Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why a Breitling?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
First time here but I want to know from you guys, what made you choose a Breitling when there's Rolex, Omega, etc.

For me Breitling is almost synonymous with avionics which is my reason for choosing it. I'm not a pilot but a frequent flyer who loves the skies. The watch just speaks to me and I love the styling that reflect its theme. For me Breitling is a tool watch that you'll always need practically. When you wear a Breitling, you know it's not as "famous" as Rolex which is also famously faked. I feel better wearing a Breitling in that sense too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:59 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I admit to not being too fussed about 'names' - I've been let down too many times in the past by so-called brand leaders, but when it came to thinking about changing from my Submariner (that had been on my wrist for 30 years!!) I simply looked at all the 'quality' watch manufacturers and Breitling won on pure looks.

In terms of pure style, I can't honestly say I like any of the Omegas, I already own a Rolex; Longines, Tag, Cartier and the rest make very 'pretty' watches, but I need something that stands up to being used - I rarely take my watch off and it therefore has to be 'me-proof' (which is why I've just changed from a Crocodile strap to a SS bracelet on my Chronomat Evo)

I love the feel and the weight of the Chronomat, and for the past six months since I bought it, it's lost 3 seconds a day which I consider pretty damn accurate for a mechanical watch.

Although I like large watches, I personally couldn't give a monkeys if people notice (or not) the fact that I'm wearing a Breitling, and the mere fact that the Navitimer can't really be called waterproof sadly precludes a purchase - I have to be able to do anything whilst wearing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

sportback wrote:
I love the feel and the weight of the Chronomat, and for the past six months since I bought it, it's lost 3 seconds a day which I consider pretty damn accurate for a mechanical watch.

Good choice Sportback! I also chose the Chronomat for my first Breitling. The Chronomat along with its Pilot bracelet is simply a superb styling combo. Mine is also as accurate as yours (but on the plus side, +3 sec/day).

For my 25th wedding anniversary, I'm thinking of the Skyland Avenger in Stainless Steel. I have to ask the wife first. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:44 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

We obviously look for similar things in terms of 'style' - I've just ordered an Avenger Skyland 'Blacksteel' - there are only 2000 worldwide and I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I recently added a Chrono Avenger - in titanium - to my (small) collection. It complies with all my criteria, but as it's in titanium it's quite a lot lighter.

Still like it tho!

I must correct an earlier statement - my Chronomat gains 3secs, like yours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I prefer Breitling products for both style and accuracy.

I have never, ever, had one minutes trouble with Breitling.

AND NEVER EVER has anyone asked me if it was "for real" or a Replica.
(Commonly asked on Rolex owners - yuk).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Dutkowski wrote:
AND NEVER EVER has anyone asked me if it was "for real" or a Replica.
(Commonly asked on Rolex owners - yuk).

Not being critical, but genuinely interested as to why you sell replicas if it bothers you that people ask if the watch is real? By selling them aren't you fueling the fake watch industry?

Post subject: GUILTY!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:35 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You have every right to think and ask that question.

HOPEFULLY, I am selling to people who really appreciate the REAL THING and striving to, someday, purchasing a Non Replica.

I do know for a fact that many of the buyers of my ETA (copy of) movement watches are using the Replicas as "stand ins" for rougher wear use. Playing sports, etc..................
Kind of like Ladies wearing "paste" Crown Jewels, except at State Occasions.

(I hope the above is NOT just "so much justification" for doing what I am doing.......could be! )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the answer, and thanks for not getting defensive about it. I am probably more accepting than others towards replicas.. I know that in some forums you can't even talk about them because people get so heated. I personally have bought replicas in the past, when i could not afford the real thing and now wear only the real thing. Same with handbags for the girlfriend.. started as fake, then only real now that I can afford it.

Post subject: Yep--Replicas
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Wouldn't it be a much better world with a little understanding all round.

Pretty well everyone I know who wears a Replica is looking to the day they can afford "The Real Thing".

I will never forget the day I bought my first REAL (Lowly) Longines... and a Whitnaur for my wife .

Post subject: I Like This Forum
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:14 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You guys are open minded and honest. People who just love watches whether fake or real. It's just a watch. Of course I won't buy fakes if I could afford the real thing too. I love watches period, and am not really into the politics of it. Thanks Breitlingsource for having this open forum for everybody who loves watches. I feel at home here.

Please make no mistake because I'm not endorsing anyone to buy fakes at all. They are just there like toys. The genuine article is always the best thing to own and that you can pass to your grandkids later on as an heirloom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also do not condone the buying of replicas.. just because I did it I don't encourage it. Discussion is fine, however.

Invicta does so much of that design theft but markets it under a different name and slightly different styling... like their Bell & Ross BR-01 copies.