The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Quote:
I guess I'm in the minority but i really like the 3 handed TransOcean.

+1

Yes it is plain but I still think its got class. Would be very nice with non-chrono, inhouse movement and display back. Dunno, but I think Breitling will miss a trick if they don't wholeheartedly embrace display back options across the board for all non-diver watches with in-house movements. To see the movement is such a nice feature for any high-end watch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
Roffensian wrote:
sharkman wrote:
Look, i know this is strictly a matter of opinion and personal taste, but for me Breitlings are no longer on the possible buy list. They did precisely what I had hoped they would not do. They lost one customer for certain.

I agree.

Taste is a very personal thing, and new designs can grow on people (just ask Driver8), but I have already seen a bunch of new watches that I would like from Basel 2011 (have you seen this year's Type XXII), but there is nothing in the current Breitling range that appeals. I'm very happy with my Navitimer 01, but there's nothing even close to my radar screen at the moment.

I agree with Shark's comment 100%. There no longer is a CURRENT Breitling that I want to have in my collection, and that's really sad. I used to think that it was possible for my entire collection to consist of nothing but Breitlings, now I am having a hard time deciding if I am going to have ANY Breitlings in it. I don't know who they are targeting, but it seems to me that it is young buyers who don't currently own a Breitling...or maybe the Asian buyer. Are these styles popular in Asia??? I know that a larger percentage of watches being purchased over the last couple of years has been from the Asian markets...maybe they are designing their newer models to cater to these individuals.

The problem is that I want Breitling to be something that they just aren't...and I realize that now. I'm with Sharkie...they have lost a customer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
ike wrote:
Looks like Breitlings product strategy is to sell fashion accessories rather than "instrument for professionals". What a joke most of these garish, tasteless, train wrecks of watches they have brought out. Most of them fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Several exceptions, the Transocean 01, Navi 01, and Monti 01. For those who say the TO doesn't look like a Breitling should, ironically they look like Breitlings did when Breitlings bore the bosses name. More of a true Breitling IMHO than much of the other revolting c**p. Still, there's no accounting for taste I suppose. Shoot me down but I love the the Heritage and TO range - understated and classy. Looking forward to my TO 01 LE arriving.

For the most part I totally agree with you, although I personally think the non-chrono TO is just too dull - yes I know it's extremely retro and true to Breitling's roots, but frankly it should've stayed buried like most roots should IMO! Now, the chrono TO on the other hand is a very nice looking piece that successfully brifges the gap of retro and modern. There is no doubt that the retro styled models are a great success all round.

That said, I slightly disagree with you where you basically say there is nothing of merit in the new stuff. Obviously (as you rightly say) taste is a very personal and subjective thing, but a brand has to move forward to a certain extent or else they just rehash the past over and over again........ and as much as I like the Navi 01, the Monty 01 (apart from the size), the TO 01, etc, they are still essentially carbon copies of the past. That in itself is fine, but there needs to be new stuff as well. While the Chronomat 01 and the GMT 04 are not to everyone's taste (and it's purely because of the bezel in most cases), they are at least pushing Breitling's designs forward.... perhaps too radically for some, but ultimately the styling cues of Breitlings made in the last 10 to 15 years are still there in these models. i.e. great legibility/contrast on the dial, chronograph functionality, uni-directional bezel with a pearl, rider tabs (albeit with a shaved down profile), the Windrider style crown, the Pilot bracelet, etc. Aside from the bezel font, I think very few fans of Breitlings over the last 10 years or so would have a problem with the Chronomat 01.

So again, I personally believe all the current in-house stuff, and the retro-styled pieces, are successes in their own right. It's just all the latest non-in-house stuff that looks like it was thrown together without any thought of coherance, class or style. (IMHO of course!)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 4 posts
my god what is this??? ugly watches, 2 years since a really nice and great breitling watch, last year was disappointing and this year even worse...;(

what about the new emergency??

breitling is becoming a nonsense :guns:

Omega Planet Ocean Chrono 9300 Co-axial Ceramic on SS bracelet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:11 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
Driver8 wrote:
So again, I personally believe all the current in-house stuff, and the retro-styled pieces, are successes in their own right. It's just all the latest non-in-house stuff that looks like it was thrown together without any thought of coherance, class or style. (IMHO of course!)

That perfectly sums up the way I feel about Breitling's current line-up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:16 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
Daytona

Cerachrome

The entire R&D department should be indicted for murdering the brand.

I really do believe that Breitling will wind up selling to a conglomerate within the next few years, possibly sooner. The last two years' efforts show a distinct lack of inspiration and direction, which tends to be the first symptom of corporate degredation. I know for a fact that in the US the B01 and the entire Bentley line is not selling well, so I have to believe the company is in some sort of financial straits, unless Asia is totally kicking @ss. However they're non-public and I don't have any reliable financial info so who really knows.

Here's what I'm curious about: Breitling is NOT dropping the price on ANY of their timepieces; as has been well chronicled, the prices continue to rise. So they have basically eviscerated the brand equity and loyalty but are still aiming to sell their timepieces to the same income bracket that voted in the affirmative with their wallets on prior designs. Why change what was working? Could they not simply have dropped the 01/04 movements into a revised Chronomat case, kept the bezel and been done with it? In my humble opinion this sets the land speed record for Corporate Arrogance.

An earlier poster expressed the sentiment that Breitling must have conducted market research and determined that their customer base wanted larger watches. Okay, but how did they determine their customer base would like the god awful bezel and stupid, cheap-@ss rubber inserts????? Who do they think is gonna buy this cr*p? It's not most of the people on this board, who I assume have sufficient disposable income to throw at for example a B01. Are they aiming at the younger set? Young people are busted @ss broke, moreso now than in the past 20-30 years. Not that Rolex needed the customers but I think the practical effect of this "redesign" was to drive Breitling's existing customer base over to Rolex/JLC/Omega and possibly, yes, possibly TAG-HUER.

I apologize for the rant. I'm just incredibly frustrated. I very much was looking forward to purchasing a few models with the in-house movement and continuing my relationship with the company. But that is now off the table until further notice, if ever.

And I've been averaging 2 Breitlings per year for the past 4 years so if Breitling is reading this board, I am walking the talk.

I am a very, very p*ssed off (at this stage) ex customer.

:guns:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 8 posts
Without focusing on the negative, I will say that generally speaking, I like this new line up more than the past few years. I love the Chronomat GMT, the Navi 01, Monti 01, and the Chronospace auto. The SOC44mm is nice, but I don't like any of the rubber bezels. Not sure why they did the 41mm chronomat or 42mm SOH.

As usual, everyone will not be happy. Personally, I think the company has listened to it's customer base and tried to please us, by making the Superocean larger for example. To each his own, but I am still very happy with the brand, hence why I'm here. :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:10 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

46crew wrote:
Without focusing on the negative, I will say that generally speaking, I like this new line up more than the past few years. I love the Chronomat GMT, the Navi 01, Monti 01, and the Chronospace auto. The SOC44mm is nice, but I don't like any of the rubber bezels. Not sure why they did the 41mm chronomat or 42mm SOH.

As usual, everyone will not be happy. Personally, I think the company has listened to it's customer base and tried to please us, by making the Superocean larger for example. To each his own, but I am still very happy with the brand, hence why I'm here. :lingsrock:

I actually think the 42mm SOH is one of the better moves that they've made. When you have one at 38mm(?) and another at 46mm that pretty much eliminates a lot of people who want a good sized watch that doesn't look like a dinner plate. They do still have some nice models, the Flying Fish as I've said before is just an outstanding version of the B01 and there are others that I'd happily own but there a good number of models that are either LE's or replacements of classics that just don't seem to make sense, but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

For all of you who are freaking out that the new SO doesn't have a lume dot or pip...I must say dive computers are pretty much the standard these days and dive watches aren't as necessary as they once were.

With that said, would it kill Breitling to put a dot at 12?

