The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hello. I have never owned a Breitling, but I have always liked the Navitimer, usually the white dial versions.

I wasn't really considering one right now, and actually had gone to my jeweler to talk about putting my Tudor Pelagos (blue) on consignment.

I realize I will get different opinions here vs the rolex forum, but just thought I would seek as much feedback as possible.

I got such a decent deal on it (the Tudor), I wouldn't lose much; and don't want to deal with shipping or auctions right now. The owner says he might just buy it for his personal collection to wear as a work beater.
Which would let him Keep the Rolex's he has for weekends.

I would do the same, but every time I want to wear a blue watch anymore; I go for my Bluesy.
ANYWAY.....

Then he hits me with a deal I am intrigued by. Take the Tudor in trade on a Breitling Navitimer. Its on a black leather strap with white stitching with deployant, but I'm not sure what model or size it is at the moment. I think its this one....

Navitimer B01 46 But I'm not 100% sure.
Maybe this one? https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches ... 27211B1X2/

What I do know is that he said it was basically never worn, and was almost 9K USD when new. I cant remember if it has the GMT function or if its an older model or newer in house movement.

I will definitely find out the exact model. But the point is, he wants my Pelagos and 2500 cash for the Breitling. Basically I'd be out 5200 bucks total (price I paid for the pelagos and 2500 bucks.)

This seems like a great deal.... I've not seen any for under 5700 ish, so I know I'm doing ok. I already have a 1st gen black Planet Ocean Chrono XL 45.5 mm, so I don't have to do it. But a white dial (panda?) chrono would look great. I don't really own any white dial watches other than a cheap Seiko monster.

What say you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Welcome aboard.

I'm actually a big fan of both the Navi and the Peli, so I will be fairly impartial here! The only thing I dislike about the Pelagos is that it's Grade 2 titanium (which is prone to scratches) and the fact that my AD told me that during a recent trip to the UK RSC, they told him that they will not refinish Peli cases due to the titanium being too hard to work with as it clogs their refinishing tools. :shock:

I think a lot will depend on which Navitimer model it actually is that your AD is offering. If it is the 46mm Navi B01, then you'll be getting a pretty good deal with that trade IMO. (The again I live in the UK!) However, I thoroughly urge you to try that Navi on (if you haven't already done so) as it's big watch and after a Peli or a Blusey it will feel very large on the wrist. If you have a choice of models from your AD I'd suggest trying on the 43mm in-house Navi to test the size difference. A lot will also depend on what you plan to use it for as there's no getting away from the fact that the Navi is less practical than the Peli if you plan to use it for certain recreation activities.

That said, the Navi is an absolute icon and a beautiful piece to own, so if you are prepared for less WR and wear it accordingly, then the Navi is a fantastic watch.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:09 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you so much for the reply. As I mentioned I wear my Omega PO xl chrono (45mm) quite often.
I'm wearing it right now even.

At 46 I'm ok with the size. I did briefly try it on, but not long enough to make sure I didn't have any issues with a watch that big from Breitling vs Omega. and it could have been 43, I only held it for a few seconds. I will find all that out today when I go back to check what model it is exactly.

For anyone else reading, after having the Tudor for almost a year; I would not worry about the grade of Ti. And as for scratches, I have none that weren't able to be "cleaned up" with a little trick of an eraser, or my preferred method of using a wet green scotch brite pad. What I had found is that basically ALL the marks it ever got were just light scuffs in the oxidation layer of the Ti. Not actually groves in the metal. So by rubbing the metal with either stated methods it was just like polishing a car with a clearcoat finish. The swirls or scuffs just disappear.

Anyway, Ill follow up with the exact model. I do think I'm going to go for it.....

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
I can not compare the two watch because I have never owned a Tudor but I will make the following observations:

I would make sure that the watch has an active 5 year warranty from Breitling, if already activated it should not be more than a month or two old.

I would attempt to negotiate just a bit. A total outlay of $5200 is a little high for a pre-owned in-house Navitimer on a leather strap. If it was on a bracelet than I would feel more comfortable with the price because the bracelet is a definitive plus. I understand not wanted to deal with selling the Tudor privately but if the AD is going to keep it, then remind him how good of a customer you are, and then offer him less. Check out some of the recently completed "SOLD" auctions on eBay to see what watches have sold for that are similar in condition and size, you may be able to use this as a bargaining tool.

In the end do what you gut tells you to do and enjoy it if you do the deal!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:09 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Well, there is a little fly in the ointment. Its not quite the model I thought.
Might be a little older.

Its this reference, which I cant get to come up on the Breitling web page.
AB012012-BB01 MSRP was 8300?

Looks like most places want 6600 or so for a new one.

It pulls up on the usual gray market sellers pages, which I wont link here.

But the specifics are 43mm, still 70 power reserve? no display caseback.
same leather strap (which I prefer for a watch of this type).
I have lots of choices on a bracelet that have much better WR.

Still, I wish I could find more about this model from Breitling direct.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:40 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
rod_442 wrote:
Its this reference, which I cant get to come up on the Breitling web page.
AB012012-BB01 MSRP was 8300?

I believe that reference is the standard B01 Navitimer with the wings logo, before the latest version with just the B script logo. MSRP sounds about right, remember this same model with leather strap and TANG buckle was about $79XX retail when I was looking at them (deployant is a little more). My AD recently quoted me a price on this exact same piece, NEW one (leather strap, deployant) with full warranty to be activated at $68XX.

I would try to find actual production year of it (date code stamped between 6:00 lugs) and as mentioned earlier what the warranty situation is. Does it have all the paperwork with activated Breitling warranty? If so, how much warranty is left?

If fairly recent piece (2016-2018) with remaining warranty I think the price is reasonable.

What other information are you looking for on it?

Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I was just wanting to confirm it was the in house movement. But enough sellers list it as the B01 with 70 hour power reserve, so I'm confident its the right specs. Previously I thought only the display back versions had the in house. But I see that's on the 46mm.

So yes, when I go back in Saturday when the owner is there Ill check the warranty status and if it suffers from "jump start" on the chrono. Or is that just the older models?

Knowing the seller, it will definitely be full package, box, books and papers. I just have to check the warranty date.
If it has some warranty I think Ill go for it, but still ask a little off. If its out of warranty, I'd want 500 off what he's asking.
Then I can bide my time and find either a better deal, or maybe still look for a 46mm. Or at least go try one on.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm definitely excited if this will be my first Breitling.
Ive considered avenger II's and superoceans in the past, but with so many divers already (Tissot, Seiko, Ball, Omega, Rolex, etc.), I want to branch out into other styles.

A navitimer would be perfect.

Kodiak likes this post.