The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avenger next up?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Anyway, just for a bit of fun I've very quickly mocked up some alternative date positions on this new Mosquito. In fact, looking at those mock-ups I think it's not actually the 4:30 position itself that bothers me - it's just the lack of orientation of the font. (Put a word in with Georges for me please Fred! :wink: :lol: )

(Click on the picture to make it bigger)

That no-date is slam-dunk perfect!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
agree no date is the most beautiful, but general feedback from subsidiaries clearly indicates the general market still requires the date.
but also think the adapted orientation at 4:30 is an improvement, will try to convince the design team for future models.
actually, do not like the "date at 6" for the Aviator, but stay tuned for some other models next year. ;)

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:32 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Well, let me provide a different take on the date orientation issue. In terms of a 4:30 date window position, I think the current orientation is not only just fine -- I think it is preferable. That's because, in real life, when I glance at my wrist, the date is perfectly oriented for reading quickly. In other words, it is one thing to stare at a photo, where the watch is presented in a perfectly perpendicular position (and therefore presents the date in a skewed position), and quite another in terms of glancing at the wrist at one's desk, for example (where the date is actually oriented so as to be easily readable). It's the same premise that's behind the styling of the Vacheron Historiques American 1921.

For a 4:30 date window, I find the perfectly perpendicular date orientation to be somewhat jarring actually...

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I'm highly tempted to shamelessly abuse my moderator access levels and delete your last post there Jim! :wink: :lol:

Oh and while I'm about it, where's that ban button again? :nana:

Site Moderator

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

arcadelt wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
I love the fact that Breitling have made a couple of no-date models recently...and, slightly bizarrely considering it was a twin register version, one of the Premiers

Which one was that? I can’t seem to find it in the catalogue on the website.

Here you go -

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/watch ... 27507.html

It was a Waves and Wheels LE. Nice looking piece.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:41 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Driver8 wrote:
I'm highly tempted to shamelessly abuse my moderator access levels and delete your last post there Jim! :wink: :lol:

Oh and while I'm about it, where's that ban button again? :nana:

A completely reasonable approach, I think... :P :lol: :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:49 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Moana43 wrote:
Well, let me provide a different take on the date orientation issue. In terms of a 4:30 date window position, I think the current orientation is not only just fine -- I think it is preferable. That's because, in real life, when I glance at my wrist, the date is perfectly oriented for reading quickly. In other words, it is one thing to stare at a photo, where the watch is presented in a perfectly perpendicular position (and therefore presents the date in a skewed position), and quite another in terms of glancing at the wrist at one's desk, for example (where the date is actually oriented so as to be easily readable). It's the same premise that's behind the styling of the Vacheron Historiques American 1921.

Great analysis. What I like about many Breitlings is that they are designed as instruments for actual use, before taking aesthetics into consideration. You will not understand many design elements until you use one for its intent. To me the beauty of a Breitling should be appreciated from this aspect, and not the usual way of judging the aesthetics from a jewellery perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:03 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Moana43 wrote:

I appreciate your view Jim, but you see, personally when I look at a watch on my wrist I move my hand and look at it head-on....so an up-right font makes perfect sense to me, AND it's both more polished and aesthetically pleasing to my eye. The slanted date window always LOOKS like it was a parts-bin-special to me, like it's being done "on the cheap" by using a wheel designed for use with a 3 o'clock window.

GO always do it just right IMO with their date windows, and loads of their models use the 4:30 date (a Big date in fact) and they're always orientated properly. It just looks more polished and professional to me.

Anyway, I'd love to see Breitling give it a go again like they did in the 70's, even if it's just on a couple of watches.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Driver8 wrote:
I appreciate your view Jim, but you see, personally when I look at a watch on my wrist I move my hand and look at it head-on....so an up-right font makes perfect sense to me, AND it's both more polished and aesthetically pleasing to my eye. The slanted date window always LOOKS like it was a parts-bin-special to me, like it's being done "on the cheap" by using a wheel designed for use with a 3 o'clock window.

GO always do it just right IMO with their date windows, and loads of their models use the 4:30 date (a Big date in fact) and they're always orientated properly. It just looks more polished and professional to me.

Anyway, I'd love to see Breitling give it a go again like they did in the 70's, even if it's just on a couple of watches.

In the interest of not being banned, I am constrained to acknowledge that reasonable minds may differ on this point... :lol:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Moana43 wrote:
In the interest of not being banned, I am constrained to acknowledge that reasonable minds may differ on this point... :lol:

And in the interest of not having to ban someone who’s opinions I respect on here, I’m also constrained by the same acknowledgement! :lol:

(Good to have a bit of discussion on here for a change! I can’t recall the last time a thread went to 4 pages!)

Site Moderator

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
guys, it‘s a pleasure to read your comments.
spoke to Georges re the date orientation, he agrees to give it a try and see how that looks on a proto, may take some time, lots of models in the development pipeline, will keep you updated.

some more irl shots from LA.

new Navitimer Rattrapante in solid gold

and some Avenger

and one more of the Mosquito

5 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:54 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

You beat me to uploading the pictures Fred. I saw your original post on my phone and just logged in now to post them up for you. :thumbsup:

I really like those Avenger strap options, especially the sand coloured one.

Site Moderator

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:19 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Moana43 wrote:

For a 4:30 date window, I find the perfectly perpendicular date orientation to be somewhat jarring actually...

I'm going to agree with Jim on this one. I can live perfectly fine with the 4:30 date window where it's at. Maybe I'm used to it now owning 2 Breathings with the B01 movement with that date placement. I also don't look straight onto my watch as often so the oriented date looks great in photos, I'm not sure in real life how it would be on a daily basis. I think you either leave it at 4:30 or drop the date altogether.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:48 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I couldn't resist, Driver -- saw this new Seiko release and thought of you... :D

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Cheers Jim! :lol:

(But it looks so much better than a slanted date to me)

Site Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next