The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:38 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 16 posts
This watch does not seem to get a lot of attention, but to me, it seems like a lot of watch for the money; great depth rating, helium escape, ceramic bezel, beautiful bracelet, and great size (at least for my 7" wrist). The only aspect I do not love is the date and batons covering the 15,18, and 21.

I can obtain one of these for less than $3k pre owned. That seems like a steel for essentially Breitlings version of the Submariner.

Currently, the only other watch in my collection worth mentioning is a Breitling Blackbird blue dial with blue alligator strap. I want a watch with some black, and the Submariner is out of my range at the moment.

Is this watch a good choice?

The picture attached is the watch on my wrist at the AD.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:30 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
My only issue with this watch is the 24 hour markers on the dial. I don't think it's necessary and I think it clutters the dial. Price wise it's a very tough watch to beat. If you're open to preowned, you could also try to find am older Steelfish which probably represents one of the best deals out there.

If you go outside Breitling, there are always deals to be had on Planet Oceans.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
mitchellb2005 wrote:
This watch does not seem to get a lot of attention, but to me, it seems like a lot of watch for the money; great depth rating, helium escape, ceramic bezel, beautiful bracelet, and great size (at least for my 7" wrist). The only aspect I do not love is the date and batons covering the 15,18, and 21.

I can obtain one of these for less than $3k pre owned. That seems like a steel for essentially Breitlings version of the Submariner.

Currently, the only other watch in my collection worth mentioning is a Breitling Blackbird blue dial with blue alligator strap. I want a watch with some black, and the Submariner is out of my range at the moment.

Is this watch a good choice?

The picture attached is the watch on my wrist at the AD.
I owned a Rolex day/date for close to forty years. A great time piece; I beat it like a rented mule and it ran like a top. So accurate I never needed to adjust the time till a date change. Now, to answer your question, I can think of a couple of reasons why Breitling. First is the build quality, Breitling's bezel, case and bracelet are a notch above Rolex. Second is price, everyone can pay to much for something. People are standing in line to do this for stainless steel Rolex sport models. I know every Rolex fanatic will comment on the following without regard to my first statement. Rolex, Breitling and Omega are in the same tier. This is not my opinion, but the opinion of people who make a living off the watch world. An example would be top drawer collectors whom their only source of income is from watches, such as the publisher of Watch Time magazine. No one is arguing the status/branding/marketing of Rolex, which is number one. The B01 movement was the movement that brought the five year warranty to the market place. The B01 movement is paramount to the 4130. Every movement of a Breitling is COSC certified, including their superquartz. A certification is included; nice touch. Great watch for a great price! Also, congratulations for your pre-owned purchase! That is smart money. Let someone else pay the vigorous. I own a day/date, Breitling chronomat 44 GMT 2-tone, and a VC. All pre-owned or grey market. No one knows but the smart money.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:25 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 174 posts
^^^
I love Breitling watches, I have two, a Chronospace auto, & a SO44. But I have to be honest, that in my humble opinion, Breitling does not 'exceed' Rolex build quality in case, bezel or bracelet. Compare a SuperOcean 44 say, with a Tudor BB and I think you may change your opinion under a X10 loupe.
Here's my SO44 rubber bezel, super watch great depth rating....
...but not quite the same standard of engineering finish of a modern 'sub'.
No great shakes though, in real world terms, apart from residuals, the SO is just as capable, with a modified ETA movement, as the Rolex with in-house, at less than half the money.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
Nealywheelie wrote:
^^^
I love Breitling watches, I have two, a Chronospace auto, & a SO44. But I have to be honest, that in my humble opinion, Breitling does not 'exceed' Rolex build quality in case, bezel or bracelet. Compare a SuperOcean 44 say, with a Tudor BB and I think you may change your opinion under a X10 loupe.
Here's my SO44 rubber bezel, super watch great depth rating....
...but not quite the same standard of engineering finish of a modern 'sub'.
No great shakes though, in real world terms, apart from residuals, the SO is just as capable, with a modified ETA movement, as the Rolex with in-house, at less than half the money.
Really? Why not compare a chronomat B01 to a sub. Now that is a apple's to apple's comparison. The case is better, and engraved. The bezel is secured with screws holding the Breitling bezel in place. Compared to Rolex pop off with a butter knife bezel, which, is what watchmakers do to remove a Rolex bezel. The Rolex design is old, the case back looks like my 40 year old Rolex; much like a kettle bottom with notches. This is great marketing on Rolex's part. One is able to purchase an old Rolex with very little difference to the human eye compared to a new Rolex. Breitling's pilots bracelet is superb to Rolex in feel and fit. That huge Rolex clasp costing less than links is an updated old vision. Hold a Breitling Chronomat by the case you will find the bracelet hangs directly down as the first link is independent of the watch lugs. Breitling chronomat is 500 meters water resistant. Truly a dive watch with a chronograph complication.
Dah, read it and weep. Hard to swallow as it may be. The B01 is a top drawer movement, better than a 4130. This movement brought a lot to the market place. Rolex than added/changed/updated their movements after the Breitling B01 rollout. Rolex added the five year warranty, Rolex updated their power reserves etc., etc. Rolex does not have to be first in anything. Rolex is number one in watch branding within the watch world. Those of us whom have owned and made millions through electronic communications ownership know branding does not equate better. Branding equates top of the mind awareness, Rolex does this superbly, Rolex is the best in branding. The Breitling chronomat is better than a Rolex sub with a chronograph complication. That added complication alone is a notch above the highly coveted Rolex sub at thousands less.
That said, if you want to send me your Rolex sub, I willingly accept. I will put it into the collection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DimGR likes this post.