The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi there, I'm planning to buy my first breitling watch ^^ I don't know where to buy it. I lived in seattle and Ben Bridge is one of the authorized dealer of breitling. However the watch that I wanted was sold for 7k. When I browsed it on amazon, it's only sold for 5k (the seller is amazon.com not some random third party dealer). it's 2k difference! my only concern is that, in case I bought my watch from amazon.com, do you think it's possible to service my watch on ben bridge or any authorized dealer? because that watch is an automatic watch. In my exp w/ my omega deville and tag g.c, they require services every 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:01 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I would double check with your local AD or from one of our sponsoring ADs here before buying from Amazon or any other online dealers. You can usually get as good a deal or better plus you'll get the factory warranty.

R/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
As long as the watch has the serial number intact then it can be serviced byBreitling, but as rebel_1 says, if you don't buy from an AD then you have no factory warranty, and if you shop around you will find pricing close - contact the two US based AD sponsors for a start. Contact jnelson3097 for details of Govbergs in PA and FEAR for Provident in FL.

Breitlings need servicing every 5 - 7 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:33 am 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/graymarket.shtml

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:37 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
If the prices you're quoting are accurate, Amazon is selling for 28% off list. Standard AD discounts are typically around 20% or so, although some dealers might be able to discount more; so you may or may not be able to find an AD who can beat Amazon. However, at 20% off list, then you're only talking a difference of $600, rather than $2000, plus you get the factory warranty by going with the AD. Definitely call around first.

Also, if you do think you want to go through Amazon, you would be well advised to make sure the watch being sold to you has its serial number intact. As Roff indicated, if the watch has had the serial number removed, Breitling will refuse to service it, and may actually regard it as stolen, thus refusing to return it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:20 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

actually it's 27%off (just to be exact) haha

This is an actual quote from amazon.com
"In order to have coverage under this warranty, the serial number imprinted on the Watch casing must be clearly legible, and no part of the original Watch back or original serial number has been removed, changed, altered, replaced, erased or defaced." and btw the warranty is the amazon's warranty. So I thought they should have the serial number intact.

guys... just wonder how tough navitimer is? i've tried omega seamaster and it broke after 12 years, and i think about buying a tougher watch... any suggestion? I've tried pro trek and it's sucks.

fyi: i love mountaineering and diving, so I need some sort of "tough and sporty" watches.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:44 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

nicksto wrote:
actually it's 27%off (just to be exact) haha

I was basing 28% on the figures you provided: $2000 is 28.57% of $7000. I would imagine, though, the figures you provided are approximations anyway.

nicksto wrote:
and btw the warranty is the amazon's warranty. So I thought they should have the serial number intact.

It sounds like the serial number will be intact, so you're safe there. You'll still go without a factory warranty, though. As far as I'm concerned, non-factory seller warranties are worthless, because you never know who will be performing the repairs. Odds are extremely good it won't be a Breitling-authorized technician doing the work.

nicksto wrote:
i've tried omega seamaster and it broke after 12 years, and i think about buying a tougher watch...

In what way did it "break"?

nicksto wrote:
fyi: i love mountaineering and diving, so I need some sort of "tough and sporty" watches.

My honest opinion is that, for those activities, you would be better off using a G-Shock or something similar, and saving the nicer watches for less abusive circumstances. Regardless, though, I certainly would not recommend a Navitimer for that kind of use. For one, Navis do not have suitable water resistance for swimming, let alone diving; they should not be used in the water. Two, while they are certainly hardy enough for wearing under "normal" circumstances (read: at the office, around the house, out to dinner, etc.), they aren't the most rugged watches, and won't be suitable for more demanding physical activities. If that's really what you want to use the watch for, you would be better off looking at a different model.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:58 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
nicksto wrote:
i've tried omega seamaster and it broke after 12 years, and i think about buying a tougher watch... any suggestion?

Have you had it serviced during those 12 years?
Mechanical watch requires service every 6-7 years at least to keep it in good condition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
nicksto wrote:
and btw the warranty is the amazon's warranty. So I thought they should have the serial number intact.

It sounds like the serial number will be intact, so you're safe there. You'll still go without a factory warranty, though. As far as I'm concerned, non-factory seller warranties are worthless, because you never know who will be performing the repairs. Odds are extremely good it won't be a Breitling-authorized technician doing the work.

Exception to that would be a replacement warranty. If that's the case then it's OK, for repairs a non factory warranty is just asking for trouble because if a repair claim is made under it then the watch will have non Brteitling parts used which means that Breitling will either never touch it, or will charge a huge amount more to restore it to original. It could also never be (honestly) sold as a Breitling after that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:14 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
27% and no Breitling warranty? No way. I would be looking for an AD that offers 25% discount with Breitling worldwide warranty. Heck, I would probably even settle on 20% discount in return for a 2 year piece of mind, even more so if we are talking about a watch with an in house movement with a 5 year Breitling warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

If there's no rush to market (purchase), we'll be entering
the multi-holiday madness before long, & there will be sales
all over, including AD's. Or, wait until Jan., 2013 for more
after the lunacy sales that could yield leftovers with prices
possibly lower than the pre-holiday offers. (Crapshoot city.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:58 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Roffensian wrote:
Exception to that would be a replacement warranty.

Good point. I know Costco offers a replacement warranty; I don't know about Amazon.

Edit: Actually, Costco's warranty isn't really a "replacement" warranty. It's a refund warranty. If something goes wrong with the watch in the first three years, you can just return it for a full refund. You could then just buy a new watch. An actual replacement would be subject to availability and price. It's not a bad deal, unless you've grown attached to your watch and really do want to keep it. If so, you're looking at paying for your own repairs.