Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Retrograde
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:00 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
So having spent the Canadian long weekend virtually spending more money that I don't have with the Zenith catalogue, it occurred to me that Breitling is still very traditional in some ways with their watches.

I know that's an odd thing to say about Breitling, but am I the only one who thinks that a few retrogrades would look good - especially on some of the larger faced watches?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:22 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
retrograde always work for me. i like the way they function. it is such a lovely sight to monitor :)

Time is precious, keep it with elegance!
-Alien13-

Post subject: Re: Retrograde
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Roffensian wrote:
So having spent the Canadian long weekend virtually spending more money that I don't have with the Zenith catalogue, it occurred to me that Breitling is still very traditional in some ways with their watches.

I know that's an odd thing to say about Breitling, but am I the only one who thinks that a few retrogrades would look good - especially on some of the larger faced watches?

Not sure about retrogrades, but I totally agree they are a little conservative on their choice of movements at times these days. While I adore Breitling, I've said a few times on here in the past that they currently seem to rely very heavily on the Breitling 13 and 17 calibres, and varients of them. If anything they are worse now than they used to be. For example, a few years ago they had a number of different movements, including fully automatic rattrapantes, the electro-mechanical calibre 69, the Twin Sixty models had interesting movements, the Breitling 36 in the Spatiographe, etc, etc.....

I'd love to see a fully auto rattrapante again, and at reasonable prices. Omega used a auto rattrapante movement in their Speedmaster Split Second to good effect and that wasn't stupidly expensive. I'm sure Breilting could lay their hands on that and other slightly more interesting movements once in a while.....

Site Moderator

Last edited by Driver8 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
OOPS, misread the post :oops: ignore this....

Last edited by Altair on Tue May 20, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Driver8 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

I totally agree. While I adore Breitling, I've said a few times on here in the past that they currently seem to rely very heavily on the Breitling 13 and 17 calibres, and varients of them. If anything they are worse now than they used to be. For example, a few years ago they had a number of different movements, including fully automatic rattrapantes, the electro-mechanical calibre 69, the Twin Sixty models had interesting movements, the Breitling 36 in the Spatiographe, etc, etc.....

I'd love to see a fully auto rattrapante again, and at reasonable prices. Omega used a auto rattrapante movement in their Speedmaster Split Second to good effect and that wasn't stupidly expensive. I'm sure Breilting could lay their hands on that and other slightly more interesting movements once in a while.....

Agreed - Retrogrades are front and centre of mind for me because of looking at Zenith (I've narrowed it down to half a dozen), but as I have mentioned, a colleague of mine got an Oris Artelier Complication for $1,400 taxes in - that has 4 subdials - moonphase, day, date and second time zone.

I'm not expecting Breitling to suddenly go crazy, but some creativity would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Roffensian wrote:
I'm not expecting Breitling to suddenly go crazy, but some creativity would be appreciated.

I agree, and to be honest I don't WANT them to go too "way out"! BUT I would like to see them bring back the odd slightly different movement from the past, or maybe bring out the odd new one here and there.

Even just producing a larger size piece with the Olympus or Datora movement would be nice......

But for me it's definitely an automatic rattrapante. Something like a 46mm to 48mm Chronomat look-a-like rattrapante would be something to drool over!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Driver8 wrote:
But for me it's definitely an automatic rattrapante. Something like a 46mm to 48mm Chronomat look-a-like rattrapante would be something to drool over!

Sign me up, and please tell me when they're in store...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
aleister wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

Sign me up, and please tell me when they're in store...

Me too.

I wonder if we get a big enough petition we can convince Breitling to do this! :D

Hey, maybe they even browse the forum occasionaly..... meh, doubt it. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

breitlingsource wrote:

Hey, maybe they even browse the forum occasionaly..... meh, doubt it. :(

Don't be so dismissive, it would clearly be in their interests to monitor the forum, I also post regularly on a Landrover Discovery forum and I know the men at solihull moniter it, hey, they even contribute on occasion

It would be great if an official factory person could give some input to the forum here, he'd need to be referred to as the oracle!

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

doctor diesel wrote:
It would be great if an official factory person could give some input to the forum here, he'd need to be referred to as the oracle!

I think Thomas (Alien) is the closest we've got an "inside man" so far!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Driver8 wrote:
doctor diesel wrote:

As long as we see a Full Ling sized, Windrider Series, Exhibition Back, Rattrapante with a retrograde power reserve I don't care who's listening :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Roffensian wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
doctor diesel wrote:

As long as we see a Full Ling sized, Windrider Series, Exhibition Back, Rattrapante with a retrograde power reserve I don't care who's listening :wink:

Abso....bloody...lutely! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I have to admit, I am pretty much devoted to the Breitling style. While everyone else is doing the retrograde thing, they are still sticking to the old traditions. Personally, it was a big step for me to even go to a watch such as the Blacksteel, with any complications at all. I think that the Breitling 13 is about as complicated as I would like to go.
I would really like it if Breitling would make one very simple model, white dial with numbers and not even a calendar, that would resemble the clock in the Bentley. I could go for that!
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

carlhaluss wrote:
I have to admit, I am pretty much devoted to the Breitling style. While everyone else is doing the retrograde thing, they are still sticking to the old traditions. Personally, it was a big step for me to even go to a watch such as the Blacksteel, with any complications at all. I think that the Breitling 13 is about as complicated as I would like to go.
I would really like it if Breitling would make one very simple model, white dial with numbers and not even a calendar, that would resemble the clock in the Bentley. I could go for that!
Cheers,
Carl

I think the nearest you can currently get to that is the 46mm SOH, Carl. Have you tried one on? I quite like them for a simple looking piece.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

All good comments and thoughts. :) I agree with the Doc-it would be nice to have a guru from Breitling on the forum. But I suspect it is not gonna happen :lol: My guess is that they most likely monitor the forum as a source of info on a variety of issues. Enjoy the day :D