The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
I'd like to test the notion that Breitling is "unpopular." Actually, I think it's on par with many luxury Swiss brands: the Navitimer is routinely mentioned in top chronograph lists, there are several (dozen) celebrity endorsers (and even unofficial ones, i.e. Jerry Seinfeld), and a handful of historical Breitling pieces. Furthermore, a shockingly high number of "busy dialed" Chronomat, Colt, or even complicated SuperOceans... sell. They sell. So while I don't necessarily approve (I prefer the older stuff, personally), Breitling at least knows what sells and produces accordingly.

Now, let's be honest: the real question that the OP probably meant to ask is why Breitling loses half its value when you walk outside the door, whereas (depending on the model), a stainless steel Rolex or Patek could double. It's this "reputation" that makes these two brands more sought after, even though their products may not necessarily be as reliable (i.e., the Submariner) or durable (i.e., 5711) as some of Breitling's top watches.

What separates Rolex and Patek from Breitling, Omega, IWC, or even A. Lange & Sohne is simple: they're not corporations that have to meet a sales quota. They have no parent company that demands growth, and they have no shareholders who require increasing dividends. At their core, Rolex and Patek are independent. And when you're independent, you can afford to implement price ceilings and supply caps that induce market shortages, giving off an exclusivity that brands like IWC, Omega, and Breitling cannot.

In my humble opinion, George Kern will see Breitling produce some fantastic watches. I think Breitling's popularity will improve- but it's not going to join Rolex/Patek's rank in the exclusivity department.

And you know what? That's cool.

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
daOnlyBG wrote:

Now, let's be honest: the real question that the OP probably meant to ask is why Breitling loses half its value when you walk outside the door, whereas (depending on the model), a stainless steel Rolex or Patek could double. It's this "reputation" that makes these two brands more sought after, even though their products may not necessarily be as reliable (i.e., the Submariner) or durable (i.e., 5711) as some of Breitling's top watches.

When has the submariner not been reliable? It may be one of the best watches ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:40 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
boogiebot wrote:
daOnlyBG wrote:

When has the submariner not been reliable? It may be one of the best watches ever made.

I think he was meaning the Sub IS reliable, Boogie. (Which it is).

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:12 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
Driver8 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
daOnlyBG wrote:

I think he was meaning the Sub IS reliable, Boogie. (Which it is).

No, Boogie understood what I was referring to- but I don't think he understood what I meant, and that could be my fault.

I meant that compared to some of the movements Breitling makes (namely, the B01), the Sub's movement isn't as accurate. That actually says more about the B01 movements than the Sub's movement itself. I merely mentioned the Submariner because it's one of those watches that commands a decent premium on the market. And hey, at +/- 2 seconds per day, the Sub's movement performs fairly well. But performance wise over a year, without doing the natural movement accuracy self-regulation? B01 wins.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Ah OK, it was me that misunderstood - apologies Boogie!

However, I disagree with daOnlyBG that the B01 is inherently more accurate or reliable than a Rolex 3135. Don't get me wrong, the B01 IS a superb movement capable of very fine accuracy and has generally proved very reliable over it's relatively short lifespan, but I personally think choosing the 3135 as an example of lower reliability and/or accuracy wasn't the best choice.

The 3135 is an exceptionally fine movement with decades of proven reliability under it's belt, and let's not forget that a rating of +/-2 secs a day out of the box beats COSC's -4/+6. I've owned two Rolex's with the 3135 and they were astonishingly accurate, and my current SD43 (running the 3135's successor, the 3235) is currently running at +1 sec after 21 days since I reset it on New Years Day.

As I say, that's not to take anything away from the B01 (or it's derivatives) - Breitling make a very fine movement, and the B01 is an excellent Chronograph that can be regulated to extremely accurate timekeeping - but to say it's better in terms of reliability or accuracy than a 3135 is a huge stretch IMO.

Site Moderator

Robertus likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Ah OK, it was me that misunderstood - apologies Boogie!

However, I disagree with daOnlyBG that the B01 is inherently more accurate or reliable than a Rolex 3135. Don't get me wrong, the B01 IS a superb movement capable of very fine accuracy and has generally proved very reliable over it's relatively short lifespan, but I personally think choosing the 3135 as an example of lower reliability and/or accuracy wasn't the best choice.

The 3135 is an exceptionally fine movement with decades of proven reliability under it's belt, and let's not forget that a rating of +/-2 secs a day out of the box beats COSC's -4/+6. I've owned two Rolex's with the 3135 and they were astonishingly accurate, and my current SD43 (running the 3135's successor, the 3235) is currently running at +1 sec after 21 days since I reset it on New Years Day.

As I say, that's not to take anything away from the B01 (or it's derivatives) - Breitling make a very fine movement, and the B01 is an excellent Chronograph that can be regulated to extremely accurate timekeeping - but to say it's better in terms of reliability or accuracy than a 3135 is a huge stretch IMO.

As of this year the patent of the silicone and similar escapement parts(owned by Patek, Rolex and Swatch Group) has expired (at least according to my knowledge) and I strongly hope that Breitling will very soon upgrade its movements (in-house first, then the rest) and thus specify them catching up with that of Rolex and Omega. Maybe with an upgrade to balance bridge too...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:38 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
I have been following the thread and I could be off but my impression of why Breitling may or may not have fallen off in popularity to me has not been a quality issue but a marketing issue . Rolex does a phenomenal job in marketing probably the best ! It’s the watch you want to aspire to when you have made it. I have been collecting watches for over 40 years , when I first started thought Tag was the hot watch to own and now they are not . I feel Breitling is falling into the same rut in marketing not quality.
I own Omega , IWC , Ulysse Nardin ,Zenith and my dress favorite a Jaegar LeCoultre Reverso.
I have a Breitling Chrno Cockpit 36 mm loved it got 22 years ago and gave to wife . Too smal and that is marketing now 42 or 44 mm is now the norm if not larger.
Bottom line is they make a great watch but are falling behind in marketing.
When you cross the border of$5k to $15k watches a lot of prestige brands open up.

Helderberg likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:28 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
As a former Rolex fanatic...wont say how many I had at my highest point as I don't want you to think me a douche...but I'm down to 2 now that I will keep forever.

I thank GOD that Breitling isn't on every wrist on every flight I take like the Submariner. I thank God and take pride...

Now beyond that I think it takes a special person to appreciate what a Breitling (in my case) Navitimer(s) do for me...the aesthetics are undeniable unless your just a poser with small wrists wearing a watch that is clearly too big for you! :idontgetit:

Another example of this in my humble opinion is the Omega SpeedMaster Professional Moon Watch...when I wear mine and/or see a person with one on I immediately know "they get it".

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

bruceybonus wrote:
I'm over in Hong Kong , and it's Rolex Rolex Rolex , nobody seems interested in breitling and the shops can't shift em

I see that as an opportunity!!!!

ALL 4 of mine were bought from/in Hong Kong...and even after I sent them off to Hangar 7, 206 Danbury Road they are were still priced at a STEAL. I could literally do that for a living...buy in HK and sell elsewhere. Wash, Rinse, Repeat- Cash. But I'm keeping them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:27 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
MCL63 wrote:
I have been following the thread and I could be off but my impression of why Breitling may or may not have fallen off in popularity to me has not been a quality issue but a marketing issue .

yeap, same as Zenith, both Breitling and Zenith doesnt know how to grab social statusers attention despite how great their watches are.

I personally dont like Rolexes
yeah, they are good watches, but they are too overhyped and too much about showing off statuses, rather than appreciating what the watch is

Helderberg likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

crepuscular wrote:
I personally dont like Rolexes
yeah, they are good watches, but they are too overhyped and too much about showing off statuses, rather than appreciating what the watch is

Overhyped - yes. But I think the rest is down to the attitude of the individual buyer.

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:04 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

MickeyWatch wrote:
As a former Rolex fanatic...wont say how many I had at my highest point as I don't want you to think me a douche...but I'm down to 2 now that I will keep forever.

I thank GOD that Breitling isn't on every wrist on every flight I take like the Submariner. I thank God and take pride...

Now beyond that I think it takes a special person to appreciate what a Breitling (in my case) Navitimer(s) do for me...the aesthetics are undeniable unless your just a poser with small wrists wearing a watch that is clearly too big for you! :idontgetit:

Another example of this in my humble opinion is the Omega SpeedMaster Professional Moon Watch...when I wear mine and/or see a person with one on I immediately know "they get it".

Why would anyone think of you as a douche because you owned a few Rolex watches. A few of my personal friends have more Rolex watches than fingers and none are douches? Even if you rocked non OEM iced Rolex watches it would be all your preference.

As far as I’m concerned, you pick and wear the watch not the other way around.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:07 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

boogiebot wrote:
MickeyWatch wrote:

Why would anyone think of you as a douche because you owned a few Rolex watches. A few of my personal friends have more Rolex watches than fingers and none are douches? Even if you rocked non OEM iced Rolex watches it would be all your preference.

My sarcasm might have missed the mark...it was a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:30 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

MickeyWatch wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
MickeyWatch wrote:

My sarcasm might have missed the mark...it was a joke.

Ah my apologies it’s hard to read tone on forums. I’d love to see your Rolex collection if you’d like to post. I’m a big fan.

MickeyWatch likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:07 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

@boogiebot It would be impossible...I am not that "old" but if I kept pictures of all the watches, specifically Rolex, that I had since 1993 when I bought my first used L series (1989?) Sub in 1993 for way less than $3k or my T series that had a bit of a "crackle dial" that I was freaked out by so I sold, the 4 yes 4 Daytona's in the late 1990's....they really were not that poplular back then and the multiple white, black, white back to black Explorer II's...man those were "cheap". 4 or 5 Datejusts of varying bezel and bracelet, 2 Yacht Master over the years....7 total Submariners 5513's , 1680, 16800, 16610's - I'd hang myself with 11 watch straps buckled together from a door jam. :roll:

Now...I didn't even mention my EARLY 1990's Tudor Sub collection...my God man. I would be insane if I still had photos to look at of those...they were had for A SONG....I'd still be banging my head on a concrete wall.

The money I made "flipping" would be 1000x's if I would have or I mean could have kept them all. But the journey was AMAZING.

If anyone is interested I ended up with 3 until about 6 months ago...a 16610LV, a very new DJ 41mm WG Fluted and one of my original White Dial Explorer II's. Recently I sold my M series Sub that I bought NIB at a Jared Jewelers for $5198 and sold for $13500. I wore that sucker out...talking bracelet stretch and bezel nicks and still made 8k. Since then I have completely divested myself from "The Sub" and I feel fantastic for it! LOL Not to offend the Sub fans....

Ok I'm going to go and cry myself to sleep now.

Lot of spelling and other errors there but you get the drift.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next