The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: New Premier Models
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:54 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
What does everyone think of the new Premier line?

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches/premier/

I like the look the B01 chrono in 42mm in both the white and blue dials.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

Post subject: Re: New Premier Models
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Safe classic looking. Not that they aren't nice but if I wanna buy something like that I would likely go for other brands.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
To quote exactly what I posted on WUS yesterday -

"They're all quite.....inoffensive. The twin register B01's are the clear standouts for me, but there's still something just a bit, well, dull about them. Kind of hard to put my finger on it, but they just don't excite me in some way"

I certainly don't dislike them at all (especially the B01 variants), but they don't scream "buy me!" either.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:55 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
have you tried them on Driver?

in the metal they are bloomin lovely, the panda screamed buy me buy me to me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

alex** wrote:

Are they in the shops already?? There are still a couple of Baselworld pieces I've not seen in any AD yet, so I assumed it'd be ages before these hit the high street.

So no, I must confess I've not seen them in person yet. I always say there's no substitute for trying a watch on so I will definitely reserve final judgement until then. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Driver8, I give up to discuss new Breitlings with you.

the new Premier is a sublime piece of watchmaking, spectacular case, a modern interpretation of a vintage icon, a superb inhouse caliber, luxuriously elegant.

you find them dull, without ever having held one in your hands.

I‘ve spent the last days to explain the heritage of the Premier line to media and AD during the London Breitling summit and the Breitling Nordic launch event - and let me tell you that not one single person found them dull.

this site has now become breitlingbashing.com - and I’m sure we’ll soon read comments the Premier should have the wings logo...

had planned to post some irl introduction prics, especially of the superb Bentley Edition, but it makes little sense, I fear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:12 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I'm sorry if my immediate and initial gut reaction doesn't instantly gel with yours Fred. :roll:

Your description, "sublime piece of watchmaking, spectacular case, a modern interpretation of a vintage icon, a superb inhouse caliber, luxuriously elegant" is YOUR opinion, and as such I respect that. Gushing descriptives aside, I actually broadly agree with your sentiment - it does have a great movement, and it no doubt benefits from the usual fine Breitling build quality - however I ALSO find the end result to be no more than visually inoffensive and yes, a little dull.

So MY initial reaction (admittedly based on nothing more than some pictures online) is different to yours. Such is life.

Sure, I've not handled them yet, but I think as grown adults we're allowed to form an initial opinion based on the information we have to hand at a point in time.

I'm sure you've noticed that my involvement in this site has reduced considerably over the last year or so, to the point where most of my time on here is actually spent behind the scenes just deleting spam posts and banning the spammers, as opposed to active posting. There's a very good reason for that : Breitling just isn't my brand anymore. I've been a moderator here for 10 years, and it's probably time for a change. If you fancy stepping up, just drop Admin a line.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
Driver8 wrote:
alex** wrote:

Are they in the shops already?? There are still a couple of Baselworld pieces I've not seen in any AD yet, so I assumed it'd be ages before these hit the high street.

So no, I must confess I've not seen them in person yet. I always say there's no substitute for trying a watch on so I will definitely reserve final judgement until then. :thumbsup:

London has some i think, but no i got hands on at a separate event. they are really something superb.

you will have noticed i hadn't posted for quite a while as save the transocean line breitling haven't released anything that i can identify with for a long while, up until this year.

i cant wait to see what comes next

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

first batch of watches has just been delivered to subsidiaries and are going out to AD; one member of the Breitling Owner 1884 group managed to convince BUK to get his hand on the first piece delivered to a customer - he's received it this Monday in London.

light in London and Stockholm wasn't too good, so here some wristshots from the last pre-production batch taken in Marrakech, watches are unchanged:

the B01:

the Premier Bentley Edition:

both the blue and the green dial change color in different lighting conditions, will provide some variations over time, here a pic in artificial light from yesterday.

case size is 42mm, by many considered the sweet spot in the current market; although of course, some would want them at 44 or 46, others at 40 or smaller - suggest to try them on; a lot of work has gone into making the watch sit very, very comfortably on the wrist; case design is inspired by the later Premier and the early Toptime ref. 810 from 1964; the stepped bezel, chamfered lugs, the milled ridges in the case body and the brushing make the watch "wear" thinner than the 13.65mm it has, including the subtly domed sapphire crystal.

I like the rectangular pushers a lot; the watch is impeccably elegant, while still achieving 100m waterproof rating.

here the "B13" Valjoux Chrono in the background and a true surprise, the Premier Chronometer w/ subseconds:

another pic of the Bentley Edition, again different light and color, showing a bit of the details:

and the upcoming Premier B01 Bentley Edition advertising:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
I'm a big fan of the new Premier line. I think Breitling has done a fantastic job this time around, and, in the photos posted by Fred, the pieces really look stunning. I have long been an advocate for a return to some of the more classic designs from Breitling's past, and, in particular, have always wished for some bi-compax models to appear in the TOC line-up. I think this seems to be a very positive sign.

