Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Finally got to see a black dial 49 at the weekend. Really disappointed. It wasn't the size that put me off. I just can't put my finger on it. It just didn't feel right; it didn't "feel" like a Breitling. Sorry to be so vague!

Avenger Seawolf
Chrono Avenger
Aerospace
SOHC LE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:08 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

U.S. prices are as follow:

Steel
    Ocean Racer are $6570
    on Aero Classic are $6860

Red gold limited 500

Ocean Racer $20,775
    Croc $24,505
    Not available on bracelet

I personally like the watch. I just sold one of the 18kr versions on croc. It looks sharp. The steel on bracelet does look kind of goofy to me. I think the bracelet is too narrow for the big head. I like the bracelet design on Bentlely GMT much better for the 49mm case.

Also, I will have to disagree with you on '08 models being unsuccesful. I love the redesigned Seawolf, in person, it feels and looks awesome. The redesigned SuperOcean is an eye-candy piece, also. The heritage style hands and the hollow hour markers are on point. Of course, let's not forget about the Roman numerals becoming available on an all-steel Chronomat. I also think Breitling made the right move to add new dials to Supever Avenger, yet keep the old ones. The ONLY piece I am not attracted to this year is the new Airwolf. It looks silly. The 'sunray' dial from last year is not the best, but the new lines are kinda eh. Just my .02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
You know, looking at that makes me think they're trying to ride this whole "retro/vintage" wave, by making new watches that mimic their 70's models in many ways (other than size). Other than that, it could be that we just expect Bs to look "a certain way" and when that isn't fulfilled we protest.

Ultimately I think that variety as a whole in a lineup is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:16 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

peezie wrote:
You know, looking at that makes me think they're trying to ride this whole "retro/vintage" wave, by making new watches that mimic their 70's models in many ways (other than size). Other than that, it could be that we just expect Bs to look "a certain way" and when that isn't fulfilled we protest.

Ultimately I think that variety as a whole in a lineup is good.

Well, I don't see anything being wrong with 'retro' lines. I mean just think about it. In the 1970's, there was a 15-20 year old kid who saw these watches. For one reason or the other, he couldn't get it at the time. As the time went by, watches changed. He likes the new, but still has a passion to those models where it all started. Now, he can try and find an original and either pay premium for it or just not be able to find it at all, OR refer to one these watches that look very similar to original and live the dream. Is it the exact thing, no, but its a good alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
As with anything to do with watches, it's all a matter of opinion....

I will concede that the new baton marker SA has grown on me a lot of late.... but only in white. And as I think I mentioned in this thread, the white CM49 is by far and away the best colour for that model IMHO.

My personal opinion on the rest hasn't really changed. The new Seawolf looks OK (apart from the grey markers on the yellow dial version - would've looked much sharper in black IMO) - but it still begs the question of why make it in steel as it's just a deeper Steelfish now. :huh

I'm still not feeling the outline numerals on the new SO ; the Bentley GMT still looks a little tacky compared to the awesome original Bentleys ; but I do prefer the lines instead of the sunray dial on the Airwolf.

To me retro-styling is fine provided there's some new stuff too, and I just feel that this years new models haven't really hit the spot for me. It's all either minor reworks of existing models, or a couple of new models that no-one really goes mad for. None of them are totally horrendous, but likewise none are screaming out to me either. I was just hoping for more I guess - a bigger Chronomat, maybe a return of the Crosswind, some interesting movements like a full auto rattrapante, etc.....

But as I say, it's all just personal opinions and what do I know! :wink:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
As with anything to do with watches, it's all a matter of opinion....

I will concede that the new baton marker SA has grown on me a lot of late.... but only in white. And as I think I mentioned in this thread, the white CM49 is by far and away the best colour for that model IMHO.

My personal opinion on the rest hasn't really changed. The new Seawolf looks OK (apart from the grey markers on the yellow dial version - would've looked much sharper in black IMO) - but it still begs the question of why make it in steel as it's just a deeper Steelfish now. :huh

I'm still not feeling the outline numerals on the new SO ; the Bentley GMT still looks a little tacky compared to the awesome original Bentleys ; but I do prefer the lines instead of the sunray dial on the Airwolf.

To me retro-styling is fine provided there's some new stuff too, and I just feel that this years new models haven't really hit the spot for me. It's all either minor reworks of existing models, or a couple of new models that no-one really goes mad for. None of them are totally horrendous, but likewise none are screaming out to me either. I was just hoping for more I guess - a bigger Chronomat, maybe a return of the Crosswind, some interesting movements like a full auto rattrapante, etc.....

But as I say, it's all just personal opinions and what do I know! :wink:

Tough to argue.

