It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chrono cockpit query
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:14 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,
I'm about to buy my first Breitling and am deciding between the Chrono Cockpit and the Superocean Heritage 38 because of my small wrist. I'm leaning toward the chrono though I don't need all its functions but like the way it looks. But it seems no one here ever mentions it. Is there something I should know about that watch? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
The Cockpit Chrono is an outstanding looking watch. It is actually a bit smaller (2mm) than the Cockpit. If you don't need the Chronograph functions, have you considered the Cockpit? It is really outstanding with the grey dial, too bad they don't offer a bronze dial like the chrono though.
The Cockpit Chrono really looks amazing with the Roman numerals.
There are some excellent photos of the Cockpit in the Forum Gallery section: http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=110
This might be a good choice if you like the Cockpit look, but don't use the chronograph functions. It also has the new Breitling 49 movement with the big date, which is pretty unique. I tried one on, and it really fits well on the wrist.
The SOH 38mm is an excellent looking watch also. I would go for the bronze dial with the silver bracelet, but they all look great. Tough decision! Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:48 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I own a 1997 Breitling Chronomat. The current chrono cockpit has roughly the same specifications as the older chronomats. The old "Chronomat" was renamed to the "Chrono Cockpit" when the new, larger, "Chronomat Evolution" was released.

I have enjoyed this watch tremendously. Much like yourself, I have small wrists, and cannot wear some of the larger lings. My favorite part of the watch is the appearance of the dial. I rarely use the features, but the appearance of the sub-dials at 12, 9, and 6 are what really make the watch special.

The current models of this watch use only the roman numerals for hour markers. However, previous "chronomat" models have used both arabics, as well as dots, or strait lines. You could probably find one of the older models used if you did a little looking. Also, my AD in Maryland has an older model with the "dots" in stock. He would ship it to you if you preferred that style.

If you like the appearance and are looking for a smaller watch I wouldn't hesitate to go with the chrono-cockpit. It is based on the original chronomat, which was Breitling's best selling watch for many years. It may have become less prevalent with the advent of the larger watches, but that doesn't make it any less special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:04 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the input. While it's certain that I don't need chronograph functions, It's also true that I really don't need another watch at all. I have a perfectly good auto Omega Constellation, and a quartz Tag Heuer Ti5. But boys need their toys and I've always wanted either a Breitling or a Rolex; decided the Rolex, as great as it is, was boring. So tomorrow I'm going to the local AD to order the Chrono Cockpit-stainless steel, blue dial with silver subdials. Even though this is a belated 60th birthday gift to myself, I'm as excited as a kid getting a new bike or xbox or whatever turns them on these days. Thanks for the advice.
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Sounds great! Hope you'll get the watch as quick as possible, and that you post some nice pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Great choice! Would love to see some pics.. not to many Chrono Cockpit owners here..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:23 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

docmick1 wrote:
Even though this is a belated 60th birthday gift to myself, I'm as excited as a kid getting a new bike or xbox or whatever turns them on these days

:) That about sums it up. Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

docmick1 wrote:
So tomorrow I'm going to the local AD to order the Chrono Cockpit-stainless steel, blue dial with silver subdials. Even though this is a belated 60th birthday gift to myself, I'm as excited as a kid getting a new bike or xbox or whatever turns them on these days. Thanks for the advice.
Mark

I can feel your excitement! I will also be 60 in a couple of years. It is great that certain things in life still give us such pleasure! I was counting the days ("How many sleeps.....") before I got my last Breitling. It's a SuperOcean Steelfish, and I love it. I almost went for the Blackbird, but for over 3 grand difference in price, I would have really had to like it more than the Steelfish. I am planning a month-long trip, probably to South America in 2010, to celebrate my 60th, so my next big purchase of a timepiece will likely be for my 65th, I may also decide to retire then.
Anyway, I am more than certain you will get years of pleasure from the Chrono Cockpit. The whole Windrider series is amazing. I actually had a look at a Chrono Cockpit today, in the window at an AD, and that is one incredible watch, especially when you consider the relatively small size.
Here's to years of enjoyment!
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:15 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks to all who contributed advice. I ordered a Chrono Cockpit today; it is in stock in Connecticut so my AD will have it by the weekend. Getting the blue dial with silver subs and Pilot steel bracelet. I was tempted by a Chrono Superocean in the same colors that was in the store, but decided to hold out for the one I really wanted.

I'll post a photo if I can learn how to embed it in a message.

Thanks again. Mark