The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 63 posts
Recently traded my Omega planet ocean for Breitling SOH II and some cash. After receiving the watch, I immediately noticed that the manual was fake based on printed quality, especially the Breitling logo on the front. Since it didn’t come with paperwork (usually never buy any watches without), I took it and compared it side by side with my brothers real one. Honestly, I couldn’t see any difference and still can’t. This thing even has AR coating on the crystal. So this morning I went to a local watchmaker and sure thing it’s a fake. Just want you all to be careful with these as I haven’t seen this good of a copy in 20 years since I got into watches. I will post some pictures side by side shortly showing the real one on the left side, and fake on the right. The movement had Breitling markings on the oscillating weight as well.

Last edited by Veki on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zak57 likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Real movement

Fake movement

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Real

Fake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirbusA330 likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:49 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
That is a very convincing fake, unbelievable. I worry how many are out there and how many other models have been cloned. I'm after a SO Y17393 so I'll be well way of any apparent bargains. Thanks for highlighting......

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Yes fakes these days are getting incredibly close to the real thing (well, superficially at least). :x

I've actually been a member of a replica forum for a number of years - I've never posted a thing on there - but I joined up to lurk and learn, and just stay abreast of the latest fake developments. The guys on there are crazy for the tiniest of details, so they're a great resource for knowing what to look for.

Unfortunately though some fakes are now so close to the real thing that I'd never consider buying certain models from anywhere other than an AD.

Site Moderator

AirbusA330 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:49 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Yes fakes these days are getting incredibly close to the real thing (well, superficially at least). :x

I've actually been a member of a replica forum for a number of years - I've never posted a thing on there - but I joined up to lurk and learn, and just stay abreast of the latest fake developments. The guys on there are crazy for the tiniest of details, so they're a great resource for knowing what to look for.

Unfortunately though some fakes are now so close to the real thing that I'd never consider buying certain models from anywhere other than an AD.

Yes very good advice. The pictures posted here are frightening as I've looked at them carefully myself and still can't tell the difference. I would also only ever buy a pre-owned watch from an AD.
On a different note, one of the things that astounds me is that I have seen fake watches advertised as fakes, with no attempt to hide it. They look very convincing (like the pictures here); and are priced really high. For example, a Breitling Bentley for £500. You could buy a genuine Tag Heuer or even an older genuine Breitling for the same money; yet the buyer prefers to buy a watch that is by all accounts a piece of rubbish instead. Are people really that vain to think that they will look impressive to others, so that (s)he thinks that they are going to get admiring looks, as if people are really impressed by the watch on their wrist as if it is some sort of symbol of success; a bit like, say, driving a Bentley so everyone thinks they are rich?
What a strange world we live in.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Lume on rep looks more bubbly, spherical, not so neatly applied and centered, but very hard to spot without side by side comparison. Pearl is less sunken. Looks like seconds hand is a bit shorter.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:55 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Fake

Real

DreamWatcher likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Lume color is a bit greenish and date font thinner on the rep. It's scary, bcs without the gen in the other hand, it would be almost impossible to tell.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:34 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Wow that is a good fake. Without direct side by side its tough to tell unless you see the movement. Even side by side you need to look pretty closely to spot any differences. This is one of the models I would never touch without the full papers and electronic warranty card. The fake is just too good.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:45 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Veki wrote:
Fake

Real

Thanks for posting. That was a really really good fake when you look at it on the photos. As you say, it's really difficult to spot the fake and I also have an original (hopefully ) to compare with. I think it's actually the strap were you can spot it the easiest. More blue colour, the side is flat and the curve on he strap is more flat than the original. But it would be very easy for someone paying ~70-100$ to put on a original strap. Many times the clasp is not very good on the fakes, would be interesting with pictures on that. Except for what other people has mentioned I also can see that on the hour hand the luminance and inside part is a little cut off in the end pointing outwards. It's not perfect sharp. But this is really really smal differences.

How does it look in a magnifier glas? Normally you can almost always see that the finishing is not so good on the fakes metal parts and prints when every edge and so on is perfect on the original in a magnifier.

A strange thing, maybe just the photo. The two metal plates indication 12 o'clock doesn't seem to have the same size on the original.