The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:34 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 4 posts
Seeing this watch online never did it for me, but when I tried one on, it looked so beautiful and classy in the flesh. It fitted my requirement for a sexy chrono closeup but subtle at a distance, and crucially easy to wear.

Attachment:
EF2F0F99-78B4-4A6C-A03E-ACC042837C6C.jpeg

Personally, I recently decided to remodel my collection around my most liked in each genre, and the Breitling Aviator 8 comes to fill the chronograph slot. I wanted something I could wear on a daily basis if required, very cool and smart but not too flashy, and also thinish and nicely fitting on my 6.75” wrist.

Attachment:
36CE9C31-A703-41D5-847B-67327EA37693.jpeg

In some ways the Aviator 8 Chronograph, my example cruising the earlier Navitimer text, exemplifies the goal. Stripped back, dwarf star robustness and a hint of flash. The Aviator has the iconic Navitimer Chronographs on one side and the flashy Chronomats on the other, combining the DNA of both in a more laid back daily wearer.

In this sense it perfectly achieves what it sets out to do. Consider, it’s a chronometer certified chronograph and yet touches 14mm thin, even less if you take out the concave base. In some ways it reminds me of the surprise I had when putting on the Avenger GMT, which is the thinnest GMT I have worn. Its not thin from a three hander perspective, but svelte as a chronograph. The chronograph is a lovely complication, and the Aviator 8 makes it useful by having a twelve hour dial.

Attachment:
ED43C58E-2F5C-49B3-AFA0-0A3EF9B8CF43.jpeg

The body is compact, the sapphire crystal is flat, punct, aviator like. With the bracelet it has some reassuring heft, but not too much. The lugs sweep down sharply and are stubby, allowing the bracelet to drop vertically. Result ? a 43mm watch that wears like a 41mm, less then 50mm lug to lug, and perfect on my 6.75” wrist. Looking fine even on Tim’s 16cm/6.3” wrist on WatchBox …

Attachment:
BD0E0D23-386C-447C-A928-5F27973A3928.jpeg

The bracelet has that unique Breitling stylish slanted design and the sharp locking, but flexible buckle with four micro adjusts, sans diving extension. The screw down crown means that it can stay on throughout a holiday, or leisure activity.

Everything is brushed, except for a hint of gloss via the chamfering on the edge of the body and the side edge of the bezel. Very men-in-black :). Only a glint from a distance, but the slanted bracelet, thin but stiff multi-directional bevelled bezel and inky black face shine out when close. The blue version is a sexy sunburst, the matt green military/jungle undercover and the black is pure class.

The lume is bright and useful, and emphasises the numbers all of which are complete. Personally I don’t like damaged numbers and luckily that is not the Breitling way.

Attachment:
642B9CA9-FFEE-43D2-977E-37600760151F.jpeg

The brushed look is very purposeful and a key attractor for me to the Chronometer 7750 version. The B01 version is cooler with the display back, but on that model the centre link of the bracelet and the whole bezel are now shiny, moving over to the glam side. Its just a different look. Less Bond, more Le Chiffre.

Talking about the 7750, it’s a very interesting movement, very robust and accurate, particularly here as the chronometer grade.
Mine is +1.4s which is in the top group of watches I have had, only pipped by the Kenissi GMT movements I have in my Tudor GMT and Norqain GMT
(3) Valjoux 7750 - YouTube

The dial fonts, in line with Breitling’s new uncluttered design goal, combined with the long lumed hands, are razor clear. Laid back minute markings and numbers lie behind the applied hour numbers. Cleverly, the three sub-dials each have slightly different graduations, and each have 0, 3 and 4 numbers respectively, making them easy to see apart. The very useful day date nestles between the dial text on the right, topped by the Breitling logo, balancing in perfectly with the three dials. The bezel has a single marker for a simple timer. This is retained on the latest non-chrono versions but is replaced with twelve numbers on the latest chrono version. Personally I like the minimalist original bezel, but acknowledge the higher utility of the new numbered one. The knurled bezel is actually a key feature of this watch. It is quite beautiful in a rugged way, and makes the look quite unique. The Matt top surface and knurling also make it good at both being resistant to scratches and concealing them.

This watch won’t appeal to either the bling or the heritage icon seekers, but for those that want an exceptionally designed and finished, reliable and sexy sports or daily wearer, which can hang with a suit, slip under a shirt, splash in the swimming pool or rough it with jeans, this piece ticks all the boxes. It's a statement chronograph that is exceptionally easy to live with. I already feel a permanent part of my collection.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

4 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
Nice and detailed review, thanks for taking your time! The watch that I'm also interested in. Only concern is the diameter for my 6.7" wrist and maybe the weight on bracelet that I do not know exactly. Wear it in good health!

Last edited by Robertus on Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

colonel likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Very nice review. Glad you’re enjoying your new watch. Wear it in health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:11 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
That is a pretty thing indeed.

Enjoy!

colonel likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 174 posts
Great review and thanks for posting, this is definitely on my radar and hope to 'snag' one in the not too distant future.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Awesome thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
Dear OP,
you got a PM :)
Thx, best:
Robert
PS: HNY! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 15 posts
Beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Good post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:29 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Awesome review!! Loved reading till the end. Definitely on my radar for next year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

SS Daytona w/ White Dial (116520)
SS Submariner Date (116610LN)