Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:49 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hello,

I was visiting the rolex forums http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=15384
and several people there (rolex biased I'm sure :? ) indicated that a Ling will have a pitifully low resale value. Not that I would ever give up my evo, but has anyone had any direct experience that contradicts this? Maybe we all need to go over and set them straight? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:42 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Chronomatter,

That is wrong info. Naviman bought a Chronomat in 2003 used for $2500. He sold it this year for $1700 to a watch dealer who in turn sold it again for $2500. I would say that wearing a 2 tone gold and stainless Chronomat for 4 years and then selling it and having it come down to a total cost of $800 is very good.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Chronomatter,

You can always sell a used Breitling to any jeweler. The jewelers down here cannot get enough of them. The resale value of Lings are great. My uncle just wrote in about my resale of my Chronomat. It cost me $800 to wear the thing for almost 4 years. See if any Rolex guys can say that(don't think so). All my friends who wear Rolex are always asking me what time it is haha! Every watchmaker I have ever asked about them always say they are over priced garbage. I personally like the submariner and the Daytona but compared to a Ling there is no comparison in my opinion. I just laugh when I am standing next to a guy with a Rolex(they just stare at my Ling and realize how bad they got ripped of lol). Breitlings are some of the best watches out there and best looking as well and priced right. I would not have any hesitation about buying one at all. Good luck with your purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Rolex guys will always say that.. its the biggest justification for buying Rolex.. Great Resale... and it's true.. because the demand is so great, they have good resale, and because its almost impossible to get certain models in certain configurations sometimes.

If the only reason for wearing a watch is because of it's great resale, then I wouldn't do it.. I need to enjoy my watch, simple as that. Obviously resale is important if you are changing watches all the time, but if you dont even like them, then what's the point? Buy what you like, then you can never go wrong. That's my philosophy for all collecting - I dont collect to make money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Admin,

I agree, I ended up giving my Astromat to a friend and now I have the old 2 tone Chronomat and the Bentley. I like to keep them and I want more of them and will get more. However it's an added bonus if you do want to sell one and it brings a good price. I could sell my Chronomat to the jeweler where Naviman got his Navitimer World but I want to keep it for now because one day I may like trying out an old 39MM size. Right now though when I put that old one on it looks like a tiny little wafer to me after wearing this Bentley.

Post subject: I know what you mean.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:36 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I would never want to sell my Evolution, but it is just nice to know that if the NEED ever came there would still be some value there. When I was shopping for the Ling I also checked out the Rolex selection. I though the bezels looked cheep and actually flimsy next to the Chronomat. Besides being overpriced, Rolex watches I think are of at least somewhat lesser quality. Of course I am not saying they are crap, but the ones I looked at tarnished the fabulous Rolex reputation for me. After making a side-by-side comparison the choice was obvious. Thanks for all your answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:55 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Chronomatter,

In my opinion there is nothing like Lings but as far as other watches go I also like Zenith Defy series watches and Roger Dubuis watches. The Zenith Defy watches though are the closest to Lings in size and impressive looks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm interested in scoring an Anonimo.. I like the look of the Cronoscopio though they are only on straps. But I am mostly interested in Lings. When I went to Rodeo Jewelers they got me to try on some nice ones like the new Ebel 1911 BTR and the new Big-Daddy Concord.. both were really nice... the Concord was MASSIVE... like Full Ling sized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:57 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Admin,

If you are going to go outside the LING line get a Zenith Defy Extreme. I like those more every day. It's time for Sportback to get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:23 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I'm a member of the TRF (The Rolex Forum) and some members there are indeed hard core... Rolex or bust attitude.

This is why I like other forums like this one that are non biased...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rolex has done an amazing job of positioning themselves in the marketplace though... they outsell everyone else put together probably!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:07 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I love my Breitlings as much as the next guy, but to compare them to Rolex is apples to oranges so to speak. If and when breitling ever decides to become a Manufacture then perhaps we could compare the two. Until then enjoy your watches for what they are.

Frederick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even when I compare Rolex with other Manufactures, I would not choose Rolex over most. I think they two can still be compared, but doing so in any forum (especially a rolex forum) is the kindling for a flame war.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:32 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hello,

I am not sure what you mean by, "when they decide to become a manufature" Can you clarify? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Manufacture (such as Rolex, VC, Patek, AP, Glashutte Original, Nomos, FP, Harry Winston, Zenith, etc) designs and makes their own movements in-house, where as Breitling uses ETA Kits and tweaks/mods existing movements. Other watch comapnies like Breitling include Omega, Tag Heuer, Ebel, Concord, Fortis, Oris, etc... Ebel has become a Manufacture, however, and so has Omega... but the co-axial was not designed in-house but rather the design was purchased as I recall it. Then how do you classify something like the older Rolex Daytona which uses the El Primero movement from Zenith?