The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:50 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
WatchFred wrote:
we'll agree to disagree then ;)

Learn this power phrase: “That May be it, but I see it differently”.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Super 8 & Navi 8: Quite Nice from the photos but a little disappointed by the straps.

Chronomat: not sure if it's the lightings issue, but a bit disappointed by the looks, especially the blackeye blue. Don't know why but something seems not right. IMHO the airborne looks nicer.

Colt: Erm.... It appears from the 2nd photo that the whole watch is brushed but the crown is polished, I believe it's due to lightings issue, else it will look as if the crown is aftermarket.

Superocean Heritage: Very impressed by the panda and gold/black versions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Thank you Fred for the real life pictures. Based on your pictures, here are some of my thoughts. The Super 8 doesn't really look that big and I'm really liking the green dial version. Kind of surprised at how much I like the black steel Navi 8 models, from the simple 3 automatic to the day/date chrono version. I don't get the 23mm lug size though and not sure why they did that.

The clean dials of the Colt look nice to me. I think for an entry level watch, you can't ask for much more. The removal of the square on the Chronomat and the traditional bezel look really nice, but I'd love to see more dials available, especially something similar to the Airborne models. I know I'm biased on that one.

The real favorite of mine as I mentioned earlier is the Superocean Heritage Chrono in blue. I just think they made the ceramic bezel the perfect shade of blue and it all comes together very well. I'm most likely sold that this will be my next watch.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
Thank you Fred for the real life pictures. Based on your pictures, here are some of my thoughts. The Super 8 doesn't really look that big and I'm really liking the green dial version. Kind of surprised at how much I like the black steel Navi 8 models, from the simple 3 automatic to the day/date chrono version. I don't get the 23mm lug size though and not sure why they did that.

The clean dials of the Colt look nice to me. I think for an entry level watch, you can't ask for much more. The removal of the square on the Chronomat and the traditional bezel look really nice, but I'd love to see more dials available, especially something similar to the Airborne models. I know I'm biased on that one.

The real favorite of mine as I mentioned earlier is the Superocean Heritage Chrono in blue. I just think they made the ceramic bezel the perfect shade of blue and it all comes together very well. I'm most likely sold that this will be my next watch.

the Super8 was a huge (actually surprising) success in Basel, there were only three early prototypes available and a dozen or more presentations going on concurrently - and one poor guy was rushing around from room to room because everyone just needed to see that watch ;)

the Chronomat was "just" a quick upgrade to get rid of the hated Buck Rogers bezels and bring back some of the original designs, it is up for relaunch next year.

agree re the SOHC, though there will be some slight changes in the final production run, the subdials a tad too small, especially visible on the panda.

re the 23mm lugs on the 8s - design considerations, the lugs would have to be considerably wider or slimmer to take 22s or 24s; understand it can be tedious to add another strap width though.

met Daniel & the Govberg team btw., they seem highly motivated, to say the least ;)

here are some shots of the Navitimer 1 - in 38 (another runaway success it seems), 41 & 43mm, the 46s were unchanged, but will be adapted soon and remain in the core catalog.

like the "readability" of the range, as George calls it, contrasting subdials on display backs on all inhouse, solid caseback and unicolor dials on the "industry standard" movements.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:44 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
WatchFred wrote:

Thank you for nice pictures and info Watchred.

I can see a lot of interest and excitement about Navi1 38mm - I think that introducing smaller watches is a great idea (although I miss chrono on this one, but it's my own problem).

But, is this slide rule final version or some prototype ?

There is a lot of empty space between numbers and outer ring border and numbers are small. It looks unreadable and out of balance to me, just comparing it to the Chronomat on the right. Like it is not intended to be used.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:20 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Anyone know if Breitling intends to continue to offer the full range of straps to its loyal customers? I imagine that, going forward, the selection may be slimmed down, but I'm wondering whether I need to act fast if I need to get another camel croc strap... :wink:

Last edited by Moana43 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Hunterfate wrote:
But, is this slide rule final version or some prototype ?

There is a lot of empty space between numbers and outer ring border and numbers are small. It looks unreadable and out of balance to me, just comparing it to the Chronomat on the right. Like it is not intended to be used.

no, it is a prototype and will be adapted (I hope, the product manager promised to do that when I mentioned the same issue) ;)

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:54 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WatchFred wrote:

agree re the SOHC, though there will be some slight changes in the final production run, the subdials a tad too small, especially visible on the panda.

That's good to know as the subdial size was my one concern on some of the pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:38 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
After studying the new releases and letting it sink in for a while, thought I would comment briefly on the new lines. I will caution that as one who flew for a short time I tend to be critical on the issues of function and readability from a pilot instrument perspective.

