Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:02 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Thanks for all the tips. I still have awhile before I purchase my watch but I just want to make sure I know all the facts before my purchase. As of now, I'm still unsure about what model I'm going to buy, but I'm going to consider all of your suggestions and recommendations when I make my decision, all of your help is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Funny about personal preferences. I have had my SuperOcean for over 10 years. For most of that time, it had the polished steel PRO I bracelet. All that time I never polished it. It did get scratches, but I kind of liked the "worn" look it had. Every so often, I would wash it in hot, soapy water using Sunlight dish detergent, and it would sparkle like new (albeit with the scratches). Had to replace the bracelet, though, one of the links literally fell out and could not be replaced.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I now have exactly the same dilemma: both watches, with black dials are at my AD, the Steelfish and the Colt GMT. They both look fantastic. The Colt GMT sparkes like a jewel, with the polished steel. The Steelfish looks incredible, too, with the combo of polished and brushed. They are also almost the same price. Early in the New Year I will go in and try both on, and then make up my mind.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:36 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
carlhaluss wrote:
Early in the New Year I will go in and try both on, and then make up my mind.
Cheers,
Carl

That's the only way to do it Carl. I'm pretty sure one will just jump out at you when you try them on. Happy hunting!

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for the reply. Indeed it is happy hunting. I have been searching now for about 4 months, and finally narrowed it down. I did buy a Raymond Weil quartz Don Giovanni with steel bracelet in the meantime, no calendar and a beautifuly silver dial. It's quartz, rectangular, and quite dressy. Also very small and thin. It is really a beautiful watch, and satisfies my tastes for the odd occasion when I want to wear something like that. A total change from the Breitling look.
here is a link to a picture of it,which unfortunately does not do it justice:
http://www.redfingerprint.com/watches_d ... 973ST00309

However, my main quest is for the perfect everyday watch, like my 1997 SuperOcean, which my AD will take on trade. The Steelfish and the Colt GMT seem just right for that, but I feel that the GMT fits the bill perfectly. I had even looked at the Cockpit and Blackbird, but overall I find the aesthetics of the SuperOcean and GMT most pleasing. The Colt GMT also has a complication which I can actually use. It is over 3 grand cheaper than the Blackbird, and just under 2 grand cheaper than the Cockpit. I am really not in the price league for the Windrider range anyway at this time.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:59 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
When I was going through this same decision, I ended up going with the Colt GMT. For awhile, I couldn't make up my mind, but when I saw the polished pro 2 bracelet compared to the brushed finish of the steelfish, that is what made my decision. I really like the Steelfish dial in blue, but the brushed finish just didn't do it for me. I'm still waiting for my AD to get the blue dial GMT he ordered for me. Also, I liked the size of the GMT. I know it's small for a Breitling, but it fit just right on me.