The Breitling Watch Source Forums
https://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/

Why is Breitling so unpopular?
https://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66335
Page 4 of 6

Author:  boogiebot [ Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

MickeyWatch wrote:
@boogiebot It would be impossible...I am not that "old" but if I kept pictures of all the watches, specifically Rolex, that I had since 1993 when I bought my first used L series (1989?) Sub in 1993 for way less than $3k or my T series that had a bit of a "crackle dial" that I was freaked out by so I sold, the 4 yes 4 Daytona's in the late 1990's....they really were not that poplular back then and the multiple white, black, white back to black Explorer II's...man those were "cheap". 4 or 5 Datejusts of varying bezel and bracelet, 2 Yacht Master over the years....7 total Submariners 5513's , 1680, 16800, 16610's - I'd hang myself with 11 watch straps buckled together from a door jam. :roll:

Now...I didn't even mention my EARLY 1990's Tudor Sub collection...my God man. I would be insane if I still had photos to look at of those...they were had for A SONG....I'd still be banging my head on a concrete wall.

The money I made "flipping" would be 1000x's if I would have or I mean could have kept them all. But the journey was AMAZING.

If anyone is interested I ended up with 3 until about 6 months ago...a 16610LV, a very new DJ 41mm WG Fluted and one of my original White Dial Explorer II's. Recently I sold my M series Sub that I bought NIB at a Jared Jewelers for $5198 and sold for $13500. I wore that sucker out...talking bracelet stretch and bezel nicks and still made 8k. Since then I have completely divested myself from "The Sub" and I feel fantastic for it! LOL Not to offend the Sub fans....

Ok I'm going to go and cry myself to sleep now.

Lot of spelling and other errors there but you get the drift.


Wow this is very impressive collection. Imagine if you still had all the Daytona pieces? Would be a pretty penny there. It’s really too bad you don’t have pics. Would be a very cool photo album. For now...I will just picture and fantasize


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Author:  MickeyWatch [ Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

@boogiebot Remember...I'm talking before the real internet...folks just didn't take photos of watches...for what? Nowhere to post but I can assure you some of the best Guinness, Scotch and Bourbon was drank back then at "watch get togethers". So many swaps and sales among friends...I can still remember it and it makes me smile. Not sales via eBay to strangers only flipping for a profit but true friends that you sold of your baby to go live with another family for awhile...and sometimes you'd buy it back 10 months later LOL

And you don't have to fantasize just google...they are all out there somewhere in a web photo...maybe you see one of mine!

Author:  boogiebot [ Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Why is Breitling so unpopular?

MickeyWatch wrote:
@boogiebot Remember...I'm talking before the real internet...folks just didn't take photos of watches...for what? Nowhere to post but I can assure you some of the best Guinness, Scotch and Bourbon was drank back then at "watch get togethers". So many swaps and sales among friends...I can still remember it and it makes me smile. Not sales via eBay to strangers only flipping for a profit but true friends that you sold of your baby to go live with another family for awhile...and sometimes you'd buy it back 10 months later LOL


Definitely before my time. My watch history is quite brief as I was only able to start purchasing real watches about a decade ago. It would have been cool to be active in the old meetup days. For now I will toast to your memories with a glass of macallan 18 this evening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Author:  MickeyWatch [ Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

boogiebot wrote:
MickeyWatch wrote:
@boogiebot Remember...I'm talking before the real internet...folks just didn't take photos of watches...for what? Nowhere to post but I can assure you some of the best Guinness, Scotch and Bourbon was drank back then at "watch get togethers". So many swaps and sales among friends...I can still remember it and it makes me smile. Not sales via eBay to strangers only flipping for a profit but true friends that you sold of your baby to go live with another family for awhile...and sometimes you'd buy it back 10 months later LOL


Definitely before my time. My watch history is quite brief as I was only able to start purchasing real watches about a decade ago. It would have been cool to be active in the old meetup days. For now I will toast to your memories with a glass of macallan 18 this evening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Your not that older than me! You just needed to start earlier! LOL

