Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:15 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,

I am a new guy here, came across this site after doing a search :) I am wondering if anyone here knows about my old Breitling watch that I've had for over 20 years. I have taken pics but I can't seem to attach them here, so if anyone knows how it works, or is able to help me post the pics, let me know and I'll email it to them.

The back of the case says "Brevet Modele Depose 8500" and I know it is a genuine Breitling because I got it from an authorised dealer all those years ago but over the years I have lost the papers and now I can't remember anything about it. The watch still works but I think the water resistant seals have long perished. The strap is a funny one, I think its silicone rubber and it has markings for cm, inches, map scales and morse code for each alphabet and number on the inside of the strap.

If anyone here knows more about it, please share the info with me! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Create an account at photobucket.com and upload your photos there.. it will allow you share your photos on the forum. Unfortunately the software I use for forum doesn't allow image uploads...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Here goes, hope this works and thanks!

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x64/ ... rent=1.jpg

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x64/ ... rent=2.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Hello audionutter,

I am working with Breitling for more than 20 years now, but this looks like a fake to me.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Alien,

It's definitely NOT a fake. Definitely a genuine Breitling, maybe a limited edition or limited run model. After all, I did get it from an authorised Breitling dealer. Anyway, been searching on the net and found this info on another site:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread ... post462090

If anyone knows more details about it, please share the info and let me know! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:49 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Audionutter,

Admin has this watch listed on this site at this link

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... d_120.html

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:09 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hello All,
I found this forum while searching for information on this particular watch. I have had one of these watches for more than 20 years. Information on this instrument is impossible to find.

I can suggest one change to the Breitling Source watch description. The band is a plastic polymer material not a leather strap. The outside of the band has map scales for the common military topo maps 1:5000, 1:25000 and 1:100000. In addition it has measurement scales for inches and centimeters. The inside of the band has Morse code, letters and numerals.

I am still interested in obtaining another band to keep as a spare. I am hesitant to wear the watch as plastic bands tend to eventually break. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:33 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
Definitely something of a mystery watch. I can only find one reference to this watch (at www.breitling.co.il/) so if anyone speaks Yiddish, a translation would be helpful!

Quote:
732 Ronda ברייטלינג דגם 8500 נדיר משנת 1979 שיוצר בתפר שבמכירת חברת
ברייטלינג מנגנו

Which I take to mean...
Breitling model: 8500
Year of manufacture: 1979
Movement: Ronda 732

Ranfft Watches shows that the Ronda 732 was the movement used in the old analogue Breitling UTC module A61172. It can still be bought for the princely sum of £3.50! I wonder how much Breitling would charge you for a replacement movement?

The look of the watch reminds me of a G10 military spec watch. Maybe this watch was produced by Breitling for the military and never went on sale to the general public which is why there is little/no information on it.

@Havoc/Jim
Is the strap the original Breitling strap or an aftermarket one? I've never heard of such a thing. Any chance of a picture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I suspect that this is one of those transitional pieces that appeared in the 1979 / 80 time period after Sicura acquired Breitling but before the 'modern' Breitlings started to appear. The Breitling name was used pretty much immediately and I suspect that this watch was one of the watches that Sicura was already producing under a different name (they were white label manufacturers) and just put the Breitling name on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:03 am 

Liked in: 1 post
This watch was discussed on WUS last year, including contributions from audionutter. Lots of pictures and makes for an interesting read.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/archive/index.php/t-72638.html

and

http://forums.watchuseek.com/archive/index.php/t-52493.html

Conclusion was that it's probably an early model from the Colt line but it's very rare and audionutter probably has more information on this model than everyone else put together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Wow, I am surprised to see this thread again! I don't have that much info on it, except what I had already shared. However, the movement is not a Ronda 732, but a (Harley) Ronda 375 instead. It is a single jewel unadjusted movement that is probably quite common back in those days. A nice touch that is still found on this movement is the ability to regulate and adjust the rate of the watch, I have since adjusted mine to be at precisely 0 secs in 24 hours but it does gain one second every two weeks. Not bad for such an old movement! I have also opened the case back to take some pics and will add some pics of the strap later.

Image[/img][/url]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:01 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

It’s a rebadged Sicura Stunt watch - the first example of Schneider turning his Sicura factory into the Breitling factory. Early examples have “Sic of Switzerland” on the inside of the case back, the only model I know that displays both Breitling and Sicura branding

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
BigJohn wrote:
It’s a rebadged Sicura Stunt watch - the first example of Schneider turning his Sicura factory into the Breitling factory. Early examples have “Sic of Switzerland” on the inside of the case back, the only model I know that displays both Breitling and Sicura branding

Also, some of the early Stunt ladies watches (8501) use the the same movement as the Breitling ladies Tabarly line of watches. Look before purchasing though because the later ones also use the Ronda movement. Ask me how I know. :roll: