The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
So after much searching and deliberating, I've narrowed it down to these 3 finalists for my next purchase. They're all around 46mm, so size isn't an issue, they're all chrono, which is exactly what I want, and the same goes for automatic. The prices are close enough after the discount that I beleive I could find that the price isn't really an issue either. They're just 3 extremely different pieces. I'd get the Navi on a strap, the SuperOcean Heritage on mesh, and the Planet Ocean on either mesh or bracelet. I currently have the new Colt Chrono on bracelet, and I want something slightly more substantial, as well as slightly bigger. So what I'm really after is livability advice/opinions. How different are the movements between them (chiefly Omega vs. the Breitlings), what do people like/dislike about these specific models in terms of real world usability? I'm sure there's more that most of you have forgotten about these watches than I've learned in all my hours of searching, so I humbly submit my question here. Please, wise ones, help me out, beyond just telling me to try them on and pick the one that sings to me, as I am equally in love with all 3 (not a bad problem to have, if I say so myself), and now need some objective advice beyond my own subjective feelings. So: which and why?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:19 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Navitimer World :superman:

Breitling Navitimer LE 125 Anniversaire
Omega Seamaster PO Chrono XL
Citizen Blue Angels
Rolex Submariner LV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:08 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
The new planet ocean chrono gets my vote

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
I suspect you're talking about the older-gen Planet Ocean, since the newer model costs considerably more than either the SOHC or Navi World; plus, the new one doesn't come on mesh yet, as far as I know. If so, consider the fact you're talking about an out-of-production model, which might affect availability.

The differences between the movements of the old and new POC are substantial, as they are completely different movements. The new POC uses the in-house 9300, which allows for the minute and hour chrono hands to be in the same register and read like a clock face; hence, the new POC only has two subdials, whereas the older-gen POC has three. The older POC uses the Piguet-based 3313, which has been known to be problematic in terms of its reliability. To be sure, not everyone who has owned a 3313-based watch has had problems with it, but enough have that some people highly recommend you avoid it. (I don't have an opinion on this, since I don't own one. However, I strongly recommend you make sure you buy one with a factory warranty intact, in case you do have problems.) The 3313 has been modified by Omega to have a co-axial escapement, and the 9300 has a co-axial escapement inherent in its design. The co-axial design supposedly improves efficiency and extends service intervals. It's an Omega thing that they tout; Breitlings don't feature a co-axial design - nor do most other brands, for that matter. The 9300 has a silicon balance spring, which Omega hypes as being more dependable and accurate; Omega backs it with a four-year warranty. I believe the 3313 only comes with a two-year warranty, unless that's changed since the last time I checked.

Both the Navi World and the SOHC use ETA-based movements. The SOHC uses the B13, which is a modified version of your good old Valjoux 7750 - very common, but tested and reliable. The Navi World uses the B24, which is a modified 7754 - essentially a 7750 with a 24-hour hand added. Neither movement is going to get a true WIS drooling, but they are (relatively) affordable, well-established, and reliable. I personally have no problem considering an ETA-based watch, if it's something I really like. ETA-based Breitlings only come with a two-year warranty. In-house Breitlings come with a five-year warranty, which is a moot point, since it would seem you're not considering one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:37 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
If you have excellent rapport with an AD who trusts you implicitly,
you could try each on consignment. Wear test each one for a few
days, then declare the champ after careful evaluations. Certain car
companies offer returns/exchanges, perhaps jewelers can oblige as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

angstfree wrote:
If you have excellent rapport with an AD who trusts you implicitly,
you could try each on consignment.

I have yet to hear of such an arrangement. Perhaps some of our AD friends, or members with very good AD relationships, can give us input on the likelihood of this scenario. My gut reaction is that it is not a likely possibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:26 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
I have yet to hear of such an arrangement. Perhaps some of our AD friends, or members with very good AD relationships, can give us input on the likelihood of this scenario. My gut reaction is that it is not a likely possibility.

I don't think I could convince Govberg to let me borrow a watch to test drive it for a few days, and I've got a pretty god relationship with them. If I'm in Philadelphia for a visit, then maybe I could test one for a couple of hours but I can't see anything more than that.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:17 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 4 posts
navi world!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:40 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
navi world, just because its so gorgeous....

Crosswind Special, White
Chronomat 44 B01 LE
Navi 01 LE, Vapor Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:02 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

jnelson3097 wrote:
If I'm in Philadelphia for a visit, then maybe I could test one for a couple of hours but I can't see anything more than that.

And I would imagine you'd really be testing their patience to ask to do so with three watches in a row.