Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:03 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
So, a few random thoughts...

It seems that the core size of the Avenger has been enlarged to 45mm, with a couple of offerings in the former Super Avenger zone at 48mm, and a couple of offerings in the smaller 43mm size. Honestly, this makes sense to me, since, given the thickness of the Avenger, the extra width would seem to balance out the proportions nicely.

The bezel has been simplified a bit, which, again, seems OK to me -- it's a clean look.

I really like the yellow accents on several of the models. In particular, the blue dial with yellow accents looks really nice.

Not sure why the yellow or red accents are missing from the 43mm version, however.

Interesting to see that the chrono subdials are enlarged relative to the seconds subdial. I like it. This means that the batons are slightly clipped at 11, 1, 5 and 7 -- but, honestly, it's a non-issue in my book.

The fact that the Avenger is now being offered in a brushed version is a big plus, in my view. I have always felt that this model should be offered in a brushed version, and the polished finish has kept me from pulling the trigger in the past.

I'm OK with the black titanium -- I think it offers a bit of a tactical look, which suits this model. Also nice to have more titanium options. It would be nice to see non-DLC titanium models though (other than the gray dial Bandit).

Also glad to see that the Avenger is being offered in a couple of different styles -- military stenciled arabics, as well as baton versions.

Now, as to the Avenger GMT, I'm not so sure about upsizing this particular model to 45mm, as the 43mm version seemed to be the right size for the GMT. I also question the removal of the 24-hr bezel, as this seemed to be a fairly essential feature which added to the versatility of this model. Judging only by the available renderings, I find the 24-hr scale on the rehaut to be rather microscopic, which takes away at-a-glance functionality -- not good! So, I'm not sure the changes to this model have been an improvement -- and, arguably, the previous model was more user-friendly and functional.

That being said, all in all, I think this latest issue from Breitling constitutes a positive re-imagining of the Avenger. And, I'm glad to see this model remain in the catalogue, as it is certainly one of the core contributions of the Schneider era.

So -- what are your thoughts?

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
the 45 GMT wears relatively small - check it out irl, they should be in stores very, very soon (something Breitling is striving to achieve in general, make the time span between announcements and availability very short).

yes, the GMT has lost the third timezone function in exchange for the minute bezel - irl the rehaut numerals are actually quite readable.

strategic design decision that should become clearer next year (yes, there’s finally something like long term planning :oops: )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:24 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I'm glad this line will stick around and I do like the subtle updates that they did. I always thought the Avenger GMT was an underrated watch and offered a great value so I wasn't sure of the jump to 45mm, but I'm glad to hear it'll wear a little smaller. Of the entire series, that yellow Seawolf looks amazing. I do like the new leather straps offered on those as well, but I'll comment more on those on the strap thread that was also started.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I think they all look great as they're very much an evolution of the old models (as opposed to revolution), so there's nothing untoward there to disturb existing fans.

I love the brushed finishes and I think it's brilliant to see 3 different sizes available, and that's very much something I would like to see other brands embrace (*ahem* looking at you here Rolex!).

Personally for me I think the 43mm version is the pick of the bunch, although it is a little bit of a shame not to have the yellow accents that're on the 45mm model.... but that's not a real issue IMO. And if the 45mm wears smaller like Fred said, then maybe the 45mm could be the pick.

Although they look nice enough, DLC does nothing for me - never has and never will - but people like them, so they're a solid addition to the lineup. And I assume the titanium models are still grade 2 : if they were grade 5 I'd more excited, but all in all I think the new Avengers are great.

My only real wish (as I mentioned on another thread) is that I'd love to have seen an in-house powered steel version available as well. TBH I think there'd be a market for a couple of in-house models - I'd certainly consider one! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Breitling launched an Avenger 45 Patrouille Suisse LE yesterday in Zurich, cool piece & a very cool aerobatics team, all members have to be active fighter pilots in the Air Force, the Aerobatics is "just" an additional job task..

wrist shot on the wrist of the Team Leader, call sign Gandalf, shows how well the new case sits on the wrist.

more info here: https://www.breitling.com/us-en/news/de ... tion-31596

4 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:35 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
I like the DLC versions, Having a SA BS it's nice to see the 48mm chronograph version making a comeback, Although I would like to have seen it in steel again, I like a big bold watch to weigh accordingly personally. I like my Hurricane Avenger for the size but the Breilight seems like a bit of a gimmick really as its water resistance property is only a third of Steel, and don't know if they intended but I think I am correct in thinking they haven't used it in any other model

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
That Avenger 45 Patrouille Suisse LE is fantastic looking! Really liking that one.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:06 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Just had a chance to check these out in person when I was in NYC last weekend. Gotta say, I think the new Avengers look great. My own sense is that the added couple of millimeters on the 45mm version balance out the proportions a tad better than on the 43mm version. The brushed case looks really nice. All in all, I think Breitling has done a great job in refreshing this model! :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:48 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
I stopped by an AD yesterday to check out the Avenger line. I found the Super Avenger to be too big (too thick mostly), and the standard Avenger to be too small. My other Breitlings are 46mm, which is the perfect size for me. I'm considering adding a blue dial watch, but these didn't sing to me.

Last edited by Nihon_Ni on Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:27 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 6 posts
Very much looking forward to the new Avenger series. I've had so many of the old ones and these seem to be right in line with that tradition... yet improved.

I for one am happy that they swapped out the 24 hour bezel on the Avenger GMT. I use my watches for timing all kinds of things, from situations at work, to recreation. As an avid scuba diver, the combination of a 24 hour GMT function combined with a dive bezel makes it an outstanding travel/recreation watch. For me at least, a second 24 hour register is simply redundant, as I never have found much cause to monitor 3 time zones at the same time.

Very happy to see the new direction Breitling is taking... I've strayed from the fold the last several years and thought I was pretty much done with the brand. Glad to see them coming out with products I actually want to spend my hard-earned cash on once again.

Cheers

Ross

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
That SAF edition is beautiful, although for my small wrist Avenger was always too big, but this one is a temptation :D

I had Avenger II GMT and it was a very nice watch - just the right size, thin and nicely executed. But, i sold it because of 24H bezel. Just like OP I didn't find a use for third time zone while 48 clicks of bezel were showstopper for using the bezel for more everyday timing purposes.

So I think that this was a move in right direction. Will check them IRL.

lutzwinky321 likes this post.