The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:31 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
OK. So here's the dumb thing -- I'm a new Breitling owner and I thought the "3 Bars" meant that it could sustain submersion in water above 30M. So after a bit of time in the pool the crystal is fogged -- is this watch going to die and what if anything can I do to help this situation (as if I haven't done enough). Thanks for the help -- I'm in a panic.[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:15 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Wallraven,

The watch won't die. 6 years ago I rinsed and washed an Astromat Longitude with the crown unscrewed without knowing it was not tightly screwed in like it should have been before I got it wet. I didn't do anything but hold a hair dryer to the face. When it got hot the fog began to dry but then returned the next day. It took a few days for the fog to clear and then the buttons for the chronograph didn't work so I just wore it that way because it still kept perfect time unil I bought a Chronomat and then I took it in and had it fixed. I think you should probably do nothing until you call your dealer and see what they say. I found that holding the hair dryer to it with the crown unscrewed worked as far as drying it out but I wouldn't suggest doing that until you talk to a qualified Ling technician.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:45 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You'll need to send it in that's for sure.

I've read all kinds of things that people do while they wait to get the watch to a service center. Things like submersing it entirely in water and flooding the case so that there's no air (no air, no oxidation), to submersing it in cooking oil. No idea.

You could just let it run as is and take that chance like Mr. Whole Ling did. I know a friend who did the same thing with a different watch and it's been running fine for a couple years now. Though things seem not to be working properly so it's not a good sign.

OR... I'd at least pull the crown out so that you stop the watch and then bring it into your Breitling AD for further instructions.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
One thing I've done with cheaper watches when moisture has gotten inside, put it in a ziplock back with as many of those Moisture absorbed packages you can find.. you know the ones that come in packages of food and stuff and on it they say "DO NOT EAT". seal the bag so no air gets in it, and LOAD it with those little packages... with the crown unlocked and pulled out. Did this with a Luminox, and it cleared the fogging problem.. i left it like that for 2 weeks. I kept the Luminox for 1 1/2 years after that and it ran great... still running great for the new owner AFAIK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Wallraven,

I am VERY sorry to hear about your Navitimer. I also have a Navitimer World and I live in my pool all summer long down here. I would have never bought the watch if I knew beforehand that is was not waterproof(that is a deal breaker for me). I only realized this after I had been wearing it for two weeks(that is what I get for not doing my homework lol)I just figured I would be able to swim with my Navitimer as I always have with my other Breitlings. I can't believe that they did not make the watch waterproof. Yesterday as I was floating in my pool(sanswatch) I was thinking how bad it sucks not to know what time it is!!! I love the watch but what a serious design flaw it is not to have a waterproof watch!! I am wanting to get a Super Avenger to satisfy my WHOLE LING needs and swimming needs! Even though I love my Navitimer World I would not touch another Navitimer with a 10 foot pole unless they started to make them waterproof. I also have problems with my Navitimer now also. My second time zone does not work(another great feature of the Navitimer series haha!) Good luck with your water soaked World. Keep us posted with your situation. Naviman..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:15 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

This is the exact reason i did not buy this watch. One sales person tried to tell me that i could swim with it on, then when i asked if it was covered on the warranty he replied "no". Moral of the story, only buy 100 meter watches, do your research and dont listen to everything a sales person says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:14 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Wallraven,

How is your Navitimer doing? Did it dry out yet? Did you take it to the watchmaker yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:32 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Id take it in straight away.

May wife took a bath with her Roly on and as always the crown was slightly unscrewed.

We decided to leave it for a few weeks to see if we could clear the fogging and did things like leave it on the radiator and stuff, but it didnt work. By the time we took it in the water had corroded the dial and some of the internals were beyond repair. Replacing all the parts including a new dial for new cost us 4 times as much as it would have if we had taken it in right away.

Post subject: Navitimer no sweat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:12 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

:x I just joined this forum because of my Navitimer Olympus failure due to sweat. I didn't swim with mine just wore it to play golf. After nromal maintenace two years ago (bot it 1/5/2004!) I decided to play golf with it on, because to only wear it as dress bling wouldn't keep it running. Last Saturday, 9/15, the moisture showed up after the round. Just heard from Breitling today, $650 plus postage! What kind of deal is this. The advertsing clearly says 3 bars. That's 30 feet isn't it? I'm talking sweat. If this isn't a sport watch, say so. Should I fix it and sell it on ebay? If not there any recomendations?