Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:42 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
hello all,

General question of what other options people have sought out for repairing their watches aside from the breitling service.

My superocean i received 5y ago as a wedding gift and used very lightly (only wearing it to work) over this time but has now run into an issue of not being functional any longer. I tried manual winding and it still remains non-functional. I sent it in to be repaired under the impression that this repair should be covered by the warranty as it is afterall a 3000$ watch that has now stopped functioning after 5y of pretty light use but received an estimate of 600$ to do the repairs. Have to be honest i find this a bit ridiculous when one owns a "high-end" quality watch that cant last 5y without malfunctioning completely. A bit laughable that this watch fails after this time but a 70y old watch i have that survived WWII still functions with great timekeeping. Quite dissatisfied with breitling that this would not be something a company of this stature wouldnt bend over backwards to repair their faulty "Professional instrument". i would think that a watch that costs this much would actually continue to function for quite awhile. I understand the need for servicing to maintain the watch keeping accurate time every so often but im speaking of an actual mech failure. not sure this watch should be trusted diving let alone their "emergency" watch. if it wasnt a wedding gift id be inclined to just toss it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:26 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
I don't service watches, but fix them when they need attention - accuracy or failure. Had you done the recommended services at two and five years, you probably would have spent more than the $600 they are asking for now. I know it doesn’t help your current situation, but you can take solace in the fact that even if you spend the $600 you will still be ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:41 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
All mechanical watches require periodic service which is not covered by warranty. That is just a given, which if you did your research you would have found out. With that being said, you usually pay more for service at Breitling than with an independent watchmaker. If you find one you trust, you can save some money.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
“ridiculous service” ?
what’s ridiculous here? charging for repair and service four years after warranty has ended?

:idontgetit:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
Hi,

I'd be interested what car you drive? If it's over 3 years old, unless it's a KIA, that would probably be out of warranty. So, even if you had the recommended services undertaken, the car would still be out of warranty, regardless of how many miles you had driven. So if it broke down, would you be insisting the manufacturer fix it as no cost too yourself??

You say the SuperOcean was only worn at work? So, every day apart from weekends perhaps? And it's 5 years old...... Hardly light wear. Even if you are a desk jockey.

Yes Breitling service can be a bit expensive. But so are many other companies.

Also, as a massive Brietling fan, I've owned 18 and still have 8 at the moment. You saying Breitling is a "High End." Watch is a bit of a stretch to be frank. Nice, lovely, distinctive. Yes.

High end...... Not really.

I think you need to get a grip on reality.

Thanks for posting.

D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:01 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
What did they say was the issue? And yes it could just be over due for its routine maintenance. I don't see the big deal here?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
let me add that at $600 there most probably is nothing “broken”, as these are just the (quite reasonable in comparison to other brands) charges for a complete service - that Breitling recommends to do every 4-6 years btw.

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/service ... breitling/

truly scratching my head ....