The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:27 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
sharkman wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:
I think people are really overreacting here. Besides Sharkman, how many people here were really planning on buying more than a couple of Breitlings in the near future? Like ive said before, there are some serious duds in the lineup, but there are some seriously nice pieces as well. The good news is that we only need to like one or two of the models. Rolex has some butt-ugly models, so we all just buy our Subs and GMTs and move on. No need to panic just because they make some other ugly ass, boring models. I think Omega has some of the ugliest and least innovative watches around, but that wont stop me from buying a PO. Same can be said for almost any watch brand out there.

But Rolex has always had those butt ugly models. Breitling had a top to bottom lineup that was quite amazing IMO. I can't say that any longer. It is the direction the brand is going that turns me off.

:yeahthat Besides, at least Rolex has the Sub and GMT. How would we feel if they discontinued them in favor of new butt-ugly models? That's what I see happening with Breitling. It's not just that Breitling is introducing new-butt ugly models; it's that they're doing so while discontinuing, or severely altering, watches that a lot of us consider classics of the brand.

And that argument right there gets the "Charlie Sheen Winning Award," because it truly is the winning argument. To me Breitling's "version" of the Rolex professioinal series - Sub, GMT, Explorer, etc - WAS the Superocean series and at a much more accessible price. They wiped out all semblence to the Superocean line - obliterated it. In it's stead are 3 unrecognizable watches. The superocean series, more than any other, was my favorite range. It no longer exits.

Last edited by sharkman on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Not been smart sharkman, but, If i am not mistaken you bought the SO II a while back. Why so.

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00 am 

breanach78 wrote:
Not been smart sharkman, but, If i am not mistaken you bought the SO II a while back. Why so.

Had I known it's style was about to take over the entire series, I likely wouldn't have. Indeed when I bought it I didn't even realize the original Superocean was being discontinued. I considered it a singular fanciful offering by Breitling. In that context it was fine. Had I known it was a harbinger of the end of the Superocean series as I knew it, I would have viewed that watch much differently. And I do view it thusly now. Therefore, it is no longer in my collection as of yesterday.

I wish to reiterate what I have said all thoughout this thread - I am merely stating my personal opinion as a function of my personal taste. I am not challenging or trying to insult anyone who feels differently. I do not like the direction Breitling is going and personally do not like a single remaining offering in their lineup. Maybe if they put what I considered a proper bracelet on the Transocean or maybe if they lowered the price on the Navi 01, but only if I was confident the 01 issues had been ironed out. But as the offerings and prices exist today, there is not one watch I am considering.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I have slept on these for a while and came back to see if I feel any differently - and I don't. That is personal taste and it can never be 'right' or 'wrong'. What I don't understand, and isn't simply personal taste, is the overall direction.

The Swiss watch industry saw a huge bounce in 2010, for the industry as a whole I think it was the second best year ever (after 2008) which is incredible considering how bad 2009 was with the global recession. However, the bounce was very market specific - to generalize slightly Europe and North America remained weak while Asia bounced strongly.

That has resulted in an increased focus on the demands of the Asian market - one of the most obvious examples being the move to smaller, thinner watches from a large number of companies (heck even Richard Mille introduced an ultra thin model in January). If you read or listen to interviews with c-level executives from any of the major companies they will tell you that they are increasing their focus on the Asian market because they have seen a significant uptake in business - especialy in China, and India is not far behind in terms of % growth.

Now maybe Breitling is introducing models that it believes will do well in Asian markets, but their direction is at complete odds with just about every other manufacturer which means that either they are way ahead of the curve, or they have missed the mark entirely - I'm sure that we all have our views of which it is.

None of us want to see Breitling copy other brands, but there should be a reasonable expectation of acknowledging and responding to market trends, especially when it is such a large and growing part of their demographic.

Regardless of what I, or anyone else, thinks of a specific design, that is what concerns me most about the brand that I love.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
I've been looking over the new models again. WTF is going on with the new Windrider models? We've already hashed out the Chronomat GMT. So now there's a new 41mm Chronomat, which I would actually like except that it's still got the Buck Rogers bezel and the busy, square-pattern dial. No thanks. Then there's the Chrono Galactic II. That one really rubs salt in the wounds. They brought back the bullseye dial, which is actually a good thing, except...the damn bezel STILL has the Buck Rogers font, and what's worse, it's a Blackbird-esque compass bezel. It's like Breitling has deliberately taken certain elements from beloved past models, and transmogrified them into a mean-spirited kick in the nuts to those who actually liked them. I guess Breitling is determined to Buckify all Chronomats, no matter how unprofessional it makes those instruments.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:49 pm 

JacksonStone wrote:
I've been looking over the new models again. WTF is going on with the new Windrider models? We've already hashed out the Chronomat GMT. So now there's a new 41mm Chronomat, which I would actually like except that it's still got the Buck Rogers bezel and the busy, square-pattern dial. No thanks. Then there's the Chrono Galactic II. That one really rubs salt in the wounds. They brought back the bullseye dial, which is actually a good thing, except...the damn bezel STILL has the Buck Rogers font, and what's worse, it's a Blackbird-esque compass bezel. It's like Breitling has deliberately taken certain elements from beloved past models, and transmogrified them into a mean-spirited kick in the nuts to those who actually liked them. I guess Breitling is determined to Buckify all Chronomats, no matter how unprofessional it makes those instruments.