Corum Admiral's Cup
Rolex Sub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:03 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Biz wrote:
For all of you who are freaking out that the new SO doesn't have a lume dot or pip...I must say dive computers are pretty much the standard these days and dive watches aren't as necessary as they once were.

With that said, would it kill Breitling to put a dot at 12?

Well yes, no sane diver would ever trust his safety entirely to just a wristwatch these days so the need for a pearl is not so vital, but it's nevertheless a good backup and the lume is simply expected on a professional divers watch, much like a unidirectional bezel. As with anything safety based it's better to have it and not need it, than need it an not have it. The SO is now a fashion watch.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:05 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Driver8 wrote:
That said, I slightly disagree with you where you basically say there is nothing of merit in the new stuff. Obviously (as you rightly say) taste is a very personal and subjective thing, but a brand has to move forward to a certain extent or else they just rehash the past over and over again........ and as much as I like the Navi 01, the Monty 01 (apart from the size), the TO 01, etc, they are still essentially carbon copies of the past. That in itself is fine, but there needs to be new stuff as well. While the Chronomat 01 and the GMT 04 are not to everyone's taste (and it's purely because of the bezel in most cases), they are at least pushing Breitling's designs forward.... perhaps too radically for some, but ultimately the styling cues of Breitlings made in the last 10 to 15 years are still there in these models. i.e. great legibility/contrast on the dial, chronograph functionality, uni-directional bezel with a pearl, rider tabs (albeit with a shaved down profile), the Windrider style crown, the Pilot bracelet, etc. Aside from the bezel font, I think very few fans of Breitlings over the last 10 years or so would have a problem with the Chronomat 01.

I totally agree with you D8 concerning models with 01 or 04 movement. And you should know by now that I do like the "Buck Rogers" bezel. :wink:

On the other side of the range however, look what they did to our beloved Steelfish, Colt or BB. And Martini maybe be right on Breitling. I see no luxury in those models.

I am sure glad to have gotten mine before this mess.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:00 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I am pleased there are some here who really like the overall flow of the new releases. I am pleased there are some here who really like certain releases. I am always pleased when anyone admires and then enjoys owning a watch – whether I think the watch is awesome or….otherwise. My personal opinion does not and should not influence anyone (except hopefully my daughter from time to time).

I used to “get” the Breitling lineup. It flowed with depth and substance. IT MADE SENSE to me. But it doesn’t make sense to me anymore. My personal opinion is Breitling is moving in a direction that is schizophrenic. My watch dollars are MY watch dollars and I cannot spend them on a brand that has made a sweeping and fundamental design shift with which I do not agree.

On the one hand, the SOH42 seems a good idea. On the other hand, the rest of the new lineup leaves me bewildered….and a bit pissed off if I am to be completely honest here. In terms of styling cues IMO, whether in-house or the rest of the general abominations, there is nothing there. Breitling has abandoned coherence and direction. Example – why bother to keep a “suggestion” of the rider tabs on the Buck Rogers bezel? I find it farcical. Machine some damn grip into the bezel edge and just get on with it!

What attracted me to the brand and made sense to me no longer exists. And that is not an overstatement – every element of the brand that pleased me has been obliterated in the last two years. I don’t know WHO Breitling’s target market is and at this point do not care. I just know that market is not me, though I will continue for years to enjoy the few Breitlings I still have.

I sincerely hope my comments do not offend anyone here who is mostly enamored of the new lineup. That is neither my intent nor should you care or be influenced by my views or the views of anyone else. Taste is an entirely personal matter. It is not subject to debate or disagreement. It just is. And it changes over time individually and collectively.

When it comes to consumerism , we vote with our dollars, pounds, marks, etc… I shall not cast any additional votes for Breitling.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:04 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Jesus sharky. You getting ready for court? :poke:

Nicely stated though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:14 am 

Liked in: 33 posts
roman4405 wrote:
Jesus sharky. You getting ready for court? :poke:

Nicely stated though.

Court? Not today anyway. Not much chance of Reno now either. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:22 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Where is the Emergency? :bow: :bow:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next