Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Servicing a Headwind
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
I just ordered a Headwind - blue dial, fully brushed case and bracelet, faceted Pilot. It'll be a few days before it gets here. I don't know the service history, but I'm anticipating the possibility of needing to get it serviced. Given its age (originally purchased in 2001 - model disco'd in 2005), is this something best left to BUSA, or an independent? I've not dealt with servicing an older Breitling before, so this is new territory for me.

Two areas of concern: (1) Preserving the hands. I don't mind if they're replaced, as long as the replacements are of the original design. Newer-style hands will ruin the look of the watch, imo. (2) Making sure the brushed finish is original to the watch, and not a custom job BUSA will want to alter. As far as I know, the Headwind came in both brushed and polished versions, so I'm assuming this is a stock finish, but I don't know that. Is there a way to find that out?

Also, if I send it to BUSA, is it advisable to ship it myself, or go through an AD?

Last edited by JacksonStone on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Servicing a Headwind
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:18 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
I recently purchased a used 2005 Superocean Steelfish (42mm). It wasn't running all that great so I elected to send it in myself directly to BUSA. They have an easy process on their site now in which you fill out info. to let them know you're sending in a watch and what service you want, where to ship, print out ship label, etc.

I packed it in bubble wrap (watch only along with warranty booklet) and sent it USPS 2-3 day priority. If I remember they let me know they received it and set up a status link to monitor progress. I was expecting about a 6-8 week turn-around process and to my surprise it was shipping back in 3 weeks.

The 2005 Steelfish had brushed top lugs, polished case sides, and brushed top beezel. The bracelet was a combination brushed/polished links. It came back absolutely fabulous, looking like new (with warranty booklet updated with service info.). The hands were replaced with original design and it ran great, about 1 sec fast per day. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised in the whole process, both timing and quality of the service.

Would recommend using BUSA for your Headwind!
Terry

(p.s. - good to hear from you again Jackson... it's been a while)

JacksonStone likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: Servicing a Headwind
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:53 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
Kodiak wrote:
(p.s. - good to hear from you again Jackson... it's been a while)

Much appreciated, Terry.