The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:48 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I purchased a SuperOcean 42 nearly two years ago. In January 2019 I returned the watch for service under the warranty because it quit running. I wear the watch 7 days a week and almost never take it off. It ran great for about the first six months and then it would quit running at random. Didn't matter what day, what week or what time, it would quit running. It was repaired and returned to me around early May of this year (2019). It performed flawlessly until today. I looked down at the watch and saw it had quit running. It is exhibiting the same problem as it had before. Just quits when ever it wants and will not run. Sometimes with a light shake it will start and run as normal. In summation, I am sending it back for repair a second time in hopes the problem will be solved. I have enjoyed the watch and look forward to getting it back. My question is "has anyone else had problems with their SuperOcean"? If so, what was the fix for the issue? Like I said, I really like the watch just hate to go through this again.

Last edited by RidgeRunner on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:40 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
When you give the watch a full wind with the crown, it won't run? Have you ever tested the power Reserve by just winding it fully and then letting it run down?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:43 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
natesen wrote:
When you give the watch a full wind with the crown, it won't run? Have you ever tested the power Reserve by just winding it fully and then letting it run down?

Thank you for your response and sorry for the delay in replying. I did not give it a full wind or test the power reserve. I assumed a new watch, worn seven days a week, would automatically wind. Additionally, my watch was sent to Breitling back in January 2019. It was exhibiting the same failure then. I assumed they repaired it and have had no reason to wind the crown or test the reserve. I almost never take the watch off. Wear it constantly. Is it good practice to do as you suggest? I thought if I wore it 24/7 it would wind and need no assistance from me to keep it running. Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:45 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
RidgeRunner wrote:
natesen wrote:

Thank you for your response and sorry for the delay in replying. I did not give it a full wind or test the power reserve. I assumed a new watch, worn seven days a week, would automatically wind. Additionally, my watch was sent to Breitling back in January 2019. It was exhibiting the same failure then. I assumed they repaired it and have had no reason to wind the crown or test the reserve. I almost never take the watch off. Wear it constantly. Is it good practice to do as you suggest? I thought if I wore it 24/7 it would wind and need no assistance from me to keep it running. Thanks again for your time and suggestions.
It might not be a failure at all... Automatic watches depend on how much each person actually moves. If I sit in a chair and don't move that much for the majority of the day then there is nothing winding the watch. The act of phsycially wearing doesn't do anything for the winding. So me having a job where I'm on my feet a lot, I might wind my watch more in 2 hours than some people do in 24 hours.

Wind it fully once to start with a full power reserve. And you might just be borderline on some days in regards to how much winding it's getting which is causing it to stop. There is nothing wrong with winding the crown a bit every few days just to make sure it's full again so it doesn't stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
As above. You have to start with a full wind to establish what the reserve actually is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
I think a full wound will be needed to first determine it's run time or capacity. Then if worn and in motion, it will self wound and will last a while. So it may not necessarily be bad...

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk