The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:33 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Oh, man -- I really love this new offering. Just so cool!

As previously advertised, I am now fully on board with the Aviator 8 series. Chock full of Breitling DNA, with some nice modern touches -- solid, in my view.

The Mosquito is just such a nice nod to the AVI, and I really like the red accents on the dial -- not to mention the hands!

Now, I'd still like to see Breitling abandon the in-house/contrasting subdial approach, which would open up other interesting aesthetic options (and would certainly be in keeping with some of Breitling's vintage offerings). Really would like to see this happen... :wink:

Gotta say, I am now officially VERY TEMPTED by this model!!! :D

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
well.... as I’m the first to answer in all your interesting new threads, quoting Georges from the summit:
It’s only the beginning.

stay tuned

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:29 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I like the Mosquito, but if I'm buying something in Aviator series anytime soon, it has to be the anthracite dial. The real life shots from Fred of that watch look amazing. I'm hoping Govberg's location in Florida next month has one in stock so I can check it out. I'll admit I haven't been to many ADs lately so I haven't had a chance to look closely but that should change next month.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:09 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
well.... as I’m the first to answer in all your interesting new threads, quoting Georges from the summit:
It’s only the beginning.

stay tuned

Fred, this is good to hear -- but it's also torture!!! :shock: :D :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:10 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

jnelson3097 wrote:
I like the Mosquito, but if I'm buying something in Aviator series anytime soon, it has to be the anthracite dial. The real life shots from Fred of that watch look amazing. I'm hoping Govberg's location in Florida next month has one in stock so I can check it out. I'll admit I haven't been to many ADs lately so I haven't had a chance to look closely but that should change next month.

I agree, Justin -- that anthracite dial version is pretty darn nice.

That being said, the bracelet pictured with the anthracite version on the website appears to include PCL's -- whereas, other versions of the Aviator 8 appear to feature a fully brushed bracelet. This is just an example of why I would like to see a full catalogue of straps/bracelets (see other thread), to allow us to make appropriate choices according to individual taste...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I think the Aviator 8 line is getting better and better. When it first came out (as the poorly named Navitimer 8 ) I didn't like it at all. I thought it was something of an exercise in blandness if I'm honest. But then came the Curtiss Warhawk version, and with just a tiny bit of colour on the dial, it started to change my mind a bit. And now we the Mosquito which I think is the best version yet by some margin. I really do like it. :thumbsup: (It's still not quite there for me to drop my hard-earned on one, but it's getting closer every time! :wink: )

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:28 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Driver8 wrote:
I think the Aviator 8 line is getting better and better. When it first came out (as the poorly named Navitimer 8 ) I didn't like it at all. I thought it was something of an exercise in blandness if I'm honest. But then came the Curtiss Warhawk version, and with just a tiny bit of colour on the dial, it started to change my mind a bit. And now we the Mosquito which I think is the best version yet by some margin. I really do like it. :thumbsup: (It's still not quite there for me to drop my hard-earned on one, but it's getting closer every time! :wink: )

I agree that the Curtiss Warhawk and the new Mosquito are also my favorites of this model, definitely more sporty and I love the lumed arabics on a pilot watch. The only thing holding me back is the 23mm lugs which limits strap options (since I'm not really a bracelet guy). If Breitling comes out with a new and complete line of 23mm straps then I will reconsider. Right now it looks like there is one strap option for each of the Warhawk and Mosquito which aren't my favorite.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:19 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
I wonder when the Ocean Classic Breitling mesh bracelet comes out in odd mm widths - 23 mm for the Aviator Chrono and 21 mm for the non-chrono. A gapless version - adjusted to the case size & shape - would be even nicer, like on some vintage Navitimers. Would fit nicely to the Flieger-style of this series. I'd certainly prefer that to the Pro III., even with the moderately higher price.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Gotta agree with you guys there. The newer Aviator 8 series are pretty nice looking watches. Hopefully they will continue to develop the line and make it a true Breitling classic icon.

Robertus likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:30 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

So — a couple of questions for anyone who may have seen the Mosquito...(Fred? :D )...

Are the markings on the subdials raised at all?

Also, I have seen photos where the subdials are distinctly silver in color, as opposed to white. Is this perception correct?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

had it on my wrist again yesterday in Zurich, could have grabbed a macro, too late.... silverwhite for the subdials, not "clean" white"
lume is raised, yes
they'll be at the boutiques & AD very, very soon, afaik NYC Madison already received some

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:26 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
lume is raised, yes

Thanks, Fred. Also wondering -- are the markers inside the minutes subdial also slightly raised (as opposed to printed)?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:32 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I must admit that, although the write up of the Mosquito on Breitling's website mentions both red and orange as part of the color scheme, I haven't really been able to make this out in the still photos of this model.

Just watched the video of the Mosquito on Breitling's website, however, and, based on the video, it appears that there is a red triangle on the bezel, and red sections on the minutes subdial. The hands, however, are orange. The video presents these colors much more distinctly than the still photos (which often tend to make it seem as if there is only one color involved).

Very nice!

In fact, it made me take another look at the only version of the Co-Pilot that I could think of with color on it -- the "Yachting" 7650 from 1968 -- and, voila! Similar approach -- red on the bezel and minutes subdial, with orange hands...

(photo borrowed from René's website)

What's nice about the Mosquito is that it seems to incorporate features from different versions of the AVI/CP over time (Arabics, bezel color, bezel numerals scheme, color of hands, etc., etc.) Really inspired, I'd say. Nicely done!

daOnlyBG likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

yes, that didn‘t happen by accident, the Yachting was on the table when designing the Mosquito.

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Moana43 wrote:
WatchFred wrote:
lume is raised, yes

Thanks, Fred. Also wondering -- are the markers inside the minutes subdial also slightly raised (as opposed to printed)?

no, they are not