I think that new watches that are a departure from the norm take a while to grow - I hated the SOH when I first saw it, now my wife has an SOH 38 and I'm trying to decide between blue and bronze for my SOHC. This year I'm just not seeing that same growth in appreciation for the pieces.

I am a roman fan and so the chronomat change is welcomed, but there arent many of the reworked dials that I like - especially in the windrider range. The GMT on rubber is hideous, I liked the look of the one on Speed until I saw it in the flesh. The Chronomatic 49 - it's OK, but I'd rather have an original Chronomatic.

In the ever increasing popularity of Breitlings I fear that we are losing the 'mechanical magnificence' that made the brand in favour of cosmetic changes - heck this is the brand that put their patent number on the face of the watch and now we have to get excited about the addition of batons!

Anyone who knows me through here knows my passion for the brand, but where is the watch that appeals to the watch guy - I'm all in favour of mass market success, but give us true watch people something to love - a rattrapante, a beautifully decorated DB, heck break the mould and give us a retrograde.

Give me a reason to fall in love with the brand all over again, don't give me warmed over 2007s

/rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I would need a different bezel on it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Roffensian wrote:
I think that new watches that are a departure from the norm take a while to grow - I hated the SOH when I first saw it, now my wife has an SOH 38 and I'm trying to decide between blue and bronze for my SOHC.

I forgot about the SOHC....... and I do actually like it ; far more in fact than the SOH, but in contrast to Roff, I like it in black the most.

Roffensian wrote:
In the ever increasing popularity of Breitlings I fear that we are losing the 'mechanical magnificence' that made the brand in favour of cosmetic changes - heck this is the brand that put their patent number on the face of the watch and now we have to get excited about the addition of batons!

Anyone who knows me through here knows my passion for the brand, but where is the watch that appeals to the watch guy - I'm all in favour of mass market success, but give us true watch people something to love - a rattrapante, a beautifully decorated DB, heck break the mould and give us a retrograde.

Give me a reason to fall in love with the brand all over again, don't give me warmed over 2007s

/rant

:yeahthat Well said.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:00 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Driver8 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
I think that new watches that are a departure from the norm take a while to grow - I hated the SOH when I first saw it, now my wife has an SOH 38 and I'm trying to decide between blue and bronze for my SOHC.

I forgot about the SOHC....... and I do actually like it ; far more in fact than the SOH, but in contrast to Roff, I like it in black the most.

Roffensian wrote:

/rant

:yeahthat Well said.

Roff - If you could buy one watch this year what would it be? It can be one of the new models that came out this year or something that has been in productions for a while now? I'm curious what watch comes closest in your opinion to this appeal for the Breitling watch guy?
:breitling3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:54 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Roffensian wrote:

Tough to argue.

I think that new watches that are a departure from the norm take a while to grow - I hated the SOH when I first saw it, now my wife has an SOH 38 and I'm trying to decide between blue and bronze for my SOHC. This year I'm just not seeing that same growth in appreciation for the pieces.

/rant

I guess my question to you guys is...have you seen and tried every single on of these models you are talking about? If not, pictures don't do much justice to many of them. The new Bentley might look yucky on picture, however, the 18kr version on rubber is an amazing watch. Originally, while being presented to me by my rep, I HATED the new SuperOcean with 'heritage' hands and hollow markers...when I finally saw one in person, it was a night and day difference. Now, the only reason I've seen pretty much all of these models is because I was recently at Breitling in CT, however, I know most of the AD's do not have all the new pieces yet in stock because of availability. Matter of fact, the only pieces I got is a Heritage SuperOcean Chrono, the new white with stick markers Super Avenger and a new ladies' Cockpit with cushion dial. Did have the new SuperOcean and rose gold Chrono-Matic 49, but both of those are already sold.

Like you said, it is all a matter of personal opinion, but you also have to give it to Breitling for doing as much as they did this year! I mean, most brands come out with 3-5 models each year, either redesigned or completely new. Breitling did 14 pieces. Either redesigned or are new. Are all of them going to be a success? Probably not (again, I do not, at all, like the steel Chrono-Matic 49 on bracelet).

I guess just personally, I have enjoyed what Breitling did this year, and have nothing but respect for the brand and the people behind it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Very good points. Breitling has indeed come out with quite a few New-Lings... (is that a new word :P )

Pictures alond can't do any of these watches justice. You simply HAVE to go and see them in person ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I've seen the baton SA, the Bentley GMT, the CM49 (in the various colours), the SOHC, and the new SO all in person. Of those I've only handled the CM49 - bronze and white.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Breitling brand, and the watches they produce. However, I just don't massively like the models brought out this year.

