The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
all you lume guys keep surprsing me....
how often do you check the time in the dark?

have a major discussion going on a German forum re lume intensity & longevity, so we have a "Lume Project team" at Breitling now, that will evaluate all future models re these points.
seriously.

was one of the only issues I've never looked at before - vintage watches HAVE to have dead luem, so what do I know about that....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:19 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
WatchFred wrote:
all you lume guys keep surprsing me....
how often do you check the time in the dark?

have a major discussion going on a German forum re lume intensity & longevity, so we have a "Lume Project team" at Breitling now, that will evaluate all future models re these points.
seriously.

was one of the only issues I've never looked at before - vintage watches HAVE to have dead luem, so what do I know about that....

You may be just kidding, Fred -- but, since you asked... :wink:

I keep my watch on my bedside table, and, since I'm a light sleeper, I will sometimes check the time to see if I can possibly eke out another hour or two in bed before getting up for the day. :D

So, while I'm not an official "lume guy", I really do have a practical need to check the time at night for this purpose on occasion. My B01 Navis, along with my TOCs, have blazing lume that makes it easy to read the time all night long. Using that as a baseline, it's easy for me to tell the difference with the TWA Navi.

Incidentally, I think my all-time Breitling lume winner is my SOH Chronograph 44 -- lots of real estate on the hands for lume, so it's a real light show in the dark!

Interesting about the Breitling "Lume Project Team"... (BTW, shouldn't that be a "Squad"? :lol:)

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

we'll rename it the "Lume Squad" ;)

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:49 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:

I feel better already! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Moana43 wrote:
WatchFred wrote:

I feel better already! :lol:

:lol:

Lume's a funny thing for me. It's just about the last thing on my list of considerations when buying a new watch....BUT there's also no denying it's pretty cool when you get one with outrageously bright lume that catches you unawares at night. (And likewise it's also a little disappointing when you get one that's pretty weak).

Breitling's lume has always been very "middle of road" as far as I'm concerned - not great, not terrible (a little quote for you there! :wink: ) - especially when you compare it to something like Seiko's Lumibrite which never ceases to amaze me. Maybe the Lume Squad is just what's needed!

:lingsrock:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Lume's a funny thing for me. It's just about the last thing on my list of considerations when buying a new watch....BUT there's also no denying it's pretty cool when you get one with outrageously bright lume that catches you unawares at night. (And likewise it's also a little disappointing when you get one that's pretty weak).

I'm exactly the same. In practical terms it's vanishingly irrelevant in a watch as far as I'm concerned, but when you wander into a darkened room and see the powerful glow it's hugely gratifying!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

an I now have to effing look at pics like that all the time, Rolex/Omega/Seiko/Breitling Lumewars....
o tempora ....

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:53 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

WatchFred wrote:
an I now have to effing look at pics like that all the time, Rolex/Omega/Seiko/Breitling Lumewars....
o tempora ....

:lol: I guess it's not all designing cool new/re-release watches for you now, eh Fred? :wink: :poke:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:17 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Driver8 wrote:
I guess it's not all designing cool new/re-release watches for you now, eh Fred? :wink: :poke:

Given his status as a Breitling “lume"-inary, I’m confident that Fred is up to the task. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:16 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
WatchFred wrote:
o tempora ....

I’ve never had an issue with the line on my Breitlings, but I do wish the lume on the Skyracer was stronger. I know it’s a little different going from lumed dots or markers to full lumed arabics, but I just wish they were a bit brighter. The pic Fred posted reminded me of the Skyracer. I’m just glad there’s a lume squad in place to handle these issues going forward. I’m going to sleep much better tonight.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:04 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Moana43 wrote:
Incidentally, one interesting detail is that, unlike the two other capsule versions (Swissair and PanAm), the TWA version has applied hour markers (as well as the applied "B") that are gold in color, which adds a further sense of warmth to the dial. The combo is really lovely.

Alright -- please forgive me for quoting myself. Initially, I loved the gold indices and "B" on the dial for the aesthetics alone. But, just today, I finally put 2 and 2 together, and realized that the use of gold allows the dial to fully reflect the red/gold colors of the TWA logo.

OK, a bit slow on the uptake there -- but, it makes me love this piece even more!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Hahaha lume squad :) I personally appreciate a strong lume, but it generally won't be the ultimate deciding factor in whether or not I purchase a watch. It's more like an added bonus if it has it. My Breitlings have been kind of middle of the pack when it comes to lume. Nothing outstanding but not horrible either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Moana43 wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
I guess it's not all designing cool new/re-release watches for you now, eh Fred? :wink: :poke:

Given his status as a Breitling “lume"-inary, I’m confident that Fred is up to the task. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/6zXDo4dL7SU

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:25 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Driver8 wrote:
Moana43 wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

https://youtu.be/6zXDo4dL7SU

Thanks, folks — I’ll be here all week! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:54 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
I stumbled on these posts concerning Lume; after a long absence from the Forum I was updating my profile watches......Lume is important to me. As a light sleeper, I often look at watch in the night. In fact I precharge all my watch lume with a Surefire light for a minute or so before retiring. I like it to be bright and last a long time...the longer the better.

As some others said, I probably do not choose for the lume, as it is not really pointed out in reviews in a reliable and comparable manner, but I sure choose the watch to wear by its lume at times.

In my occupation running farm equipment at night, it is easier and faster to glance at a lumed watch then mess with turning on a light on a digital, or turning on the cab lights to read a dark digital.

Onward with any Lume Project!

DFM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next