The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Please if you can help me to know the difference between breitling B-1 and breitling chronometer B-1..? from the battery models or the way the machine works, shape, size, activity, etc.

Thanks a millions, and hope am not asking a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Hello scorpio,

The quartz movements of the chronometers are "thermocompensated", which means, there is a quite complicated device, which considerably improves the accuracy of the movement. Pleas don't ask me to explain the function of the thermocompensation, I cannot even do that in german (my native language), as I am not a technican for microelectronics.

Besides that, and the "Chronometer" on the dial, the watches are more or less the same.

Best greatings
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

thanks alot mate, i almost do understand.

best regards,

Mahmoud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
In extremely simplified terms the thermocompensation works by electronically adjusting the watch in accordance with temperature. The quartz crystla vibrates at a slightly different frequency at different temperatures.

What the electronic wizardry does is to record the temperature, translate that into the frequency that the quartz is vibrating at and move the watch hands based on that adjusted frequency. A non thermocompensated watch will always move the watch hands after the same number of vibrations.

Hope that makes sense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:18 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

i see , my main point guys that i wanted to byuy a Breitling chronometre B-1 but i discovered that its not Chronomtre B-1, its just Breitling B-1.

now am so confused should i go for this watch or no, please if you can confirm.

thanks a millions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

The B-1 is obviously not a new watch - I'd need others to provide dates of when a non Chronometer B-1 was produced, but all Breitlings have been chronometer certified for some time. So what you need to determine is:

1) Is the watch in good condition, or can it be restored to good condition at reasonable cost and

2) How important is accuracy - a B-1 chronometer will be accurate to +/- 10 seconds a year, a non chronometer will be less accurate with the exact accuracy depending on a lot of factors. Even so it will probably still be more accurate than a mechanical chronometer (-4 to +6 seconds a day)

If you can live with a restored / used / NOS watch that is as accurate as a good mechanical then go for it, otherwise hold out for a newer B-! chronometer. Bear in mind though that the model is now discontinued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:52 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

thanks guys for the help, ok if i would say, my friend want to sell the watch for 1640 U$ Dollers.

its 2005 model breitling B-1 (not chronomtre) with steel braclet and also additional original brown leather strap.

would you all think that the price is reasonable for such a watch.

best regards,
Mahmoud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:12 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

scorpio wrote:
its 2005 model breitling B-1 (not chronomtre) with steel braclet and also additional original brown leather strap.

OK, that set off alarm bells! I checked the models part of this site (Admin has done an amazing job here) which confirmed my concerns.

The 2005 watch should be a chronometer if it is genuine. The non chronometer B-! was only made in 2000 and 2001, every year after that it was chronometer certified.

If the watch he is offering you does not have 'Chronometre' on the dial it isn't a 2005 - it's either a 2000, a 2001 or a 'non-Breitling'

Price seems reasonable to me for a good condition non Chronometer version, though others are more qualified to comment, but I would definitely want to find out more - papers would be a good starting point and if you can post photos that would really help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

No need to worry, the B-1 was the last Breitling model, where the change to the chronometer was actually implemented. I remember, that we got our first B-1 chronometer at least 18 month after the official "All watches are chronometer" statement. When You think about having the watch in a smaller shop with slower turnover, there is no real need to worry.

The only thing is, that the pricing for the new non-chronometers was about 20 % less than the chronometer version.

As I don't know american prices for used watches, I cannot say, if the $ 1640,- is a good price.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sorry, to stupid to use a mouse...

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

So Thomas, you are suggesting that a non chronometer B-1 could legitimately have been sold as a 'new' watch as late as 2005? That implies that it was with a dealer for 4 years or more doesn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

thanks all again for being there, so you all trying to say that there is not that important or big difference between the 2 models, and as my bro Roffensian that the model should be 2000-2001 for a B-1 and this is what i know also, but the receipt from the dealer in Emirates Mall says 2005 purchesed time, mabey its 2001 model but was purchesed in 2005.

Please advice me the price is good as i will get it almost 1640 U$ Dollers. and here some photos.

Please advice.

best regards,
Mahmoud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:57 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

For my opinion, a watch is new, as long as it has not been worn. It can still be an outdated model.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Mahmoud,

I suspect that it is a 2000 / 2001 model that was sold in 2005 - certainly looks real. As such factor in that it may need a new battery soon if it hasn't already had one.

That said, I think that the price is fair, especially with both strap and fighter bracelet. I don't think you are getting a steal, but nor do I think you are getting ripped off. That said, let a few others weigh in as many are more familiar with the value of this model than I am.