The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat

It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1441 posts
Driver -- I gotta start by praising your mad Photoshop skills! Just fantastic! Plus, some great ideas.

Well, I may be the odd man out here, but, in terms of case proportions and styling, I am A-OK with the Chronomat as is. Although the case is 44mm, it actually wears smaller than this, in my experience. And, the proportions of the lugs, etc., balance everything out nicely.

As a fellow Airborne owner, I'm with Justin in terms of thinking that the Airborne is pretty close to perfect. My only minor complaint with that model is that the silver hands against the silver dial can be hard to read in low light. Otherwise, though, I love it -- particularly the brushed bezel and dark inlays.

That being said, one of the things I like about the Chronomat is that it adapts nicely to a variety of looks, so I'd be loathe to pin things down to just one configuration. The timing bezel on the Airborne provides one great look -- but the Buck font bezel is another great look that gives the Chronomat a dressier and more unique vibe. (And, yes, I do realize that I need to run for the hills after making that last observation!). In all cases, however, I would want the bezel to be brushed, rather than polished. In fact, brushed all around would be just fine with me -- bezel, case and pilot bracelet.

Lastly, I truly do miss the wide variety of dial offerings and combos that were previously possible. That variety seemed to be part and parcel of the vibe of the Chronomat. It certainly had some fun variations (like the Roman numerals on MOP dial). So, for me, winding up with one standardized version isn't necessarily a desirable thing.

Looking forward to where things wind up!

Chronomat01LE likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 333 posts
arcadelt wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
So what would be your dream Chonomat?

One exactly like the one on the right in this picture, but in steel and a 38 to 41mm width, and certainly not as thick or slab-sided as the Montbrillant on the left. I think the foundations are already there in the new Premier line.

PS: I know this is not the "Chronomat" type you were talking about . I just don’t like any of the Breitlings with riders on the bezel.

Not a Breitling but I do like how Hamilton has recreated the vintage 1968 Chrono-matic with a larger modern version true to the original in design.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:12 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 520 posts
This Blackbird of mine has lots of ideal Chronomat vibe for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 51 posts
Moana43 wrote:
Driver -- I gotta start by praising your mad Photoshop skills! Just fantastic! Plus, some great ideas.

Well, I may be the odd man out here, but, in terms of case proportions and styling, I am A-OK with the Chronomat as is. Although the case is 44mm, it actually wears smaller than this, in my experience. And, the proportions of the lugs, etc., balance everything out nicely.

As a fellow Airborne owner, I'm with Justin in terms of thinking that the Airborne is pretty close to perfect. My only minor complaint with that model is that the silver hands against the silver dial can be hard to read in low light. Otherwise, though, I love it -- particularly the brushed bezel and dark inlays.

That being said, one of the things I like about the Chronomat is that it adapts nicely to a variety of looks, so I'd be loathe to pin things down to just one configuration. The timing bezel on the Airborne provides one great look -- but the Buck font bezel is another great look that gives the Chronomat a dressier and more unique vibe. (And, yes, I do realize that I need to run for the hills after making that last observation!). In all cases, however, I would want the bezel to be brushed, rather than polished. In fact, brushed all around would be just fine with me -- bezel, case and pilot bracelet.

Lastly, I truly do miss the wide variety of dial offerings and combos that were previously possible. That variety seemed to be part and parcel of the vibe of the Chronomat. It certainly had some fun variations (like the Roman numerals on MOP dial). So, for me, winding up with one standardized version isn't necessarily a desirable thing.

Looking forward to where things wind up!

Agree with most of the things stated here. IMO Chronomat is the 2nd icon of Breitling and even though Navitimer has always been the undisputed main icon of Breitling, Chronomat is actually the best model to portray the brand's spirit IMHO. The only model I ever know that covers all air, land, and sea. This model line left 2 of the most important imprints in brand's history - Revived the brand from bankruptcy and the first head to toe in house Breitling. However it's is also one of the models that underwent the most changes ever since its launch. I can understand why they did so when they launched the Chronomat 01.

However I feel that it is time to "stabilize" this model and refrain from excessive changes to its aesthetics. Offering both the buck rogers with wing logo and traditional bezel with "B" logo, at the same time, restricting both variations for a stronger identity is a good move IMHO. My 01 LE is already my dream Chronomat so if I have to propose a design for an upcoming Chronomat, I would personally propose enhancement its technical features and some details, instead of doing changes to its aesthetics:

-having Sec markers on the Sec sub dial, instead of just having 10 sec indicators.
-numerals should not "eat" into the markers of the sub dials as it affects legibility.
-improving the clasp of the bracelet and creating a glide lock feature for easier adjustment.
-creating a mechanism to allow any user to interchange bracelets/straps easily without risk of scratch. Something like Panerai.