Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling event review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:58 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Long's jewelers here in Boston hosted an event showcasing an expanded collection Breitlings and the newer Bentley editions. They also had several of the diamond collection watches on hand. I tried one on that was priced at $160,000. I felt like I should put out a rap album if I kept it on much longer that 5 minutes. Anyways, there was a guest chef (Ming Tsai) giving a cooking demonstration (while wearing a Flying B), 2 Bentley Continentals out front, and passed hors d'oeuvres and wine.

There was also a Breilting official there who had an Evolution taken apart and was showing off the inner workings of it while it was still running. He had a microscope that was wired to a television so you could see all the workings on a grand scale. I spent close to an hour asking questions, listening and watching to his demonstration. I was amazed at the dexterity with which he would remove and place the smallest of pieces (with a tweezer). He also had a showcase of Lings dating back through 1930.

I had a great time at the event and that was before they sent me home with a gift bag containing a Breitling lighter, polishing cloth, pocket knife, and both 2007 catalogs (Chrono & Bentley).

I cannot say that every AD will roll out the red carpet for this, but I highly recommend investigating it if one pops up at your local AD. If you are here in Boston, get yourself to Long's and sign up for the next one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Sounds like a pretty cool event you had there. The last VIP event at my AD here in the UK had the Red Arrows Air Display Team as guests of honour which was pretty good, but I think yours went to town even more!

It's well worth getting in on these events if you can (in other words spend daft amounts of money with them! :wink: ), and you do get a few goodies too. I'm kind of hoping my AD will raffle off a watch or two at the next one!! :wink: (Highly unlikely...... but we can dream! :) )

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:24 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Im gonna ask La Swiss about this. I wasnt aware Breitling has these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
That's pretty awesome! I wish La Swiss did these.. Not sure if they do. Will be interesting to find out. Time & Gold would be worth checking too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:32 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Boston rugger wrote:
They also had several of the diamond collection watches on hand. I tried one on that was priced at $160,000. I felt like I should put out a rap album if I kept it on much longer that 5 minutes.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

:lol:

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:33 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I made friends with my local AD and got invited to 2 Panerai promotions with free champagne and canapees non stop - very expensive caterers - a real treat!! For the launch of the Ferrari range and then their in house 8 day movt range.

The chrono ETA Valjoux 7750 that breitling use and is an industry standard high quality but relatively inexpensive chronograph movt. Actually the Valjoux range has recently been superseded by the new ETA Valgrange range. These are re-worked and improved versions of their predecessors and share very few if any common parts. The basic 25 jewelled version of the 7750 can be bought for around $2-400 depending where you go. You can sometimes pick up NOS 17 jewel versions (no difference in quality - the missing jewels are in the minute counter wheels and other non stressed areas) for between $1-200.

I have taught myself basic watch making skills and have stripped and re-built several 7750's now. I never ceased to be amazed at the intricacy of these mechanical marvels - I guess that's why we love them!!!

Respect to our member Vanessa - the skills needed to work on these is very very high.

You should buy a basic handwind movt - a Russian Molnija pocket watch type ($20 or so), a set of jewellers screwdrivers and take it apart so you fully understand how a movt works - they're actually very simple, ingenious things, pure maths!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
I wish La Swiss did these.. Not sure if they do. Will be interesting to find out.

I got a call from them ahead of the airshopw at the CNE in Toronto inviting me to the Breitling VIP tent, but not aware of anything that the store hosts. Maybe now they have a store in Yorkville it will be more likely.