The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:05 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
When I visited the NYC Boutique a couple of weeks ago, I did not walk out with a new watch. I, did, however, walk out with a new 2019/2020 Chronolog. I set it aside when I got home, and only today sat down with it over some morning coffee. I'm glad I did.

Speaking only for myself, over the last couple of years I have often found it hard to tie things together in terms of Breitling's overall direction. In large part, I think this may be due to the fact that Breitling's marketing these days comes in soundbites via social media. Isolated revelations on Instagram, for example, often leave me wondering how any particular new factoid fits into a larger scheme. To me, it all seems a bit disjointed. (And, perhaps now, it's time for a chorus of "OK, Boomer"... :lol:)

When I reviewed the Chronolog page by page this morning, I came away with a very different view of where Breitling stands in its evolution. Starting from page one, there is no question but that the very first pillar of Breitling is its aviation heritage. The Navitimer is first up, followed by the Aviator 8 (which has now come into its own with a distinct identity steeped in Breitling aviation DNA) -- then on to the Avenger and the Colt. Indeed, the aviation watches take up the first half of the Chronolog, which integrates aviation images and themes. To me, that makes a statement all by itself.

Then, it's on to the "Ocean" watches. While I may have been somewhat cynical initially about the "Surfer Squad" approach, the Chronolog has turned me around completely. For some time, going back a few years, it has always seemed that this segment of the Breitling family was a bit out on its own -- not really connected in any kind of meaningful way with Breitling's other offerings. There was no unique identity that made this branch of the family independently desirable for watch aficionados generally (perhaps with the exception of the SOH pieces). But the presentation in the Chronolog creates a real vibe, and represents an effort to allow the "Ocean" watches their own cool identity and space -- and it's certainly targeted to a younger, active crowd. Once I "got it", I had to smile, as I find this particular marketing approach to be completely consistent with where Willy Breitling was headed in 1964:

Moving on, the Premier is next up, and after that, the Chronomat, Professional, and Galactic models. The production value of the Chronolog is excellent -- really impressive presentation all the way through.

So, what was the net effect of all this? For me, it served to tie the whole brand together in a way that is impressive, and that makes me feel like things are very much on solid ground and positioned to take off even further -- all in a way that is respectful of tradition, while, at the same time, retaining a bit of an adventuresome and creative bent, which is one of the qualities that has always magnetized me to the brand.

In any event -- a job well done. The Chronolog tells a story -- and it's a good one.

4 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:01 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Thanks for info

While it's nice to have a real Chronolog in paper, I didn't know that you can now download one in PDF which is a nice, space and paper saving option :lingsrock:

C/P of link doesn't work, but there it is, in lower right corner on Breitling.com under Download Chronolog :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Thanks for this, and for the link. I note that the Chronolog doesn't really resolve the rumours about the retirement of the Aerospace: it's not featured on the Contents page [4], from which one infers that, wow, it really has been discontinued; but then it's pictured at the very end of the general Glossary [239-40], which implies that it lives on. It's always featured properly in previous Chronologs, so the apparent marginalisation does seem curious.

WatchFred likes this post.