The 40mm Automatics with small-seconds are a pleasant surprise. Nice size for a more classic looking watch, and the small-seconds is integrated nicely. Very clean and striking look.

I'm particularly partial to the B01 Chronographs. Love the 42mm size, and it's nice to see a bi-compax version of the B01 movement making a re-appearance (something that first occurred with the limited edition TOC a few years back). The rectangular chronograph pushers are a welcome change of pace from the usual pump pushers, and they suit these pieces well, offering a nice, streamlined effect. The red accents provide just the right amount of pop -- they are present, but subtle. I really do like the treatment of the quarter hour indicators -- the three lines provide a nice art deco/retro feel -- a feel that is echoed by the three grooves on the side of the case. As far as that goes, I think the grooves on the case look absolutely killer. It also appears that Breitling has up-sized the "B" logo for these pieces, which is a welcome change. Some of the newer models issued in the past year appear to have used a smaller "B", which, while perhaps historically accurate, nevertheless seemed out of proportion in the context of larger case sizes (and better suited to the smaller cases of yesteryear). The larger "B" provides a more balanced look, I think. In the end, all of these elements are integrated in a way that ties the entire piece together. Really well done.

I must admit, I LOVE the new Bentley version of the Premier, which is utterly striking. I will say that I'm not sure I'd want to be wearing a green strap, so would probably opt for the brown nubuck (nice to see that offering, by the way) that is being offered on the blue dial version. The only nit I have to pick with the Bentley model is that the "Bentley" plate on the side of the case replaces the grooves, which is unfortunate. Lose the plate, add back the grooves, and this one's perfect.

On a related note, I'm glad to see the new approach to the Bentley partnership -- namely, the inclusion of particular "Bentley" models within existing lines. "Breitling for Bentley" is gone, and, in my book, that's a good thing for the brand.

It would be nice to fast-forward and see all of the new pieces that will be coming down the pike (I'm still waiting for the re-emergence of the B04 movement, which I hope will be happening in the not-too-distant future), but, I suppose we'll just have to have some patience as things unfold in the months ahead. :wink:

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:50 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Thank you Watchfred for this review :lingsrock:

I don't think that this site is going against Breitling, it was just a reaction to the first Kern moves.

I have a feeling that now Breilting is stabilizing its direction and that more old Breitling followers will reconsider their position.

I agree, 42mm is sweet spot and hope to see more models in this size. Will wait and try new Premiere in flesh.

New Chronomat Japan Special Edition is also very nice.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

the very first steps were needed to jump start the brand in China, quickly - and they worked.

if you have six months for a new product line, a new CI, new advertising, an almost totally new team, a new boutique concept and much more, not everything is perfect, but all done with deep, true passion for the brand - by all involved, nobody there to make a quick buck, all looking at mid term strategies to revive the brand to it‘s full potential.

much more to come, as said - not all will be perfect, not everything can and will appeal to everyone, but will be done with 100% commitment to the brand’s heritage (all it’s heritage, including the “Schneider Years” and the icons created during this period, the recent B4B not included ;) )

wings, large watches will remain part of the core product line - but also impeccably elegant watches like the new Premier line.

yes Jim, the applied B has grown a bit to better fit the “modern classics”.

@Driver8 - maybe have a look at the Premier B01 at your AD, they should soon have them; would be surprised if you’ll still find them dull, the attention to detail should be impressive, even if elegant chronographs aren’t your thing.

Had dinner with Breitling Scandinavia resellers yesterday evening, including several who also carry Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin - their only “criticism” (tongue in cheek) was that the new Premier now plays in a similar league and might provide too much competition in store. Will take years until that becomes reality, of course - but I’m sure that was being said for the first time in decades.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

and Jim, read somewhere you thought the “inhouse means contrasting subdials” strategy is too restrictive. yes, it sometimes is - and there will be some Limited Editions that will have to break that rule, but a brand must be “readable” at first glance when you look at watches in a shop display, there must be an apparent reason why two very similar watches are sold at different price levels. the “contrasting colors mean manufacture calibers” should be relatively easy to communicate.

2 people like this post.
 Post subject: New Premier Models
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 37 posts
Personally, I think the Premier Automatic 40 is absolutely beautiful.

Last edited by NavalFlight on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:32 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

WatchFred wrote:
@Driver8 - maybe have a look at the Premier B01 at your AD, they should soon have them; would be surprised if you’ll still find them dull.

Oh yes I totally agree about needing to see them in the flesh before rendering a final judgement : I said as much in my second post on this thread. I truly hope I'm pleasantly surprised. As I say, I certainly don't hate this new Premier, I don't even dislike them - I just feel they're lacking something visually for me. But we'll see.

@Hunterfate - any pics or links to the new Japan SE Chronomat? The only one I could find is this one....

http://www.breitling.co.jp/hob/products ... nomat_jsp/

....but it isn't flagged as "New". If it IS this one, then I think it's superb....except (and I'm risking being negative again here!) why did they have to give the black dial model a white date wheel and a white boarder round the window? A black date wheel and no window boarder and this would've been the perfect Chronomat for me. (Yes I know, I'm very particular!)

Site Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next