Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Caribbean Discounts?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:54 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I'm heading to the Caribbean in a few months for vacation and I'm going to pick up the Steelfish I've decided to buy. I've got some quotes from Little Switzerland and Azura in St. Thomas and they both gave me the same price, which amounts to a 20% discount on US retail. Has anyone had any luck wheeling and dealing with any authorized retailers down there to save even more money? Or should I just be happy with the 20% discount I'm already receiving plus the 9% chicago sales tax that I'm saving.

Post subject: Re: Caribbean Discounts?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
I'm heading to the Caribbean in a few months for vacation and I'm going to pick up the Steelfish I've decided to buy. I've got some quotes from Little Switzerland and Azura in St. Thomas and they both gave me the same price, which amounts to a 20% discount on US retail. Has anyone had any luck wheeling and dealing with any authorized retailers down there to save even more money? Or should I just be happy with the 20% discount I'm already receiving plus the 9% chicago sales tax that I'm saving.

Were are you headed? I've been to nine Caribbean islands in seven years, and the best shopping experience I've came across was in Cancun, MX.

I wasn't impressed with shopping too much in St. Thomas during my week long stay there. I purchased a Blue diamond ring for my wife there, and that's about it.

I visited Little Switzerland in Curacao last week. I had a terrible experience there. Large discounts aren't going to happen at Little Switzerland. You'll get a better deal stateside from a reputable broker online!

As I mentioned before, the only AD in the Caribbean I've ever had luck with was Ultra Jewels in Cancun, MX when I bought my Rolex Submariner w/datejust. If you're headed to The Yucatan, check them out!

Have a great trip!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:30 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

My wife and I are going on a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Johns, St. Maarten, and Nassau. Both stores have offered me layaway options until I get there, but then I figured I'm locked in at that price. I've visited the Tourneau in Chicago and they've said the do deal some, but the salesperson I met with had just started and didn't know much about Breitlings. I guess I'm just wondering if I can save more money or not. I think there are pros and cons to buying my watch in the Caribbean, and also pros and cons to buying it stateside. I'm very hesitant to buying on-line, even if the dealer has a good reputation. I just like to see what I'm getting, I guess I'm just picky that way.

Post subject: Re: Caribbean Discounts?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
Or should I just be happy with the 20% discount I'm already receiving plus the 9% chicago sales tax that I'm saving.

If they are offering you 20% off US list, that's not a good deal - if they are offering you 20% off of the effective 'street' price, it's decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

jnelson3097 wrote:
My wife and I are going on a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Johns, St. Maarten, and Nassau. Both stores have offered me layaway options until I get there, but then I figured I'm locked in at that price. I've visited the Tourneau in Chicago and they've said the do deal some, but the salesperson I met with had just started and didn't know much about Breitlings. I guess I'm just wondering if I can save more money or not. I think there are pros and cons to buying my watch in the Caribbean, and also pros and cons to buying it stateside. I'm very hesitant to buying on-line, even if the dealer has a good reputation. I just like to see what I'm getting, I guess I'm just picky that way.

I know what you mean about seeing the product. Hopefully your experience will be much better than mine. The sales person at Little Switzerland I visited with was clueless about the product. Worst case scenario, shop for the best price, and look while you're on vacation.

Enjoy your trip, Puerto Rico is a nice island, St. Thomas is a bit dirty, but check out Magens Bay, and Coral World over near Sugar Bay. As for St. John, 2/3 of this island is a National Park. Annaberg ruins, and Trunk Bay were may favorites to visit there. You can rent a Jeep in St. Thomas, pay $30 bucks and ride the ferry over from Red Hook in St. Thomas with your rental to explore St. John by vehicle. Most of the National Parks have a small entry fee, usually $3. If you're a diver you'll really enjoy the Virgin Islands.

St. Maarten is a nice island. Half Dutch, half French. I have a friend that lives there. Maho Beach is so cool. Nothing like getting buzzed by incoming aircraft!

Nassau is fun, Paradise Island is beautiful, second home to many celebrities (M. Jordan, Mick Jager, Wayne Gretzky). Bay Street is the main drag in Nassau. The straw markets are a hassle, don't buy cigars there. The cigars there are mostly fakes! Enjoy a Kalik beer in a brown sack as you stroll Bay Street. A few watch retailers there, I think John Bull is the Rolex dealer there if memory serves me. Check out Ardastra Gardens & Zoo. Nelson Mandela has even visited there! It's a neat little zoo that has alot of beautiful wildlife. Ask to hand feed the Lories! You'll enjoy it!

Have a great trip, I hope you come home with a timepiece!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:26 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Little Switzerland quoted me a price of $2016 and Tourneau has the watch at $2520. I saw some of the power sellers on ebay selling the Steelfish with the professional II bracelet for $1920. What do you consider effective street price of the Steelfish? I saw jomashop had it listed at $2223.

Thanks for the tips Brian. I know we're planning on going to Magen's Bay for a few hours in St. Thomas. It's the first time I've ever been to that side of the Caribbean. I know what you mean about the straw markets in Nassau, we were there in March when I first considered buying a Breitling but we've never been anywhere besides Bay Street. We're not going until March, but since this is my first Breitling purchase, I want to make sure that I get the watch I want for the best price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:01 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I just looked up the Steelfish online and found it for $1890 w/free shipping from www.Prestigetime.com . It looks like they have it in silver, blue, and black dial models.

Retail on the SuperOcean Steelfish is around $23-2400.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:14 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks for that site Brian. I think I'm going to try and deal some when I'm down there and forget the layaway option they've offered me. I've been working with a customer service manager at Little Swiss so maybe I can the price down some.