The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:27 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
56scooter wrote:
Quote:
I don't believe that offering a variety of versions of a particular model inevitably results in flooding the gray market and undercutting the value of the brand. Anyone check out how many versions of the Daytona are available these days? :wink:

Take a look at Jomashop or authentic watches, both sites have numerous watches currently being offered on Breitling.com for 40% off. With Joma i stopped counting at 25, Authentic watches you have to click on each offering to see the percentage, too much work! Although Rolex may hay numerous options with respect to Daytona Offerings I know you will no see anything near 40% off. :D :D :D

I think we may be saying the same thing in different ways. :wink: I certainly don't disagree with your assessment of the sad state of affairs out there in the gray market when it comes to Breitling.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Moana43 wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:
I was a little shocked that he released so many variations of the new Chronomat. This is the first time that I come across the company releasing the regular versions(which is already a lot) and LE at the same time. I cannot imagine if I start seeing plenty of them in boutiques and ADs a few mths later.

I've seen this view expressed a few times here, but, I must admit, I have a very different reaction.

In the Schneider era, there used to be many, many versions of the Chronomat. I will admit that I enjoyed visiting the Breitling website and playing with the function that allowed you to mix and match different case materials, dials and straps. It was a blast!

Even though I knew that a new rollout of the Chronomat was coming at some point, it was frustrating to go to the recent website and only see a couple of different options for this model. So, I, for one, am very glad to see the variety of Chronomats that has been introduced in one fell swoop. Honestly, I think the particular choices made as to the dials are really solid. To me, it's a "right-sized" release -- just enough different models to give consumers some great choices.

I don't believe that offering a variety of versions of a particular model inevitably results in flooding the gray market and undercutting the value of the brand. Anyone check out how many versions of the Daytona are available these days? :wink:

I'm with you on this one Jim. I have no problem at all with multiple dial/strap combinations as there's nothing more frustrating than finding a model you like, only to find that you REALLY want it in a dial that's not offered.

On the subject of grey market and resale prices and all that stuff, then personally I honestly couldn't care less. I frequent a number of Rolex forums and FB groups and the CONSTANT posts about resale value / investment, etc, absolutely does my head in!! I buy what I like, and I buy for me (not for anyone else, or for any other reason than I like the watch), and for the last few years I've ensured that anything I buy is a keeper, so resale is an utter irrelevance. If we only buy with one eye on future value, then firstly we'll miss out of things we really like, and secondly, we'll only buy Rolex or Patek! At that point, this "watch thing" of ours stops being a fun hobby, and starts being a (really poor) investment vehicle.

Site Moderator

MickeyWatch likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:42 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Moana43 wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:
I was a little shocked that he released so many variations of the new Chronomat. This is the first time that I come across the company releasing the regular versions(which is already a lot) and LE at the same time. I cannot imagine if I start seeing plenty of them in boutiques and ADs a few mths later.

I've seen this view expressed a few times here, but, I must admit, I have a very different reaction.

In the Schneider era, there used to be many, many versions of the Chronomat. I will admit that I enjoyed visiting the Breitling website and playing with the function that allowed you to mix and match different case materials, dials and straps. It was a blast!

Even though I knew that a new rollout of the Chronomat was coming at some point, it was frustrating to go to the recent website and only see a couple of different options for this model. So, I, for one, am very glad to see the variety of Chronomats that has been introduced in one fell swoop. Honestly, I think the particular choices made as to the dials are really solid. To me, it's a "right-sized" release -- just enough different models to give consumers some great choices.

I'm with you on this one Jim. I have no problem at all with multiple dial/strap combinations as there's nothing more frustrating than finding a model you like, only to find that you REALLY want it in a dial that's not offered.

On the subject of grey market and resale prices and all that stuff, then personally I honestly couldn't care less. I frequent a number of Rolex forums and FB groups and the CONSTANT posts about resale value / investment, etc, absolutely does my head in!! I buy what I like, and I buy for me (not for anyone else, or for any other reason than I like the watch), and for the last few years I've ensured that anything I buy is a keeper, so resale is an utter irrelevance. If we only buy with one eye on future value, then firstly we'll miss out of things we really like, and secondly, we'll only buy Rolex or Patek! At that point, this "watch thing" of ours stops being a fun hobby, and starts being a (really poor) investment vehicle.