I guess it's because I love the brand so much that I have very clear ideas about what I'd ideally like to see them make, and for me it's more about specific new watches with nice, interesting movements, rather than predominantly reworking a few dials and case material on existing models. And of the totally new models, only one has really registered with me at all - the SOHC (in black). The others I'm simply not keen on. I was just a little disappointed overall. Still.... there's always next year! :wink:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I've handled all the watches that came out this year, but not every colour of every watch.

I agree with Driver8 that the white CM49 is more appealing than the other colours. The only GMT I saw was the bronze, and when I first posted my thoughts on it here I freely admitted that was likely the worst colour from a clarity standpoint, but I found the date almost impossible to read inside the busy subdial and the bezel way too thick. When I compare with say the Zenith Multicity I'd take the Zenith every time - Gold or Steel.

To Nathan's question about only being able to buy one watch this year, or I guess which watch comes closes to my concept of Breitling's ideals - that's tough.

I could cheat and say the LE of 10 solid gold Navitimer QP rattrapante that I'm selling, but from a practicality standpoint I would never buy that as a keeper watch anyway.

From the current line up I would have to say that the Skyracer comes closest due to it's unique chronograph that allows hours and minutes to be displayed on the same subdial - that's innovative. I haven't purchased it yet - it was going to be my summer watch this year until I managed to get hold of a Blacksteel, but is definitely on the list.

Of the ones that I've actually bought - the Mark VI Complications 19 probably comes closest - a semi-perpetual isn't a new concept, but it's still a marvel of miniaturisation.

The Complications 29 obviously takes that one stage further, and to some degree the Motors / Motors T with the 30 second chrono (although that isn't that complicated to do).

I do find that I'm increasingly looking beyond Breitling for innovation - Bucherer, JLC, UN, Zenith.

You all know that I love the vintage pieces - and while they aren't common I can find all of these features (except the retrograde) in vintage Breitlings - heck they were producing rattrapante stop watches 75 years ago.

I do realise that to some people these are features that have niche appeal, but in the wide range of watches they produce, isn't their room for that? Every Oris has a DB, and yet Breitling seems afraid to produce a DB automatic, except for Japan - one of the last DBs they produced for the global market was a freaking mecha-quartz!!

Whenever Breitling has produced a rattrapante the model has been sought after by collectors, and yet we don't see them at all - it's been what 6 years or more since they sold one. They've never produced a retrograde, and I realise that it's slightly against tradition, but that's what the professional range is for - to be innovative (if we can even call a retrograde innovative these days).

Can you imagine the excitement on here if Breitling announced a minute repeater? Would everyone buy one, no - but I'd try damn hard to afford it, and they would sell out the production run and create a watch that collectors would seek out for a very long time - and that has to be good for the brand.

I am a very lucky man - I can afford to buy these luxury items at fairly regular intervals, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to find new pieces that appeal to me, and that's sad. I don't sell watches that I buy (except they were bought specifically to sell) so I will always have Breitlings in my collection, I'm just not sure if they will continue to dominate (at least with new pieces) in the years to come if Breitling doesn't give me something more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Eloquently put as ever Mr Roff.

You make some very true points that predominantly echo my own feelings too. (However, I still struggle to think that a retrograde is in keeping with the Breitling tradition and "look", but I'm sure they could get away with it in the Bentley series).

I like having different movements in my watches too - the pieces I own all house different movements (OK, so the B24 in the World is basically a B13 with a GMT module bolted on, but hey it's still different! :wink: ), and that's what I'd like to see more of. As we've both said, how about an auto Rattrapante? (Omega put one in a very reasonably priced Speedmaster a few years ago, so it doesn't have to be the more expensive B34 movement with the gold rotor). Or how about something as simple as a power-reserve register complication? Or even just a small seconds register like on the SOH38 but in something more "manly-sized", like Panerai make. Or maybe bring back the B39 movement from the Twin Sixty, or the B36 from the Spatiograph.... there's a lot to choose from, even if they were just put into LE's!

What I would HATE to see is Breitling decide to cut their cost base by simply dropping B13's into a variety of steel cases..... a trend which appears to have already started to a certain degree by the reduction in titanium models. (I don't even like titanium, but at least they give a broader range of models).

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Driver8 wrote:
What I would HATE to see is Breitling decide to cut their cost base by simply dropping B13's into a variety of steel cases..... a trend which appears to have already started to a certain degree by the reduction in titanium models. (I don't even like titanium, but at least they give a broader range of models).

I fully agree.

And I also agree it would be great to see more complicated models/version. For a minute repeater... I sold my minute repeater and 2 quarter repeaters a while ago - if Breitling comes up with one that would be interesting!