Author:  GORT [ Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

I was a Rolex guy (1680 sub) for thirty years, then discovered Breitling in 2009, I was attracted to the then new B01 chronomat because it was gorgeous and I liked that it had an in-house movement. I have over the years added a superocean 44 for diving, an aerospace evo as a shop beater watch (love the usefulness of the quartz movement on the evo), and latest an Omega and base model Panerai, both with in-house movements. I keep looking for “the next Breitling”, but am becoming disenchanted with the brand because of things like that fiasco with the Navitimer 8 that wasn’t a navitimer, and lately the “special editions” that seem to be the same stuff with new dials and fancy names. I had a chronospace military for a while, and barely got half what I paid when I sold it. That certainly does not go a long way to make me want to invest in additional Breitlings. All my other brands hold their value way better, although I did not buy them for an investment, it is important that a watch shows reasonable value retention. So basically, I have become one of those watch buyers less likely to buy Breitling. With respect, I think Mr. Kern could do better by resisting the urge to slap a new dial and finish on a watch, and call it special or limited, as it’s becoming kind of ridiculous. I would love to see some real innovation (and I don’t mean the “smartwatch wannabe connected” crap) that would get me excited about Breitling again. Not sure what that is, but I would know it if I saw it.

Author:  Batushka [ Tue May 05, 2020 4:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

You say you don't want to invest in a new Breitling, but you also say you don't buy them as investments. To me it sounds like you should be buying used if your concerned about resale value. Breitling is probably not for you otherwise, just stick to the other brands you mention or you won't be happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Author:  beaney [ Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

I’m not sure if it’s unpopular. I think it is well respected by watch people, and maybe not know by non-watch people.

Certainly the investors will always trend towards Rolex, as those watches are currently making good money, and they are also the default choice for people who don’t know about watches, but have made a bit of money.

As has been said above, the commercial aspect of Breitling will always mean greater supply (and therefore lower resale) than Rolex who can restrict supply to support resale vals. But I agree that if making money is your only motivation for buying a watch then buy a Rolex.

While I understand that Breitling has to make a profit, my one gripe is the endless release of special editions, which is a little tiring. The latest “special edition to celebrate the Bentley special editions” just typifies it. I think they do so many releases that they undermine the ‘standard’ models and just aren’t needed. Have one or two specials, but not one a month!

However, having owned a Sub and my Montbrillant, I’ve found the Breitling to be more reliable, more comfortable, and prettier. In fact, the Rolex barely got noticed, and when it did, it was often accompanied by the person muttering “tw@t” under their breath. Whereas I’ve had far more people notice the Breitling and comment positively and say how much they like it! It’s a nicer watch to wear.

So I don’t think it’s unpopular, but due to the commercial aspect of the business, for the foreseeable future it’s going to be a brand for people who like watches, as opposed to a status symbol for people who don’t know about watches, or who only want a watch that is going to make them money.

Author:  Taragaca [ Wed May 06, 2020 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

You nailed it! Thank you.

beaney wrote:
I’m not sure if it’s unpopular. I think it is well respected by watch people, and maybe not know by non-watch people.

Certainly the investors will always trend towards Rolex, as those watches are currently making good money, and they are also the default choice for people who don’t know about watches, but have made a bit of money.

As has been said above, the commercial aspect of Breitling will always mean greater supply (and therefore lower resale) than Rolex who can restrict supply to support resale vals. But I agree that if making money is your only motivation for buying a watch then buy a Rolex.

While I understand that Breitling has to make a profit, my one gripe is the endless release of special editions, which is a little tiring. The latest “special edition to celebrate the Bentley special editions” just typifies it. I think they do so many releases that they undermine the ‘standard’ models and just aren’t needed. Have one or two specials, but not one a month!

