The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:41 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have been browsing this excellent site for a couple of weeks now. I am new to Breitling, and its my first venture into an expensive watch.

On a recent trip to Greece I saw a jeweller with a blue Evo with white subs and blue leather strap. It instantly struck home. I had to have that watch!

I have already done my homework and decided to go for a brand new watch from an AD to make sure I don't get caught out with a fake.

My question is, which colour is best for appearance and investment value over the years?

I don't want to buy a colour that is perceived to be a no no in knowledgeable circles.

Having looked at all the available colours, I quite fancy the all slate grey. Trouble is that the colour that originally caught my eye was the blue one.

I like them all to be honest, but just need a bit of guidance on most peoples preference.

I think that whatever colour I go for it will be a stainless case with stainless strap. Definitely no gold!

Please help me decide :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I think first of all you should decide why you're buying the watch.

If it's for an investment, buy a Patek Phillipe perhaps...to me it boils down simply to what I like.

I'm certainly not criticising, but if you look at my previous post here you'll see my arguments on the subject - buy the watch for you, buy what please you - be selfish, and don't worry what other people think, or what you'll get back for it if you ever want to sell it.

HTH

PS. Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that I might be selling my Chronomat Evo blue dial.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:42 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

sportback wrote:
PS. Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that I might be selling my Chronomat Evo blue dial.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I also have the blue dialed Evo and I LOVE that blue that Breitling uses.. as far as Long Term viability i think they are all good.. none of the current models have too trendy of a color blend like the dials of yore with the green and gold.. the only one that might be a bit of a dated look is the blue and gold which is something of a Breitling signature.. but this is all my opinion.

Sportback has been sucked into the dark side of Panerai. I wanted to make a Panerai site at one point, since I find that Paneristi is very poorly designed as far as the reference pages are concerned. I think that it could benefit from a bit of a UI redesign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Couldn't agee more, in terms of the paneristi site - but we're not here to make it easier for 'em!!

Sucked into the dark side of panerai - I kinda like that :wink: but I personally like to think it's more like 'diversification' - I haven't deserted Breitling in any way (As can be seen by todays purchase) and I think there's room for both.

The point of my original reply on this thread was to ask what was more important to the buyer/owner of a watch - the 'image' or the satisfaction of owning something the person really wants. Sometimes I think this is forgotten in the rush to impress - but this is only my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:09 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 335 posts
M3Owner wrote:
Which colour is best for appearance and investment value over the years? Please help me decide :wink:
Hi, M3Owner. Well, you're certainly in a quandary there. LOL. Others are absolutely correct. Buy the watch for YOU because it is personal. An investment? Hardly. Some Pateks and AP's and a few others can be an investment but that's not why you're here. You can always buy a very common Rolex and hold on to it for a while to resell at a small profit because of the uninformed and very general perception of the brand by the public. Mass marketing at its finest. Some "special" or "limited" edition Breitlings do hold their fair resale value better than others but again, we're not talking investment commodoties here, we're talking collectables. As for color choices, quite subjective as you would possibly assume. I have all the "basic" colors in my Breitling collection and have an opinion based on those choices. Blue is beautiful and legible but somewhat limiting in terms of clothing color choice. Black and white (silver) dials are both way less limiting in that regard but black is certainly more legible. The last Breitling I acquired happens to be a Chronomat Evolution also and it has the slate dial with black subdials. Hands down winner for being the best all around color IMHO. Perfectly legible and wears well with any choice of clothing and colors. Below is a link to my collection's slideshow which may help you with your decision. Good luck and best regards, :)
Ron

Click to view: Breitling Pics Slideshow

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery "Flow" or... 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi M3Owner,

Here is mine ...

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=180

If I had to do it all over again, I would choose the one you mentioned: Blue Evo/ White subdials on Stainless.

The blue and gold combo is indeed Breitling's sig as admin has stated. It's a beautiful watch. But I feel that it's too flashy. I feel like a black jack dealer in Vegas. Hence, I'm thinking of getting a blue leather band for a change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:16 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

nonggadin wrote:
Hi M3Owner,

Here is mine ...

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=180

If I had to do it all over again, I would choose the one you mentioned: Blue Evo/ White subdials on Stainless.

The blue and gold combo is indeed Breitling's sig as admin has stated. It's a beautiful watch. But I feel that it's too flashy. I feel like a black jack dealer in Vegas. Hence, I'm thinking of getting a blue leather band for a change.

That blue gold combo looks stunning, but as you say, its a bit too flashy.

It looks like I will stick with the blue with white subs on a stainless bracelet. I will probably buy a blue leather strap at the same time, just for an occasional different look. Will I need any special tool to remove the bracelet?

I won't be buying until Christmas, so I still have time to change my mind.