The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:17 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Received a quote from Breitling to do above service for my 2007 Super Ocean and cost was $333.00. I am finding that a bit steep. Any tips on DIY etching to make numbers look new. TIA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:03 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I guess a lot will depend on the overall condition of your bezel - i.e. does it need repolishing as well as the black numerals being repainted. If so, then you might need to bite the bullet and either pay Breitling's prices, or look for a reputable aftermarket watchmaker - for example you could Jack at "International Watch Works".

Alternatively if it's just the bezel markings, you could attempt a little DIY refurb yourself. A lot of Doxa watches suffer from painted bezel markings wearing off, and I've heard that enamel paint used for model making, and a very fine brush is a great DIY option. As I understand it (and I suggest you look this up on YouTube or similar first before attempting anything!) the best process is to apply the paint to the markings as accurately as you can, and then wipe off any excess from the top surface of the bezel with a cloth lightly dampened with white spirit. Obviously I'd suggest you remove the bezel first if you're going to be wiping it with white spirit.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, only attempt this after a bit of online research and only if you're confident you know what you're doing!

Site Moderator

drewsully likes this post.