It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: scratched crystal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:34 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi guys,

A few days ago I got myself a new CA from an AD (papers, warranty, everything OK).

Today I was looking at it and noticed a very small scratch on the crystal surface. You really need to look hard to find it (position the watch so the light hits the crystal at a very specific angle, etc)

I have own a Tag for more than 10 years with everyday use (and abuse) and it has not a single scratch on the crystal. But my new Breitling after a few days has a minor one...

Is this something I should be worried about? would it affect the water resistance of the watch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Maybe that isn't a scratch, the crystal is very proof.
Try hard to scratch that scratch with your finger nail, it may go off.
On some of my previous watches I tested the crystal, there was no way to ruin it. I even tried with a razor sharp piece of rock. No way, it's so hard material. In case that it is a scratch, it won't affect it's water resistance cos' the crystal has their thickness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hi Waterproof,

If the scratch on your crystal really is a scratch, then I would guess that it is only on the AR coating as you'd certainly know if you caught your watch hard enough to damage the sapphire. Breitling put an AR coating on both sides of the crystal, whereas all Tag's that I'm aware of only have an AR coating on the inside. (If your Tag's crystal looks more shiny, it's because it only has AR on the inside). There are pros and cons to both schools of thought -

The main pro of having an outside coating of AR is that as sapphire crystal has a higher refractive and reflective index than glass, watches with sapphire crystal suffer badly from reflection and glare. An AR coating on the inside doesn't do a huge amount to combat this, but the outside AR makes a BIG difference in terms of readability. It's this that makes Breitlings look almost as if they have no crystal in them.

The main con of an outside AR coating is that while it is VERY tough, it's certainly not scratch proof to the extent that the underlying crystal is. Thus, it IS indeed possible to scratch the AR, but personally I love the outside AR coating as I love the "invisibility" it gives the crystal.

If it is just the AR, then there is no way that it's water resistancy would be compromised.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:37 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for the answers.

Does it make sense to have it repaired? Is it a simple procedure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
bnewbie wrote:
Try hard to scratch that scratch with your finger nail, it may go off.

I wouldn't try TOO hard to scratch off the scratch with your finger nail.. you might end up scratching the AR coating even more.. but give it a good clean.. its most likely the AR Coating is scuffed.. if it bothers you that much, you should just buff the whole AR coating off the front of the crystal. I've done that before.. not hard to do at all with the right tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:47 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Waterproof wrote:
Thanks for the answers.
Does it make sense to have it repaired? Is it a simple procedure?

You're welcome. :thumbsup: In answer to your questions - if you could get it repaired, then I'd say yes, but that's because I hate any damage on my watches (I'm funny like that!), but in order to repair it Breitling would have to strip all the old AR and then recoat it. As this process is quite a tricky one (and probably not cost effective), then I'd suggest getting Breitling to simply replace the crystal at your watch's next service. This will still cost you, but will be a lot easier than trying to get the existing one stripped and then recoated.

(Incidentally, if you really want to persue the recoating route, I did hear of some glasses lens manufacturers doing AR coatings, so you may be able to getone of them to do something for you....... But my personally opinion would be to wait until a service is due and just get the whole crystal replaced).

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
I don't see why Breitling puts crystal on their watches if the AR is much softer than crystal itself. I can see that double coating brings dial to 'glow', but is it a good compromise between that and totally indestructible (trust me, gave my best shots) single sided AR?