100% agree...if you buy what you like then resale doesn't matter. If you get lucky and a watch goes up in popularity (value) that's just icing on the cake. I will say that I love a good watch box and warranty card but if a 2 year warranty card is the difference between paying $5,850 plus tax or $3,495 for the exact same watch...I see the attraction of the grey market.

I do hate what the grey market pricing does to the brand though...that's the rub.

Last edited by MickeyWatch on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:46 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Driver8 wrote:

I hear you, Driver. I only buy watches I intend to keep, so resale price is not a factor in the decision-making process. It is maddening to me to come across posts on various forums that factor resale value into the qualitative assessment of any watch. Those are two entirely different things, and I hate it when folks are glibly dismissive of a particular brand or watch based on that factor alone. Incidentally, you see that approach relative to a variety of great brands.

I do think, however, that there may be a way of looking at this that isn't so much about preserving individual resale value, as it is about improving the perceived prestige of the brand -- which, in the end is healthy for the brand as a whole. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but that's my sense of things. :wink:

MickeyWatch likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
I do think, however, that there may be a way of looking at this that isn't so much about preserving individual resale value, as it is about improving the perceived prestige of the brand -- which, in the end is healthy for the brand as a whole. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but that's my sense of things. :wink:

Thank you Jim, I could not have set it better myself!

My peeve is that Georges Kern talks about Breitling as a luxury brand, his opinion is that they will look to sell watches with prices between $3500 and $9000. As has been stated before these watches are "highly priced baubles in an entirely unnecessary product category". They can only be defined as luxury items. With Georges appealing to a new demographic it would be nice to see Breitling recognized as a true luxury brand. Otherwise, it would be like seeing your favorite BMW being sold for 40% off in no name car lot after purchasing one at the dealer and only getting 10% off of MSRP!

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
On the subject of grey market and resale prices and all that stuff, then personally I honestly couldn't care less. I frequent a number of Rolex forums and FB groups and the CONSTANT posts about resale value / investment, etc, absolutely does my head in!! I buy what I like, and I buy for me (not for anyone else, or for any other reason than I like the watch), and for the last few years I've ensured that anything I buy is a keeper, so resale is an utter irrelevance.

I'm in the same boat (though I hear the point that's been made about depreciation affecting perceptions of prestige). One thing I'd add is that of course low resale prices are actually an upside if you like buying Breitlings secondhand, i.e. if you can't beat 'em, join 'em ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:15 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Moana43 wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:

Regardless of how one may have felt about the offerings of the Schneider era, one of the things I really liked about that period was the spirit of creativity and the willingness to take chances -- even though certain approaches may have backfired at times. Similarly, regardless of how one may feel about the offerings of the Kern era, the recent releases -- complete with Rainbow SOH -- reflect a similar dynamic in my view. For me, that's what has always attracted me to Breitling, and what has set it off from other brands. There will continue to be hits and misses, of course -- but, I welcome what I'm seeing these days.

Agree with you on a few things. When the Chronomat 01 was launched, they launched many versions and options, and allowed customers to choose their dream combo. So you don't often see the exact same model and combo on other wrists as compared to yours, which at the same time also portray the versatility side of the model. However every advantage will have its downsides, which the company is supposed to forsee and counter that. It was a pity that the company could have adopted better strategies to adorn the image of this model. After all, being the first in-house model, it is such an important model that they could have done much better, as compared to just flooding the market with huge quantities and degrading its value. You are right that the Daytona has plenty of versions. However notice that in every model line, including the Daytona, Rolex would have at least one version that is highly desirable, and they know how to do that. Also notice that they rarely launch many variations at one go. I guess doing well in horology business is more than just designing good looking watches, but more importantly what they do to enhance the prestige of a model, that also affects the overall image of the brand as well.

