The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:36 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Biz wrote:
For all of you who are freaking out that the new SO doesn't have a lume dot or pip...I must say dive computers are pretty much the standard these days and dive watches aren't as necessary as they once were.

With that said, would it kill Breitling to put a dot at 12?

Well yes, no sane diver would ever trust his safety entirely to just a wristwatch these days so the need for a pearl is not so vital, but it's nevertheless a good backup and the lume is simply expected on a professional divers watch, much like a unidirectional bezel. As with anything safety based it's better to have it and not need it, than need it an not have it. The SO is now a fashion watch.

This can't be called a Diver's watch - it fails the ISO 6425 standard which states that "the set time of the time pre-selecting device" (the unidirectional bezel) "shall be legible from a distance of 25cm (9.8in) in the dark".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 4 posts
breitlings ass will be saved next year whit an amazing blackbird 01, a new mindblowing emergency and of course the Super avenger 01. :drool: :drool: :bow:

or not heheheh

:superman:

Omega Planet Ocean Chrono 9300 Co-axial Ceramic on SS bracelet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 8 posts
CometMan wrote:
breitlings ass will be saved next year whit an amazing blackbird 01, a new mindblowing emergency and of course the Super avenger 01. :drool: :drool: :bow:

or not heheheh

:yeahthat I would be stoked for any of those releases. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
Biz wrote:
For all of you who are freaking out that the new SO doesn't have a lume dot or pip...I must say dive computers are pretty much the standard these days and dive watches aren't as necessary as they once were.

With that said, would it kill Breitling to put a dot at 12?

Well yes, no sane diver would ever trust his safety entirely to just a wristwatch these days so the need for a pearl is not so vital, but it's nevertheless a good backup and the lume is simply expected on a professional divers watch, much like a unidirectional bezel. As with anything safety based it's better to have it and not need it, than need it an not have it. The SO is now a fashion watch.

This can't be called a Diver's watch - it fails the ISO 6425 standard which states that "the set time of the time pre-selecting device" (the unidirectional bezel) "shall be legible from a distance of 25cm (9.8in) in the dark".

Good point Roff! :lol:

Here's a new tag-line for Breitling, "The New Breitling SuperOcean Series : An Instrument For Diving Professionals Provided You Don't Actually Want To Use It For Diving, Professionally Or Otherwise"

CometMan wrote:
breitlings ass will be saved next year whit an amazing blackbird 01, a new mindblowing emergency and of course the Super avenger 01.

or not heheheh

or not heheheh

Ever the optimist, I actually think the new Blackbird (if and when it arrives) might actually be very nice. I'm guessing it'll basically be a fully black dial in a brushed Chronomat 01 case with the compass bezel from the *ahem* "new" Galactic Chronograph II, and maybe a big date complication on the B01 platform. Personally I reckon that will look great, but then again Breitling are swiftly gaining a reputation (here at least) of ballsing-up the un-balls-up-able!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
If you want to know the target market - take a look-see at the Breitling forums on WUS and TZ - unfettered praise for the whole lineup! Of course one of those sites will delete anything negative said about any brand. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 0 post
sharkman wrote:
If you want to know the target market - take a look-see at the Breitling forums on WUS and TZ - unfettered praise for the whole lineup! Of course one of those sites will delete anything negative said about any brand. Just sayin'.

One of the main reasons I choose the SOurce for my watch forum is the broad range of opinions, and no sweeping acceptance of all the models.

I can see where everyone feels disappointed, but since I am on a one watch per year budget, Breitling only has to go 1 for X to keep me interested. The Chrono Transocean is that watch.

had breitling held their load and dropped all the new 01 models at once, and never ventured into a few of the new models I think we would be singing a different tune.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:52 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
sharkman wrote:
Of course one of those sites will delete anything negative said about any brand. Just sayin'.

I was wondering what happened with your post on the Bell & Ross forum regarding your recent purchase went.

