Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi

Total newbie here. I've been reading and watching plenty of videos and guides and forums and basically anything I can get my hands on.

My question is what kind of discounts have people seen from AD on a new Breitling?

One of my local dealer a said one time a year they do a discount if you donate to a charity... But the people online say if you are not getting a 30% discount then don't bother.

At 30% I think I'd rather just buy a new watch and lose 1k bucks when I go to sell it. I'm ok with that. However I'm just not sure that's even feasible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:44 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
You will gets discounts up to 30% from an AD if you get one with plenty of stock to sell, i would say 10 to 15 % is the norm, you won't get a direct discount from a Boutique but will get maybe a strap and clasp or another "gift".

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Arcam wrote:
You will gets discounts up to 30% from an AD if you get one with plenty of stock to sell, i would say 10 to 15 % is the norm, you won't get a direct discount from a Boutique but will get maybe a strap and clasp or another "gift".

Agree with these numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
In my opinion it is difficult to definitively state what discount is going to be available on a particular brand. As with any purchase of a luxury item the discount that you can obtain on a purchase will be dependent on the supply and demand of the given product. Popular models that AD's can sell very easily are not going to be as heavily discounted as those that are not popular. If the particular model that you are interested in is a slow mover then the AD will have more incentive to discount it more. If it a model available only in limited amounts and highly popular then discounts are going to be less. An example is the highly anticipated 1959 Navitimer re-edition, I don't believe that you will receive any monetary discount on the price of that watch. Anyone who tells you that you can get 30% off of that watch is full of "baloney". Good luck with your purchase and remember to shop around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:19 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I sincerely appreciate your guys response.

Is my math off or if I achieve a 30% off on say a Navitimer that I shouldn't lose my butt too bad on one of these watches? Maybe 1500ish?

I guess I could buy a pre-owned and lose maybe just a few hundred.

The other thing I really like... That goes with almost nothing I wear but I like the way it looks... And then I put it on my wrist was the Navitimer 8 warhawk. That thing was very very cool on my wrist!

That I am afraid of the resale on! Not that it's all about it... I just try to keep it in mind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
technom3 wrote:
Hi

Total newbie here. I've been reading and watching plenty of videos and guides and forums and basically anything I can get my hands on.

My question is what kind of discounts have people seen from AD on a new Breitling?

One of my local dealer a said one time a year they do a discount if you donate to a charity... But the people online say if you are not getting a 30% discount then don't bother.

At 30% I think I'd rather just buy a new watch and lose 1k bucks when I go to sell it. I'm ok with that. However I'm just not sure that's even feasible
You will lose more than a $1,000.00.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
technom3 wrote:

Is my math off or if I achieve a 30% off on say a Navitimer that I shouldn't lose my butt too bad on one of these watches? Maybe 1500ish?

The other thing I really like... That goes with almost nothing I wear but I like the way it looks... And then I put it on my wrist was the Navitimer 8 warhawk. That thing was very very cool on my wrist!

That I am afraid of the resale on! Not that it's all about it... I just try to keep it in mind
Are you trying to "flip" watches for a living? Do you believe one can purchase an automobile and not lose 20% when titled? Have you ever heard of the legitimate term, "deprecating asset"? Well, for the most part that is what we own with our luxury watches. To suffer less is to negotiate the very best possible price up-front. One other final thought. Purchase what you like; art work, watches, cars. One will be happier and enjoy what one has acquired.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

rlrobson08 wrote:
technom3 wrote:

Are you trying to "flip" watches for a living? Do you believe one can purchase an automobile and not lose 20% when titled? Have you ever heard of the legitimate term, "deprecating asset"? Well, for the most part that is what we own with our luxury watches. To suffer less is to negotiate the very best possible price up-front. One other final thought. Purchase what you like; art work, watches, cars. One will be happier and enjoy what one has acquired.

Funny you mention cars as high end and collectible cars is what I do for a living.

Yes I understand it depreciates... I guess I am just trying to get a feel for how much I can lose. Like I said I don't mind losing 1k dollars or roughly 20% or so. That wouldn't be the end of the world. Well none of it is... if I was going to make a living of it I would buy the deal not a particular brand of watch. I like these and Id just like to not walk in blind and OVERPAY. Thats more what this is about. Just not overpaying

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
The problem you have is that any watch (or indeed any watch brand as a whole) that you can buy for a discount WILL depreciate further when you come to sell it. If you want to retain/make money on watches then you pretty much need to buy Rolex or Patek at RRP..... but therein lies your next problem - Rolex and Patek are very hard to buy at RRP these days unless you want to spend quite some time on a waiting list.

Hence, when it comes to watches you're best to buy them for two reasons - 1) because you like them, and 2) because you plan to keep them. Personally I never even think about resale when I buy a watch.

With regards to your discount question - and remember I'm UK-based - the best discount I've had on a Breitling was 20%. Can't remember what I eventually sold it for....but it was undoubtedly for less than I paid for it.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:36 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Ok so here is my general approach with buying anything Breitling. For me I need at least 25% off the msrp otherwise I’m not buying. In my case though I have an amazing relationship with my AD and in the past 6 years we have done multiple deals. So your experience will vary.

If your from the US and you can get 15% off and buy from out of state to save sales tax that’s a pretty fantastic deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk