The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:35 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,

I am looking for a Breitling Navitimer and fortunately my friend is going to sell a World one. I have seen his watch many times, last time 2 weeks ago, and I know that there are only few tiny scratches visible in specific angle. But I asked friend to take some photos. I am shocked after photos came, he was also after taking them. This is how it looks.

In the center you can see the same watch, but without any light reflecions (only some dust visible), but with specific angles there are tons of scratches that are pretty invisible with an eye (I have never noticed them and was seen this watch at close range plenty times). I know that it could be scratches anti-reflective coating, but I am not sure. Could it be sapphire crystal damages?

If those scratches are only at AR, I know that it could be polished off, but I wonder how your Breitlings is going. I found this topic
http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11367
Where almost everyone says they don`t have any scratches on their watches. Really? You do not have, or haven`t noticed yet? I know that my friend often wear the watch,but he take care about it and those scratches weren`t result of negligence.

I also checked many sell offers of Breitling Navitimer 01/Navitimer world and have never seen damages like that, but the truth is that almost all offers have pictures with worse resolution, without that magnification and almost never shows reflections on crystal.

What do you think about that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 371 posts
I think that you might be better served by purchasing a new watch so that you are responsible for any scratches in the AR coating. Given your level of scrutiny I don't think that you will ever be happy buying used, I would hate to see normal wear and tear come between your friendship with others. Just my two cents!!

WatchFred likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:56 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

You probably misunderstood me a little. I am not the type who look at watches with magnifier and point out every imperfection. I know this watch and accept its condition, I am also sure that we will find fair price with my friend and we both will be happy. I am only very surprised, that watch can look like that at high resolution photo and the only thing that I am afraid is that those scratches are not on AR coating, but the sapphire crystal. Could everyone dispel my doubts?

And to clarify: I didn`t request those photos. My friend offered to take some photos and send me, then called me and said: "What the F*. My watch looks like hell. I haven't noticed that before". Me neither.

I started this thread, because I wonder how it looks in other watches. I know this one was used carefully and look like this. In the other hand it is 7 years old now and it was worn to the job where travelling by underground, so there are many people in rush hours, some wipes over people clothes, buttons, belts was possible when slipped out from under the sleeve.

You guys sounds like your watches look exactly like this, but you are afraid to show it or even say it.

I can`t imagine how watch like this (with this type of bezel and glass) could not have any scratches at the AR coating, as many users wrote in other threads. Could someone share some some photos of used watch without them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 176 posts
It's almost impossible in normal life to scratch a sapphire crystal, though they can be chipped around the edge. However it is very easy to scratch anti-reflective coating. Some people choose to polish it off & it can be reapplied if so wished. Personally, it wouldn't bother me, I'd wear it till service is due & ask to have the crystal recoated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:35 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Scratches on AR are as inevitable as scratches on clasps, and a lot less noticeable. Given that corundum (the material sapphire crystals are made of) is almost as hard as diamond it is highly unlikely to be scratched and if it were you would feel it with a finger nail.

If scratched AR bothers you then buy a brand that only uses inner AR coating, it's the only way to avoid it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:54 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Ok, we agreed that shown scratches are on AR coating and it is almost impossible to scratch a sapphire crystal.

The question is: can we call those shown scratches as normal traces of use on a few years old watch? Or maybe all of your watches has almost clear AR coating with no scratches and this one is an example of very unfortunate normal (even careful) use?

Can anyone show a photo of your used Navitimers AR coating?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 176 posts
If you really like your friends watch, when discussing the price, factor in the cost of the AR being reapplied between you. Or, perhaps, the cost of a new crystal, that should give you real peace of mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:48 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I am a guy who like Breitling watches very much and decided to buy first one. I can afford it, maybe even a new one. But I can't imagine I have to change the crystal every year for $500-1000 (I don't know how much is it, I assume it is a few hundred bucks), if it really get scratches like this easily.

I can stand condition of my friends watch, but I would like to know, if it is common situation or other Breitling users can protect them and this is extreme case.

---
So lets forget about this particular watch. Lets say I am looking for used Breitling Navitimer 01 or Navi World at the market (here, at chrono24 etc.). Most of the offers have nice photos, but not to high resolution and not showing AR reflections. What can I expect? Look like above or clean AR coating (we are speaking about used watches).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

as far as I know, there is nobody that offers AR recoating as a service (might be wrong, of course).
Breitling clearly do not, they'll just offer a new crystal (at quite ridiculous prices) which will soon scratch again ;)

most of us don't even notice those scratches and you really mostly notice them on hi res pictures, not irl - just change that picture angle then and the scratches will almost be invisible again.

so.... live with those scratches and perfect AR - or polish off the external coating and still have the internal AR, good enough for most.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Is there anyone who can share some photos showing condition of AR coating on his Breitling, especially Navitimer?

Or maybe someone has removed outside AR coating and can show how it works with light reflections?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
JeffE wrote:
Or maybe someone has removed outside AR coating and can show how it works with light reflections?

If only this site had a search function......

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60527

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

well.... as you've apparently decided not to read what I wrote, I'll try again: literally all watches you see posted here do have scratches on their recent model Breitlings they show, you should find enough Navitimer pictures among the 14,000+ pictures here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32608

and here is Emile's story of his scratched crystal and pictures of his watch with the coating removed:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60527

Not a Navitimer, so you'll have to use your imagination a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:37 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 86 posts
I found that the AR on my Steelfish was not right as I wore the watch 5-7 days a week for about 6 years as a residential plumber. Took it off for the really rough jobs, but a lot of wear none the less. Just recently I decided to remove the AR from the crystal and to be honest I like it better. Gives the watch a real shine and presents it did not have before, to my eye anyway. I would take it off all of my B's but it cuts into the originality of them so I have not. I would more than likely have a new crystal with AR installed on its next service but that will not be for a while as like it the way it is.
My .02, Frank.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 42 posts
I had some scratches on my Transocean. One deep scratch. I had the AR polished off. All the small scratches is gone but one little scratch remains. They couldn't remove this one. It was into the Chrystal. The watch looks much better now. I can't see the difference with or without the outside AR. That small little scratch (probably 1mm long) still annoys me. If the light shines just right on the watch I can see it but not worth $700. Scratch at 10o clock. I don't think you'll see it.

[WATCH]️

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next