Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Warranty Questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:00 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
When did Breitling start using the newer style digital warranty cards? I'm looking at purchasing a pre-owned Breitling with an in house movement. It has the old-style paper warranty booklet stamped and dated middle of 2016. Seemed off to me since my Navitimer 01 originally purchased in 2015 has the new digital style card. Maybe this watch that I'm considering was sitting at the AD for a while before it was sold and was shipped from the factory with the old-style paper warranty book?

Post subject: Re: Warranty Questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 62 posts
Maybe this will help to date the watch:
http://www.breitlingsource.com/articles_dating.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Although the article will help date the watch with respect to manufacturing it still may have sat at a dealer till it was sold. I know that all US dealers use the electronic warranty card system and have been doing so for quite some time. If the watch was from a US dealer then IMO it should have had a electronic warranty card if it was originally sold in the summer to 2016. I am not sure when other worldwide dealers started using the new electronic cards or if they even do. Others will have to chime in! Where was the dealer that originally sold the watch?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 62 posts
I have one digital warranty card dated 31-08-2013. I believe this is the last Breitling I bought.

I bought another Breitling just before this (a few weeks?), with the old style warranty, from the same dealer. This was done in Norway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:10 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
56scooter wrote:
Although the article will help date the watch with respect to manufacturing it still may have sat at a dealer till it was sold. I know that all US dealers use the electronic warranty card system and have been doing so for quite some time. If the watch was from a US dealer then IMO it should have had a electronic warranty card if it was originally sold in the summer to 2016. I am not sure when other worldwide dealers started using the new electronic cards or if they even do. Others will have to chime in! Where was the dealer that originally sold the watch?

The warranty book shows a stamp for DGNY LLC., dated June 2016.

Also, the watch is a Galactic Unitime, which was introduced in 2015. So it should have came from the factory with the digital warranty right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Google DGNY LLC and you will find out some interesting information and you should be able to connect the dots!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
56scooter wrote:
Google DGNY LLC and you will find out some interesting information and you should be able to connect the dots!

I've seen plenty of watches sold by DGNY LLC for sale here and elsewhere on the web, and yet every time I see a question asked about the warranty there's always an obtuse, cryptic response? (not specifically commenting on your post above).

A Google Search as you suggested shows absolutely nothing except company records. Anecdotal discussion elsewhere suggests they are an outlet brand for Govberg. But no clarity is to be found anywhere despite repeated searches.

I'd really love to understand what the go is with DGNY, as I've spent plenty of time investigating and have found nothing except dead-end unanswered conversations and F.U.D.

I'm pretty sure that if they were an outright grey market dealer, that information would be readily acknowledged, so I suspect something else is at play, but with the total lack of any evidence or commentary I and many others seem to be flying blind :(

Vig2000 likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
56scooter wrote:

Okay, I Googled them, and from what I could gather, DGNY LLC seems to be Govberg Jewelers. I'm just confused as to why the stamp reads "DGNY LLC" instead of Govberg. Is anything stamped with "DGNY LLC" considered valid for warranty purposes?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Anecdotal discussion elsewhere suggests they are an outlet brand for Govberg

I think that this would be an accurate representation, If you look at the Govberg website under the history and legacy tabs, Govberg positions itself as the leading jeweler in the Philadelphia, PA area. I guess DGNY, LLC allows it to sell additional merchandise at a price point that would not be consistent with the Govberg image. Mind you, this is only my personal opinion. I have purchased several watches from them and have found them to be excellent individuals to work with.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:49 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
56scooter wrote:
Quote:
Anecdotal discussion elsewhere suggests they are an outlet brand for Govberg

I think that this would be an accurate representation, If you look at the Govberg website under the history and legacy tabs, Govberg positions itself as the leading jeweler in the Philadelphia, PA area. I guess DGNY, LLC allows it to sell additional merchandise at a price point that would not be consistent with the Govberg image. Mind you, this is only my personal opinion. I have purchased several watches from them and have found them to be excellent individuals to work with.

It's still unclear as to whether or not Breitling would honor a warranty stamped with "DGNY, LLC" instead of "Govberg." My guess is no.

Perhaps Govberg uses the moniker of "DGNY, LLC" to sell off their excess stock to the grey market at a steep discount; that way, the Govberg name isn't directly associated with watches they leak to the grey market and therefore their AD status isn't jeopardized. This is pure speculation of course, but Govberg is a huge AD that represents many brands, and as such, I'm sure they always have excess stock that they can't get rid of, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is how their excess stock winds up on the grey market.

Last edited by Vig2000 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
It's still unclear as to whether or not Breitling would honor a warranty stamped with "DGNY, LLC"

Speaking from personal experience, they will. Keep in mind that when watches are "sent" to the grey market, rarely will they have warranty paperwork, otherwise, by definition they would not be gray market!

Vig2000 likes this post.