The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:11 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Every so often I wonder about this, especially when I read threads about people wearing fakes and knockoffs. They're often said to look tacky tasteless, trying too hard, etc. But I have seen many people wearing expensive, authentic designer watches and whose wealth, taste and status remain a mystery (because I don't know them). For example, a few weeks ago I saw two men in town with designer watches. One was an older, very expensively-dressed man who was wearing a Rolex watch. He looked very elegant. But maybe he'd just gone bankrupt! The other was a much younger, 'scruffy' - looking man who was sitting near a monument, smoking and cradling an authentic Omega watch. He could have been a millionaire, pauper or something in between!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:26 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
I don't think you can determine that much from a persons wrist watch. There are people on here who have scrimped and saved $500 to buy a second hand Breitling and others who have dozens of $10,000+ watches. Some multi-millionaires are happy wearing a $50 Casio.

Slightly OT but your question reminded me of this classic profile of who wears what on Timezone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Sharkmouth wrote:
I don't think you can determine that much from a persons wrist watch. There are people on here who have scrimped and saved $500 to buy a second hand Breitling and others who have dozens of $10,000+ watches. Some multi-millionaires are happy wearing a $50 Casio.

Slightly OT but your question reminded me of this classic profile of who wears what on Timezone.

:uplaugh: I'd not seen that before Sharky! Comedy!

On the OPs point, I agree with you (Sharky) think that watches often bear very little relation to social status. Obviously in general it's fair to say that genuine very expensive timepieces are worn by people with money because you need "spare" money to buy them, but as you quite rightly pointed out many people save for years to buy one very expensive watch.

Lots of people (sadly) buy expensive watches to try to raise their perceived social status somehow (or even worse, wear a fake), but that IMO is the worst reason to EVER buy a watch.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

:uplaugh: :uplaugh: :uplaugh: :uplaugh: :uplaugh: :uplaugh:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:37 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

So is it true that 99% of Breitlings are fakes like what the website portrays? Or, do they just say that to get people to buy from AD's? Because this also has me thinking....for example: I just bought my fiancee a new car Infiniti G37x to be exact. While doing the paper work I look down at our sales person's (about 28 years old)wrist(I'm a guy we all do that! lol) a noticed a B4B. I said, "nice watch"! He just replied, "thanks" in avery mono-toned voice. What I really should have at least asked was where did you buy it from? lol Dammit!

But anyways Fake or Real? It was a good knock if anything but then again a infiniti sales man wearing a $10k watch.....reallly?

Somethings just not right. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:55 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
You can just never tell with these things, a friend of mine is a car salesman yet wears a gold yachtmaster to work each day. He could never afford that on his salary, he inherited quite a lot of money so bought it. Your occupation doesn't always tie in with your net worth.

Rolex milgauss GV
Olivant and Botsford 40mm Gold edition

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I don't want to turn this into some socio-economic thing, but to me a watch is an expression of my individuality. I like being different from other people, I like to have a non typical lifestyle, and stuff what anyone else thinks. This whole attempt to pigeon hole based on what watch I wear, what car I drive, what label suit I wear, etc just irks me - I'm me, an individual, not part of a larger group.

I hope that not too many people agree with that sentiment, it'll make me feel too mainstream :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:55 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Agreed!

However, if I was someone who couldn't afford a Breitling however, loved the brand so much that I would buy a fake one. I wouldn't go around pretending that it was real. If someone asked me I wold straight up tell them "ITS FAKE" not, pretend I am someone I'm not ya know? Because for people such as ourselves who could ask questions that someone with a watch like that would know, we could easily find out if it is BS or not. Plus, I would be embarrassed if I tried hiding a fake watch (pretending it was real) and got caught red-handed. I just wish people would be "real" and don't try to pretend so much.

If you can't afford it GREAT thats fine by me but I think it's stupid to pretend to be someone or have something you don't. Thats fake to me.

Not trying to argue with anyone, just given my two cents! :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:01 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Here's my take:

If the watch is less than $10k then it can be obtained, maybe slowly, but obtained nonetheless by just about anybody with money management skills and a stable job.

If the watch is above that, then it's generally considered 'stupid money' by most of society. If you see a guy wearing a Patek, AP, VC, etc you can guarantee in one way or another he has money.

On the flip side, someone wearing a Casio does in no way mean they are poor.

The same can be said about cars. Mercedes, Lexus, etc can be obtained by many. If you see a Bentley chances are the guys got some cash.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:18 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
mboverst wrote:
Here's my take:

If the watch is less than $10k then it can be obtained, maybe slowly, but obtained nonetheless by just about anybody with money management skills and a stable job.

If the watch is above that, then it's generally considered 'stupid money' by most of society. If you see a guy wearing a Patek, AP, VC, etc you can guarantee in one way or another he has money.

On the flip side, someone wearing a Casio does in no way mean they are poor.

The same can be said about cars. Mercedes, Lexus, etc can be obtained by many. If you see a Bentley chances are the guys got some cash.

Exactly my thinking.

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:54 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sharkmouth wrote:

This is too funny, I just had gatorade come out my nose laughing at this. Thanks for the laugh!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:37 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

The John Candy "Uncle Buck" pic had me rolling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

thomasenlow1 wrote:

Wasn't Dan Akroyd in that movie with his Fake Rolex Sub? I am pretty sure it was that movie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
MacApple wrote:
thomasenlow1 wrote:

Wasn't Dan Akroyd in that movie with his Fake Rolex Sub? I am pretty sure it was that movie

You're thinking of "The Great Outdoors." I've always loved the boat they rent in that, Suck my Wake.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:00 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Fakes are fakes, and that's been discussed here and on other watch forums. I've said it for years, and seen others say it here: Quality watches are available at (nearly) all price points. There is no reason to wear a fake, when you can get a better piece for the amount the fake costs. In my opinion, 99% of fakes exist to be used by liars or criminals. I'm sure you can find a couple people on the planet who are just in love with the way one particular watch (out of thousands) looks, but can't afford. I'm sure those people exist, but that's not why most people buy fakes. People buy fakes to lie and steal.

Regarding social status: A fine watch establishes a certain minimum financial status. The Breitling I'm wearing cost more than ten years worth of wages in some countries. Unless I stole it, there's a lower limit of wealth that I need to get a Breitling (or Rolex, Omega, and so on).