However, having owned a Sub and my Montbrillant, I’ve found the Breitling to be more reliable, more comfortable, and prettier. In fact, the Rolex barely got noticed, and when it did, it was often accompanied by the person muttering “tw@t” under their breath. Whereas I’ve had far more people notice the Breitling and comment positively and say how much they like it! It’s a nicer watch to wear.

So I don’t think it’s unpopular, but due to the commercial aspect of the business, for the foreseeable future it’s going to be a brand for people who like watches, as opposed to a status symbol for people who don’t know about watches, or who only want a watch that is going to make them money.

Author:  Thesil [ Fri May 08, 2020 9:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

My Jeweler was a Breitling AD , but had to get rid of the line because Breitling dictates how many pieces he had to sell, and at what price. So maybe Breitling is difficult to deal with? Maybe that’s the reason

Author:  MrRoy [ Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

Thesil wrote:
My Jeweler was a Breitling AD , but had to get rid of the line because Breitling dictates how many pieces he had to sell, and at what price. So maybe Breitling is difficult to deal with? Maybe that’s the reason


Sounds like an absolute minimum. If you dont sell the watches, how can you expect to keep on being a AD? And heavy discount will make it hard for other ADs to sell the watches for retail. So ADs who basically rely on discount hurt the brand.

I dont think Rolex would accept heavy discounts on their watches either.

Author:  kjcolby1978 [ Fri May 15, 2020 4:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

Just to chime in on this topic, its not that Breitling is "unpopular"... its that the resale has absolutely tanked... back in 2007 I bought a Chronomat Evolution brand new for $4300 and sold it 2+ years later for $4000... right now I am trying to unload a B01 41mm Chronomat on bracelet for $2800 which had an MSRP close to 10 grand and its been for sale for months...

10-12 years ago I could post a Breitling for sale and it would be sold in an hour...

I have come to actually like the fact that I can spend 8000 on a Submariner, and sell it for 8000 any amount of time later... and when I post it for sale I will have 100 people banging down the door to buy it right away

Author:  56scooter [ Sat May 16, 2020 4:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

Quote:
Just to chime in on this topic, its not that Breitling is "unpopular"... its that the resale has absolutely tanked... back in 2007 I bought a Chronomat Evolution brand new for $4300 and sold it 2+ years later for $4000... right now I am trying to unload a B01 41mm Chronomat on bracelet for $2800 which had an MSRP close to 10 grand and its been for sale for months...


In my opinion the resale on most of Breitling's models has tanked as a result of "over production". Too many watches being produced without the necessary demand. Sure, everyone like the Re-editions, but those are made in limited numbers. By this time next year, the new Chronomats will be available for 50% of MSRP. Breitling has to make a concerted effort to control both production and distribution to the "grey market"! Unfortunately I do not see that happening any time soon :( :( :(

Author:  kjcolby1978 [ Sat May 16, 2020 4:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

56scooter wrote:

In my opinion the resale on most of Breitling's models has tanked as a result of "over production". Too many watches being produced without the necessary demand. Sure, everyone like the Re-editions, but those are made in limited numbers. By this time next year, the new Chronomats will be available for 50% of MSRP. Breitling has to make a concerted effort to control both production and distribution to the "grey market"! Unfortunately I do not see that happening any time soon :( :( :(


that's absolutely true... and its a shame because the watches are absolutely beautiful and the B01 movement is great... I truly want to buy an Aviator Mosquito but I know that since its such a new model its hard to obtain preowned and by the time I am ready to move on from it I will lose thousands... I guess that's just the price you pay to wear them

Author:  Taragaca [ Mon May 18, 2020 6:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

You're right about the grey market. A few weeks ago I purchased an Avenger 2 Chrono new from a grey market dealer with 2 years guarantee with 40% discount. At the same time I found pre owned on Chrono 24 for more money. Breitling should try to control the grey market.

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 SE mit Tapatalk

Author:  ranger [ Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is Breitling so unpopular?

The grey market is a different ball game altogether.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/