Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
Hello,
This is my first post. I’m not a watch guy, just a noob looking for some advice. I live in Australia, but I have my watch serviced in Hong Kong. For simplicity, I have quoted all prices in USD.

About ten years ago I bought used Aerospace model E56062 from an acquaintance for USD1200. I believe this is a 1996 model with a B56 movement. About every 2 years I have the battery replaced at the official Breitling service centre in Hong Kong for USD32. The watch keeps excellent time and all the functions work, but on every occasion I have had the battery replaced the service staff have told me I need a new movement. The service note they gave me today says “display broken, digital defect”. At worst some of the elements of the display are slightly faded. The quote for a new B75 movement, a new caseback and new hands is USD700. They say it will take 2 months and they won’t let me keep the original movement and caseback (i.e. it is an exchange).

I’m inclined to just keep replacing the battery until the watch stops working, then replace the movement. I have no idea what the life expectancy of a B56 movement is. It’s already 22 years old.

My only concern is that if I wait too long there will be no B75 movements left as I believe they are no longer made. Is this a valid concern, or are new B75 movements still readily available?

Appreciate any advice.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:55 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Welcome to Breitlingsource :lingsrock:

Well... For starters, you shouldn't be worried about movement availability because if they are changing caseback, it is because they are putting caliber 79 inside:

http://www.breitlingsource.com/details/B79.html

It's the same, but upgraded caliber and is used in current Aerospace model (Evo).

I had the same problem as you are having with my Avantage - fading and blinking display segments but watch worked normally.

After some time I decided to pull the trigger and had movement replaced and watch serviced. The cost was about 600 EUR, here in Croatia with 2 years Breitling warranty on everything...

It wasn't easy to make this decision (because resell value is small) but now its one of my favourite watches.

So, decision is yours.

jack-in-oz likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:06 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Hunterfate. That's interesting because I specifically asked whether they would be fitting a B75 or B79 and they told me B75. Are you sure B79 will fit in this case?

600 Euro is very close to what I have been quoted, so I assume Breitling sets the price.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:42 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
If they are fitting a new caseback it is because it is needed to accomodate new movement inside.

There is a technical Breitling document named 0030_11.03.2011_V2_EN.pdf which is no longer available on the Breilting site, but I have it saved.

I tried to upload it but Breitlingsource says that "The extension pdf is not allowed".

It says:
Quote:
Aerospace calibers, 988.332.1 and E10.391 are replaced, respectively upgraded, by
their SuperQuartzTM version:
988.332.1 => 988.352
E10.391 => E10.351.5
The SuperQuartzTM calibers 988.352.5 and E10.351.5 are thicker than the
previously used calibers 988.332.1 and E10.391; the reason why a replacement of
the case back is required (mandatory).

If I find the way to post that document here, I'll do it (in hope I'm breaking no rules)

EDIT: I managed to upload it here:
https://www.docdroid.net/iQ7brfM/0030-1 ... -v2-en.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks again Hunterfate. According to the PDF you provided, my watch (56062) should be upgraded to 988.352.5 (B79) as you say. The model 56062.1 gets upgraded to E10.351.5 (B75). I wonder why they told me B75? It appears both movements will fit, but the LCD display will not line up with the slot in the dial if the wrong movement is used.

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:38 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I just had a closer look at the quote they gave me. It does in fact have the part number of the movement listed as 701.988.352.5 which is a B79, NOT a B75 as they told me. Sorry for the confusion, but I blame Breitling Hong Kong!

As Hunterfate said, this movement should be available for some time as it is in current models. I'll just keep changing batteries until it dies then replace it. Or I might sell the watch and buy something completely different.

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
For that money, I would rather upgrade to a more recent 42mm Aerospace with far batter case and bracelet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

avantgardetime wrote:
For that money, I would rather upgrade to a more recent 42mm Aerospace with far batter case and bracelet.

Since my last post I've done a bit of research on selling my Aerospace. I don't think that is going to be a straightforward process. When I bought the watch the seller promised me the box. When our mutual friend delivered the watch there was no box. I emailed the seller and got no response. As I never intended to sell the watch, I didn't pursue the matter. I don't know whether there was a breakdown in communication, or whether I was conned. I know the watch is genuine, but I can't prove it to a prospective buyer. Also, the market in Australia for my watch is quite small, so I don't think I would get a good price for it.

I've also been looking at Seiko and Citizen pilot watches, but the ones I like are either discontinued or have enormous dials. I don't have thick wrists and don't like the look of an oversized watch on my wrist.

Soooo, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and have my watch upgraded. That seems like the least worst option. For an extra USD180 they will replace the dial. That will give me a watch with a luminescent dial and hands. The watch currently has no luminescence left at all. The service paperwork will also give me proof that the watch is genuine if I am ever forced to sell it. Most likely I will give it to one of my sons.