I used to disregard resale value and feel that it's foolish to buy a watch because of it, because one can always buy a pre-owned at the right price, and flip for a profit anytime, regardless of the brand, if resale is ever a concern. I never buy a watch with the intention to sell. However it is always welcoming to know what you are wearing on yr wrist is increasing in value and desirable. After all it is not a few hundred dollars toy, but thousands of dollars, which in my opinion, is classified as an asset in my eyes. Breitling watches has always been one of the value for money out there, or rather undervalued IMO. IMHO it was due to improper marketing and business strategy that their resale had been low.

From the original Breitling family, to Schenider, to George Kerns era, despite many criticisms of certain models and their designs(especially Teddy Schneider era), my opinion is that it was never about aesthetics issue. Aesthetics expectations are very personal, and I believe that every watch designer would have what it takes, that was why they were chosen and employed by the company. All the comments about "design errors", are purely subjective, because of our different expectations. IMO designing a good luxury watch takes more than just making a luxury watch look nice, but more of the significance behind every detail of a luxury watch, that a layman will not know, not even watch bloggers or enthusiast, because we are simply not trained professionally in these areas. That is what makes a luxury watch, a luxury watch. However it is how the company carries these "encrypted" designs and brings them across to consumers. I agree one area that Breitling has been distinguishing itself from its peers is its creativity and willingness to take bold steps, but some "backfired" not because of design IMO, but it was lack of good business strategy and action. Where this is concerned, on a positive note, I believe GK will at least do better.

Being negative once again(so sorry), not sure if I am the only one feeling this way, I have not been able to understand many Breitling advertisements, like the current ones. They show a few celebrities chatting with one another, can't even see what they are wearing on their wrists. The message behind the advertisements is not clear. I miss the Breitling Jet Team, although I know it cost the company quite a sum. Tried wingwalking in UK with their ex-pilot and wingwalker a few mths back. Was honored to have met them and they too felt a pity that the company have stopped the sponsorship program.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
well, I'll try to bring that back to watches & finishing a bit ;)

detail of the New Chronomat & the "Panna Cotta" pushers (yes, that's what's people are starting to call them...)

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:09 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

So, Fred — is you don’t mind, another question. I was trying to figure out whether the green dial on the new Chronomat is the same color used on the Bentley Premier. They appear to be different to my eye, but perhaps you could shed some light on that. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
it is different, Jim; quite a bit lighter, as the Premier Bentley turned too dark in some lighting situation; true "Racing Green", lacquered & polished.

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:29 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
it is different, Jim; quite a bit lighter, as the Premier Bentley turned too dark in some lighting situation; true "Racing Green", lacquered & polished.

Thanks, Fred — that’s exactly how it looked to me from the photos. Very striking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:59 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
I really love the look of the chronomat. I’d probably prefer a brushed bezel and minute indicies all the way around, but it’s unique and different as is. I think it stands out in the market. The bracelet looks great in the live pics on GK’s feed.

Though, I think the standout is this orange on orange SuperOcean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:42 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 285 posts
Brilliant read,thank for the opinions,I’ve been after a nice steel and gold breitling watch to add to my collection.
Love the white dialled chronograph with the gold riders etc.
Next breitling for me,
Stay safe everyone
Colin

Breitling Chronomat Longitude
Breitling Chronospace automatic
Breitling Navitimer B01
Breitling Skyland Avenger
Breitling Skyracer Automatic
G Shock Work Watch

CGS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:45 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I was nervous about this release I wanted to be good and GK didnt dissapoint.

The new Chronomat rocks and the hardest part is choosing a dial color! Im torn between the White Panda and the Frecce Tricolori (that blue is so soothing to my eyes)

At first I wanted the bezel to be fully indexed but now I can live with it.
Only thing missing was the wings logo!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
JorgeB wrote:
Only thing missing was the wings logo!

:yeahthat This alone prevents me from getting the model. They used the wings logo on the so called professional range. Even SO gets the wings, when it has nothing to do with aviation. I would prefer to either adopt Wings logo either on icon models(Navi & Chronomat), or LE versions to distinguish the identities. Chronomat is the only model in the entire Breitling line that fully fulfills the spirit of the wings logo(air, land and sea). A true pity not to use it. Hope GK can adopt it on the model again in future.

2 people like this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next