The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Greetings to all of you! I was delighted to find this website in my quest for more info about Breitling SuperOcean.
I purchased my first Breitling, a Colt, in about 1987. It had the rubber strap, which really appealed to me. In 1997, the strap had worn out and I went to the local Breitling dealer to see if it could be replaced with either a rubber one or a new stainless steel one. I can't remember what transpired exactly at that time, but I did get a rather large credit for the Colt and upgraded to the SuperOcean with the stainless steel pro bracelet. That bracelet has done me for 10 years, now one of the links has come apart from the strap, and I am told it cannot be repaired. So if they can find a bracelet which will fit the 1997 model, it will be around $440.00. I can also get either a rubber or leather strap. the rubber appeals more. The other option is that I can get a credit of about $850.00 and upgrade to the new SuperOcean with the Pro II bracelet for about $1800.00, which I am quite tempted to do. However, I did get this watch in 1997 with the intention of keeping it for life. I do love the watch, although I am not a diver, and have never seen one I like better, except maybe the newer updated model. I like the simplicity of the SuperOcean, not too many dials and things. Mine has the black dial, the one I would upgrade to has the blue dial.
That's my story, My question is, has anyone changed from a steel bracelet to the rubber or leather one and how do you like it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:50 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Hello Carl,

keeping a watch for Your livetime is rather limited to certain massive types of watches. A Navitimer or a Chronomat Evolution with a Pilot bracelet are good samples. The old Professional bracelets are way off from the quality of the Pilot bracelets. The new Professional II is a lot better already, but there is still a quality difference to the Pilot. Of course there is also a big price difference, but that has to be. You cannot expect a $ 2000,- to hold as long as a $ 5000,- watch, when it has the same movement type.

When You want to keep a watch for a livetime, I recommend, that You take the cheapest possibility to reactivate Your watch for now and start saving for a watch of the Windrider or Navitimer class.

Best greatings
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. What you say makes a lot of sense. The main reason, however, for my keeping or upgrading the SuperOcean is not only cost: I like watches that are simple, as I am not a diver and don't use it for any sports and do not travel a lot. I like the looks of the SuperOcean best, and also like the large numerals. The agent at the shop did mention that the new Pro II bracelet is a lot better. At any rate, I will
start doing some more research based on your recommendation.
For the moment, I will go with just a thorough overhaul and cleaning, plus a nice black leather strap for my existing watch.
The shop where I bought my SuperOcean is very good, the best in this city and one of the few to sell Breitling. They will also give me a credit for my existing watch, as they can resell it. Do you know if many Breitling dealers do this kind of thing? I was quite surprised that it was offered.
Thanks again for your info and advice.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
That's a great offer from your AD... which one is it? I'm sure it wasn't La Swiss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

breitlingsource wrote:
That's a great offer from your AD... which one is it? I'm sure it wasn't La Swiss.

Actually, it is called "Time & Gold". It is a smaller, but very well-established shop in Vancouver, owned by a very hardworking, pleasant and humble fellow. He has made a very successful business for himself, one of the people who one really can be glad for. The first time I tried to get a band for my Colt (the older, smaller model), it was to be a very difficult task. During the discussion, it was offered to me that a trade would be possible. Hence I got the SuperOcean. Of course, now that I have seen the improvements in the newer version, I am very tempted. However, I don't think I would be able to do anything until the New Year, so I think that I will just do the overhaul, a few repairs and get a black leather band.
Sorry to ramble on. I just meant to answer your question, but I do have a bit of a passion for Breitling watches. I really did not think that there would be very many watch dealers willing to do trades. They do have a very small section of their counter space devoted to some very nice looking preowned watches, though, so the owner must figure it is worthwhile.
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers,
Carl