The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I just sat and played a bit with the date function on the 6.75 and noticed something that I thought was a little bit odd. The first date wheel with the numbers 0-1-2-3 actually consist of the numbers 0-0-1-2-3. I guess it's a bit geeky to notice and to think it's cool... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Interesting... Any idea the purpose for the second zero? My only thought is that it has something to do with the '3' (tens) only being used for two days (the 30th and 31st) and there is the '32' - '39' to burn through to get back to '01'-'09'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I have the same thoughts as the Baron. I asked my AD about a month ago, how the big date works on that movement. He explained about the two wheels, and added that it takes quite the engineering to get it back to 01 after 29, 30 or 31. The extra 0 must play some part in that. Apparently there are some cheaper brands that do have a similar big date display, but they keep on going after the last day of the month for example 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 etc. and I guess you have to keep advancing the mechanism manually to get back to 01. You can well imagine, not so with a Breitling. Just one more reason why that expensive movement is only in the Blackbird and Bentley 6.75. I did look at both the Blackbird, and the Bentley 6.75. The Bentley unfortunately, although I feel it is one of Breitling's most beautiful and one of my very favourites, just did not seem to suit my lifestyle, for want of a better explanation. At the time, I chose the Steelfish over the Blackbird as I like them both equally but for different reasons.
That B49 movement, with the big date at 12 o'clock gives the watch a very well-rounded and balanced appearance, and makes both the Bentley 6.75 and Blackbird even more attractive.
Cheers,
Carl