Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UK vs USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:22 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I would like to purchase a Bentley Motors or 6.75 Steel with white/silver dail. It seems the price is so big that I could fly from LDN to NY buy it online for cheaper than getting it from the online shops in the UK. Is this the real situation?! Any idea what pricing is realistic on both models?

Post subject: Re: UK vs USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:16 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
rogier wrote:
I would like to purchase a Bentley Motors or 6.75 Steel with white/silver dail. It seems the price is so big that I could fly from LDN to NY buy it online for cheaper than getting it from the online shops in the UK. Is this the real situation?! Any idea what pricing is realistic on both models?

Yes that is the real situation! As a fellow UK inhabitant, I too spend a lot of time scouring watch internet sites that don't have ".co.uk" written after them, and invariably get throughly p*ssed off at the prices we pay over here! In terms of what is "realistic pricing" for both models... well, all I can say is that prices vary considerably. A UK AD will rush you just over £5k for a Motors on a bracelet. By contrast I've seen Stateside mall-based watch shops selling brand new Motors on their internet sites for the equivalent of £3K. :shock: Sure these US shops are not official AD's but they are often established jewellers with brand new stock with all the serial numbers intact etc.

A word of warning though - if you buy over the net from the US, expect to be hit with a VAT/import/handling/anything-else-you-can-think-of tax bill at this end once Customs get hold of it. This can be around 20% to 25% or so which, on the afore mentioned Motors, will mean an additional £600 to £750 on top of the purchase price.

Buying one abroad and wearing it back is another option, but again Customs can challenge you on a nice new shiny watch and charge you the above taxes in person. (They may also consider your apparent lack of honesty in failing to declare it as an invitation for them to don the rubber gloves! :shock: Not a healthy prospect if you are intending to sit down again anytime soon!!! :lol: )

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:26 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Jump on a plane and haggle at a Tourneau store. They will give you 10% off the bat and you can get down a bit more. Or go to the Fortunoff store in White Plains NY on a pay no tax weekend and you can get a 10-15% discount and save the tax. Both stores are online so you can check them out from the UK. BRING CASH!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:38 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Alternatively rogier, you could just buy this Motors that our very own Admin is selling -

http://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1553

If you are looking for one on a strap then you could do a lot LOT worse....

Site Moderator