The design team is channeling Franz Kafka, I am certain of it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
The chronomat GMT is a surprise, I still don't like the design changes but that might grow on me.still, it will be something I will have to work at. Now the Superocean GMT is an easy hit for me, I actually think that looks great and is very functional as a vacation watch with the GMT and water rating! The bezel font seems off but not so much as to turn me off. I know that will be my next Breitling!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:28 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
I've been looking over the new models again. WTF is going on with the new Windrider models? We've already hashed out the Chronomat GMT. So now there's a new 41mm Chronomat, which I would actually like except that it's still got the Buck Rogers bezel and the busy, square-pattern dial. No thanks. Then there's the Chrono Galactic II.

According to another source, your Windrider range is dead, the four 'ranges' have been replaced with 10-11 new 'lines'. Chronomat is a new line as is Galactic. Are we confused yet? :huh . Hopefully there will be additional info. on this to come.

I think the new bezels are here to stay for a while, both the Buck R. and the rubber.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:34 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Altair wrote:
Now the Superocean GMT is an easy hit for me, I actually think that looks great and is very functional as a vacation watch with the GMT and water rating! The bezel font seems off but not so much as to turn me off. I know that will be my next Breitling!

I agree, this new dial is actually pretty nice, and you get an extra time zone. The thing I don't like is the lug design which will limit strap options. But for a water watch one would use the rubber as supplied.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:00 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Roffensian wrote:
I have slept on these for a while and came back to see if I feel any differently - and I don't. That is personal taste and it can never be 'right' or 'wrong'. What I don't understand, and isn't simply personal taste, is the overall direction.

The Swiss watch industry saw a huge bounce in 2010, for the industry as a whole I think it was the second best year ever (after 2008) which is incredible considering how bad 2009 was with the global recession. However, the bounce was very market specific - to generalize slightly Europe and North America remained weak while Asia bounced strongly.

That has resulted in an increased focus on the demands of the Asian market - one of the most obvious examples being the move to smaller, thinner watches from a large number of companies (heck even Richard Mille introduced an ultra thin model in January). If you read or listen to interviews with c-level executives from any of the major companies they will tell you that they are increasing their focus on the Asian market because they have seen a significant uptake in business - especialy in China, and India is not far behind in terms of % growth.

Now maybe Breitling is introducing models that it believes will do well in Asian markets, but their direction is at complete odds with just about every other manufacturer which means that either they are way ahead of the curve, or they have missed the mark entirely - I'm sure that we all have our views of which it is.

None of us want to see Breitling copy other brands, but there should be a reasonable expectation of acknowledging and responding to market trends, especially when it is such a large and growing part of their demographic.

Regardless of what I, or anyone else, thinks of a specific design, that is what concerns me most about the brand that I love.

I think you may have it. Hence my question about the end of the big watch.

They may be ahead of the curve indeed (I am staying 'behind')

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 pm 

Quote:
I think the new bezels are here to stay for a while, both the Buck R. and the rubber.

Indeed and the source of my spring of discontent.

Today I purchased a "proper Breitling" for which Breitling SA and BUSA have long since been paid. Might as well get one while they exist. It was in essence my version of a revenge ####. Felt good too. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 3 posts
sharkman wrote:
Quote:

Indeed and the source of my spring of discontent.

Today I purchased a "proper Breitling" for which Breitling SA and BUSA have long since been paid. Might as well get one while they exist. It was in essence my version of a revenge ####. Felt good too. :twisted:

what ya get?

anyone else notice this? right now, breitling has 68 current models of head, doesnt cont diffferent metals and options.

then they release 11 and discontinue what...3? how many models are they gonna have?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I can't access the website on my iPad and I'm traveling, can someone confirm the size of the new super ocean gmt? Also what is the bezel made of?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:09 am 

Altair wrote:
I can't access the website on my iPad and I'm traveling, can someone confirm the size of the new super ocean gmt? Also what is the bezel made of?

41mm. It is the Colt GMT+ case, same base dial as the Colt, added Superoecean II markings at 6/9/12, rubber bezel insert, and what seems to be an integrated rubber over steel bracelet replacing the integrated Pro II SS on the Colt GMT + .

They could not give away the Colt GMT+'s with the integrated bracelets and odd bezel. It was DOA. So they have simply added rubber. (which for some of us here might seem a prudent prophylactic for what the new target market will be "dancing" with)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
In the first link on page one Breitling website had all the new models now its only showing 4..Navi 01, Navi 1461, Chronomat 41 and Chronomat GMT....

Why So?

Is it April 1st :lol: ...

A Few Breitlings.

Last edited by breanach78 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next