The thing that just doesn't make sense to me with these new releases is why discontinue the Steelfish? If you put the Steelfish in the mix with these new releases, odds are that would be most of ours first choice. The GMT SO has the same patterned dial as the Colt GMT+ so like someone already mentioned, those must be leftovers. The Chrono Galactic is still the funniest of all releases. Throw the new font style 360 degree bezel on the older chronomat and give it a new name. I think that's even worse than the red Skyracer. The Flying Fish is nice, but I don't think they'll offer it on a bracelet. Given the choice though, I'd still go with the Chronomat 01 LE with the display back.

I had hoped something great would come out this year, and I still really, really like the Transocean Chrono Limited Edition, but my watch plans are the same as they were before Basel and the wait for my Deepsea is going to be a long one, but well worth it.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:03 am 

Quote:
I was wondering what happened with your post on the Bell & Ross forum regarding your recent purchase went.

Oh you saw that one, eh? Yeah I was threatened with banishment after posting documentation proving I wasn't tripping on acid or just lying. I essentially told the guy to do it - he deleted the thread instead. I subsequently discovered an entire website devoted to this guys victims of silent excommunication. Pretty funny. Oddly, I didn't diss B&R one bit. (And I copied the thread to Word before the cretin deleted it.) Tee-hee.

Back to topic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:51 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
thomasenlow1 wrote:
had breitling held their load and dropped all the new 01 models at once, and never ventured into a few of the new models I think we would be singing a different tune.

I think that might have been the case as well.

My final thoughts on the latest line-up (otherwise this thread could go on forever :strummin: ).
1) pieces I like - but too large for me practically:
- chronomat 'flying fish'
- SO 44
- SO chrono II (in the right color combo)
- chronospace automatic

2) pieces I like that could be possible purchases:
- Navi. 01
- chronomat 41
- SOH 42

The End.
(p.s. - sorry to hear Shark... is giving up, guess this means no chance of him receiving another pair of pink boxers he would be willing to sell :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

With all the love the new lineup is getting I am feeling optimistic about the resale value of the older lineup...

Breitling - Chrono SuperOcean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 pm 

Quote:
(p.s. - sorry to hear Shark... is giving up, guess this means no chance of him receiving another pair of pink boxers he would be willing to sell )

The full size Swiss Army knife arrived today. The perfect instrument for professionals about to commit brand hari kari. Oh the irony.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I think people are really overreacting here. Besides Sharkman, how many people here were really planning on buying more than a couple of Breitlings in the near future? Like ive said before, there are some serious duds in the lineup, but there are some seriously nice pieces as well. The good news is that we only need to like one or two of the models. Rolex has some butt-ugly models, so we all just buy our Subs and GMTs and move on. No need to panic just because they make some other ugly ass, boring models. I think Omega has some of the ugliest and least innovative watches around, but that wont stop me from buying a PO. Same can be said for almost any watch brand out there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 pm 

RJRJRJ wrote:
I think people are really overreacting here. Besides Sharkman, how many people here were really planning on buying more than a couple of Breitlings in the near future? Like ive said before, there are some serious duds in the lineup, but there are some seriously nice pieces as well. The good news is that we only need to like one or two of the models. Rolex has some butt-ugly models, so we all just buy our Subs and GMTs and move on. No need to panic just because they make some other ugly ass, boring models. I think Omega has some of the ugliest and least innovative watches around, but that wont stop me from buying a PO. Same can be said for almost any watch brand out there.

But Rolex has always had those butt ugly models. Breitling had a top to bottom lineup that was quite amazing IMO. I can't say that any longer. It is the direction the brand is going that turns me off. That is important, to me anyway. But again, this is purely my subjective view, which is all that matters. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
RJRJRJ wrote:
I think people are really overreacting here.

Yeah but huge overreaction is all part of a Breitling Baselworld event, RJ! You've been here long enough to know that by now! :wink: :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:10 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

RJRJRJ wrote:
I think people are really overreacting here. Besides Sharkman, how many people here were really planning on buying more than a couple of Breitlings in the near future?

I bought two this morning.

The new Blackbird will have a pink dial, yellow hands and diamond markers. The bezel will be made out of lego (small piece of style here) the font will be "Doris Stokes Medium" (typographic joke) the font will be etched in in Marmite.

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next