1) Navitimer 1 with B01 - not much has changed here, like the 43mm size but really was hoping for a lumed arabic dial to go along with the slide rule bezel. The polished stick markers just don't give the contrast for readability. I would have settled for full lumed stick markers (Sinn 903). The 41mm with B13 also suffer lack of contrast of both markers and subdial hands.

2) Navitimer 8 - the lumed arabic dials are great on these, unfortunately no slide rule bezel. I'm not sure how I feel about the single marker bezel yet, makes for clean look but takes away some of the ease of use of a full timing bezel, actually like the internal red triangle on the Super 8 better. Would have liked to see the subdial hands to be painted or lumed for better readability (speedmaster does a good job at this). Unfortunately this is a problem on many of Breitling's chronographs across all lines. Too much dress/jewelry look. It looks like the blacksteel chrono with the tan lume may have the subdial hands partially colored.

The three hand 41mm Navi 8 models look nice, good overall size.

3) SOH pieces - just not my style I guess.

4) Chronomat chrono - dial looks better and back to a more traditional Breitling bezel, but still too large at 44mm for me. The new Colt in 41mm looks to be cleaner than the old with removal of the 24 hour military numbers and extra tick marks. Reminds me of the Halios Seaforth dial now. Gray and silver are not for me but assuming more colors (black,blue) may be on the way.

With that I'm not sure what my next pilot piece will be. Will need to check out the Navi 8 chrono at the AD, size would seem to work. May also have to find an older Navi A23322 with the lumed arabics or forgo the slide rule bezel altogether, which then opens up other brands.

edit: forgot to mention the 23mm and 21 mm lug width/strap sizes on Navi 8 - poor decision IMO.

AS far as the website goes, miss the 'made to measure' function and the 360 degree graphic. Still needs work, some specifications missing, expect this will improve.

Last edited by Kodiak on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:00 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
Love the Navitimer 1, especially the panda dial, but much prefer the applied wings logo than the B logo personally.

SOH chrono also nice.

The super 8 is a monstrosity in my eyes.

The rest leaves me indifferent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:16 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I was able to see the Navi 1 Chrono in 41mm tonight at Yamron in Naples. I didn’t try it on but it does look a little less cluttered without the wings logo. I was surprised to see the Basel releases already hitting the display cases. I asked about the new Superocean Heritages and was told sometime in May possibly.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
I was able to see the Navi 1 Chrono in 41mm tonight at Yamron in Naples. I didn’t try it on but it does look a little less cluttered without the wings logo. I was surprised to see the Basel releases already hitting the display cases. I asked about the new Superocean Heritages and was told sometime in May possibly.

I do not agree and do not welcome Breitling's self-limitation about the fact they do not want to produce chronographs in less than 43 mm case. Fortunately the Navi 1 (Valjoux) you've mentioned is the first rebuttal of their statement about the chronograph sizes. I'm very sad Breitling stopped the production of the Chronomat 41 and the Montbrillant B01 (40 mm). I hope this set of chronograph watch sizes will reappear in a short time. Montbrillant B01 still to have, Chronomat 41 already in the core of my small collection :D . A 42 mm day-date Superocean Heritage Chrono would also be nice, if possible with the B01 base movement...

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:

Stopped by the NYC Boutique last saturday and they had several of the new Navitimer releases available. Had the opportunity to try on all of the new watches in the navitimer line with the exception of the Unitimer and Day/Date. My wife was quite smitten with the new 41mm Navitmer 8. Although the watch was very nice, I personally was not impressed with the new leather straps. In addition, the new bracelet for the Navitimer 8 line was a big disappointment. I hope that they make the seven link navitimer bracelet available in the new line down the road!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:04 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:

Interesting, I visit that store quite often when we winter down in that area. They have some of the unique LE pieces laying around at times. Good to see the new releases starting to hit the stores.

Just wish they would stop all the polished baton markers on the Navi's with the slide rule and go back to lumed arabics as an option. I keep seeing all the pics of the old Navi 806's with arabics on Kern's IG site and everyone drooling over them but no new pieces that look like those, just using them as marketing hype I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Kodiak wrote:
Interesting, I visit that store quite often when we winter down in that area. They have some of the unique LE pieces laying around at times. Good to see the new releases starting to hit the stores.

Just wish they would stop all the polished baton markers on the Navi's with the slide rule and go back to lumed arabics as an option. I keep seeing all the pics of the old Navi 806's with arabics on Kern's IG site and everyone drooling over them but no new pieces that look like those, just using them as marketing hype I guess.

I should have tried on the Navi but honestly I was just there to see the SOHC collection they had on mesh bracelets which I loved. The guy I spoke with said some other new releases have trickled but I didn’t ask too many questions. He did say he’s had one order for the new SOHC with the B01 movement and I mentioned I’ve asked their store up north in Philly for one as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next