Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winding instructions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:58 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
New Breitling chrono superocean owner here. The manual says not to adjust the watch during the hours of 8pm - 3am or it may be damaged. Just curious as to why. Also I did not wear it for a few days and it stopped at 10pm so is it safe to just wind it and set it? The damage cluase in the manual has me worried. How long should the watch run after not wearing it? This last time it stopped after a little over 24 hours. I thought it would go at least a 2-3 days.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hi, As I understand it, the mechanical process that changes the date is set in motion around 8pm and finally completes around 3am. Therefore, by using the quickset date function during this time it may be possible to damage the movement (although I have changed it BY ACCIDENT on one of my watches in the past during these hours with apparently no ill effects). Personally if I find that an automatic watch stops between these hours I wind the time on manually until is is definitely after 3am and then push the crown back in a notch and change the date via the quickset function if required. It doesn't take too much effort and prevents any possible damage.

Power reserve varies from watch movement to watch movement, but most Breitling seem to be around 42 - 44 hours on a full wind. Chances are yours didn't get a full wind if it only went for 24hours. Breitling recommend 30 to 40 winds in their manuals but with most modern autos it's not possible to overwind them as they have a slipper clutch type of mechanism to prevent overwinding occurring.

PS - You most definitely CAN overwind manual-wind watches, so the above only applies to modern autos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Yeah miliz, Driver8's got it right.. its just the date that shouldn't be adjusted between 8pm and 3am... the time can be adjusted just fine.