Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steampunk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Since I'm relatively new here, I'm posting a topic about why I like Breitling. Actually, I only like some breitlings, namely the ones with the 4 lugs that stick out. The Bentley Flying B models are ok, but don't really do that much for me. I don't really like any of the other ones.

The reason I like the style with the lugs and matte-finished bezel is because it has a very steampunk look. Steampunk is a style associated with mechanical machinery from the Victorian era. For a good example of a steampunk world, read The Golden Compass (and the two sequals) by Philip Pullman or see the movie (though the book series is much better). Breitling seems like a watch that one of the characters might wear. Note that the first book is called Northern Lights for our British members, and the trilogy is called His Dark Materials.

I've always liked Steampunk, and after reading the trilogy and seeing the movie I like it even moreso. Breitling seems the perfect match since a form of aviation plays an important part in the story, though I won't say more since I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

There are 2 breitlings that I'd like to buy at some point. One is the Chronomat 2-tone with black arabic dial (which I decided on after posting about it in another topic), on an SS bracelet. I'd probly get the black rubber strap too, and switch back and forth every so often. I think that the TT bracelet is too blingy. As I said in the other topic, I think blue is a current fad, brought about by the invention of the blue LED, which is seen as high-tech. I also like the fact that black and yellow/gold are Breitling's colors. This would be more of a casual, every-day watch. I was a bit disappointed to find that the bezel has a brushed finish, in the pictures I've seen it looked bead-blasted, which I would have liked better.

The other one I like is the Cockpit with the rose gold and steel case, MOP dial, and black leather strap with deploymenet clasp. The brassy look of the rose gold, and the use of natural materials adds to the steampunk look. The large-date complication and ornate crown compliment this perfectly. Together, it makes a very dressy watch with a classic look, but it doesn't look like something an old fogey would wear. I would probly get this one first, but I really want a chronograph.

There are two other watches I like, both Rolex, the green-bezel submariner, and the white-face explorer (waiting to see what they do to this at Basel). The customization available for Breitlings is nice but I think hurts their resale value (as it does for Rolex datejusts). There is a much smaller market available because you probly don't have the exact watch that a potential buyer wants. Enough about Rollies though...

So, why do YOU like Breitling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I'm not sure I agree with your Steampunk assessment. From my vast knowledge of Steampunk (5 minutes of searching on the web just now- LOL), it seems more like a Jules Verne/Mad Max sort of thing. I think a Breitling, even a brushed case Breitling would look anachronistic in the setting you described. But hey, if that's what you like about 'em, so be it.

I like Breitlings because of the unique styling (chunky cases, simple-looking but highly detailed dials), the bracelet quality, and the overall durability of the watch. It's hard to describe a Breitling to a person who has never picked one up -- I like that too. It's like knowing a secret.

P.S. I did find a link to a watch which seems to fit the Steampunk genre much more.

https://www.guild.com/artitem/36913.html

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:55 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Well, for one thing, steampunk is more of a name for a genre, a loose collection of art and artifacts, not really a specific thing. The style of steampunk I prefer is more of the Wild Wild West (movie) / Golden Compass type. Basically, what things might be like if electricity had never really come into use. While it's true that steampunk blends in with industrial, anarchistic (Mad Max), antique, and sci-fi (Jules Verne) styles, it also has a more refined, more elegant side. Basically, what things might be like if steam had remained predominant. Mechanical complexity is a big part of what makes steampunk what it is, otherwise you're just talking about rusty old junk... xD

For some more examples of what I like, see http://steampunkworkshop.com which is the site which got me interested in the first place.

Here's a watch that I think is really cool, but is impractical and costs way more than I could ever afford http://harrytan.sg/watches/VianneyAntiqua/

The Breitlings I like have just enough of the steampunk look to be recognizable, without being geeky, artsy, overly-dramatic, or impractical. They're also a high-quality, durable swiss watch that can be serviced by the manufacturer, and have the features that you described.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Vianney Halter makes a beautiful watch, and the Golden Compass was an incredible movie! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
Vianney Halter makes a beautiful watch, and the Golden Compass was an incredible movie! :)

And the Perpetual Antiqua is a hell of a lot of watch for the money (around $60 - 65K) - I'd buy one in an instant if I could afford it (and find one). I love the concept of the sapphire crystal rotor.

Post subject: Re: Steampunk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
FlyingMoose wrote:
Actually, I only like some breitlings, namely the ones with the 4 lugs that stick out.

Question - by the above do you mean the rider tabs on the bezel? (Only asking as all watches have lugs as they are the parts of the case that the bracelet/strap attaches to). If you do mean the rider tabs, then I think we'd all agree that they do give a watch that classic Breitling "look".

FlyingMoose wrote:
As I said in the other topic, I think blue is a current fad, brought about by the invention of the blue LED, which is seen as high-tech.

Interesting to hear your reasons for liking Breitlings (albeit only some Breitlings! :wink: ) and everyone is entitled to their reasons that I wouldn't dream of disagreeing with. BUT, I personally don't agree that blue is a "fad colour" when it comes to Breitling. A quick look through the Chronologs back to 1997 and the more simple catalogues before that, will reveal that blue (used on dials, leather straps and diver straps) has been plentiful in the Breitling range for a long long time. Sure it's a matter of opinion if you like them or not, but I'd personally just disagree it was a fad. Just my 2p worth.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yes, I meant the rider tabs, didn't know what they were called, thanks.

I'd probly have to see the blue in person to really know whether I like it. In all the pictures of the current chronomat it looks kind of like a "blah", average matte blue. However, I saw an older model in person recently, and the blue was very dark, almost black, which I think I'd like. I had to actually ask if it was blue or black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

FlyingMoose wrote:
I'd probly have to see the blue in person to really know whether I like it.

Yeah there really is no substitute to seeing and handling them in person. And to be honest Breitling use different blues on their models as well. For example the matt blue used on an SA is appears much darker than the blue used on a Navitimer. Check 'em out in person before deciding - that's part of the fun anyway! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:11 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Here's some more realistic pictures (not manufacturer's, with flat lighting): http://www.clockmaker.com.au/w/k295.html

I can't tell if the dial is slightly blue, or if it's just the AR coating...

I really like the look of that watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:29 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I've just checked out that link - it's a black dial. The blue is (as you rightly said) the AR coating. Nice watch.... although my personal favourite Chronomat is this baby (not the best picture of it - in the flesh/metal it's beautiful) -

http://www.authenticwatches.com/breitli ... -b821.html

If only it was bigger than 43.7mm......

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Crazy -- we were just talking about this. Apparently you are ahead of your time, FlyingMoose.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... &rid=66933

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

MoreCowbell wrote:
Crazy -- we were just talking about this. Apparently you are ahead of your time, FlyingMoose.

I don't like those watches on that link though.....

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:50 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Driver8 wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:

I don't like those watches on that link though.....

Agreed.

I don't fancy those at all.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

MoreCowbell wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the link. Actually, to me those look more industrial or military, they don't really have the elegance of the Breitlings (see, for example, the crown on the Chronomat or the Cockpit).