The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 30 posts
My navitimer world was my first real watch, it quickly got me interested into the world of horology.
I always felt the breitling straps hues of colors were too conservative for my taste. I started reading up a bit on color theory and decided to commission my own straps based on this new acquired knowledge.

I wanted the watch to really pop, so I went with an orange alligator strap. Orange being the complementary color of blue.

The lining is also blue, creating a great contrast within the watch itself as well as any blue attire I may have.

Purple is another color that plays well with blue. So we created this beauty:

My next strap will be a green strap. At that point I will consider my navi strap collection complete.
The whole experience of designing, learning about strap making and engaging with the different artisans has been very rewarding for me. If anybody else is interested let me know. I'd be happy to share my insights on the world of bespoke strap making.

Here is the navi with the breitling croco strap

Last edited by ernesto on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
Don't know much about colour theory, but I agree I find "black and brown" straps rather boring and conservative depending upon the watch itself. I would never put an orange strap on my vintage AOPA cosmonaute. That watch is demanding a more "conservative" strap.
It all depends upon personal taste and we cannot argue about personal taste...
I do like your orange strap and have been looking for a similar strap. Only I refuse to pay the Breitling premium price for their OEM straps so I tend to buy non OEM straps. An original Breitling strap will not last any longer than a non orignial strap so why paying big bucks?
I am wearing a brown orange non Breitling croco imitation strap on my montbrillant datora and are very happy with it.

I just received a real croco brown orange strap made in Vietnam...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:08 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

abynormal, what wooden tool are you using for the pics? I like how it facilitates posing your timepieces.
What atelier did you commission new brown croco strap?

After a few days of use, do you mind sharing a review of the quality, softness, etc... I'm always on the lookout for new quality shop owners.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I bought the strap from Ebay but the seller has since closed his account.
Compared to the strap I have currently on my montbrillant the new strap is a lot thinner. Cannot say it feels cheaper but because it is thinner it give me less confidence it will last a long time.

The wooden tool I used comes from Africa, don't know the name hence the picture....

Last edited by abynormal on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

abynormal, the style of your brown strap on the navitimer is a called what?
I've seen a fair amount of those straps on forums online. What are they like? What pro's/con's can you share on them?

I find the look appealing. if you have more pics of the watch with that strap on your wrist to share would be great :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:15 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Its called a NATO strap, my experience is positive so far.
The one(s) I bought are made of thick leather and the stitchings are solid, resulting that the rings are stiff to move in the strap. I bought a NATO strap for the Datora and this one is a lot thinner, the rings are very loose, all in all a total different quality- this one I removed after 2 days.
In general I tend to "consume" a lot of leather straps especially when wearing all the time in hot climates, well the NATO strap has held up very good. Been wearing the Navitimer while abroad in Africa for work, the result is that the strap got more character and became a bit darker but it seems to be a lot less affected by transpiration than the traditional straps.
I have a Seiko Solar X which also carries a Nylon NATO strap...that one got submerged in the see in salty water, got stains on it etc. Washed it with neutral soap and has come out clean. Almost does not age either...good quality!

The Honey brown strap I do not really like but made of good quality leather.

The "cheap" NATO strap...

The Seiko I wear for work...

Link to ebay, he's straps are very good quality:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Distressed-Brow ... h0q3-spojg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:32 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
Great post,

Have to admit, the World is a very very lovely watch. Here a few of mine on different straps. Feels new every time. The Camel OEM Croc was a gift too me from my AD. Extremely grateful to W. Brufords as it was nearly £500 to buy.

Davey

ImageIMG_9655 by David Vermaak, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6520 (1) by David Vermaak, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9232 (1) by David Vermaak, on Flickr

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:52 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Damnfoolman, I had the pleasure of looking at your flickr gallery. You and I share the same enthusiasm for watch photography.

I'm specially fond of the navi in the snow picture. I will do the same with mine when I get the chance ha ha
The breitling pieces with the 24 complication on the strap. Is that mini watch also mechanical and COSC certified?

Damnfoolman likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
Good morning Ernesto,

Thank you for the comment. I used to take a lot of pictures, not so much now the forums have slowed down so much. But I get endless pleasure from my collection.

The "Small." Watch you are referring too is known as a UTC, superseded by the less popular Co-Pilot which was digital.

Coordinated Universal Time (French: Temps universel coordonné), abbreviated as UTC, is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. It is, within about 1 second, mean solar time at 0° longitude; it does not observe daylight saving time.

The UTC is a quartz movement, I have to say I'm not sure if they are COSC or not, I'm sure Ron can tell us! They are pretty rare, and the bracelets and straps for them seem to be even more so! Ask Findoo (Gav) He's on a mission to get one. Don, I hope you don't mind me using one of you're great pics.

Davey

B1 & UTC

Aerospace & Co-Pilot