Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:21 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
latif99 wrote:
I got my B55 about 15 days ago. On the first day, I got couple of scratches on the lug and bracelet and after 15 days, it looked like 20 year old watch... googling on how to remove scratches, I found many ways.. I decided to try a very simple way. I used a microfiber cloth stretched on the floor and put few drops of car wax and some elbow grease rubbing.. The results were amazing and I got 99.9% of the scratches off.
My problem is not removing the scratches, but actually getting them in the first place. I am surprised at paying almost 7000 Dollars for the watch and getting a scratch prone watch! The watch is amazing and it was my dream watch. In comparison, I have a Swiss Rado watch for almost 20 years that has ceramic watchband and sapphire glass, after 20 years, the watch still look like showroom condition although I wore it for many years day and night.
I guess my question is, are there any ceramic based bracelet bands that can fit the B55 including the curved end joining the watch? or if there are any protection that I can apply to protect from scratches? something like ceramic nano coating?

Nothing you can do other than to be more careful when wearing the watch. You should know than while Titanium has double the strength of stainless steel yet weighs half the weight it is a very scratch prone and soft material. I believe Breitling uses grade 5 titanium in the B50/55 models but still it will show scratches if you bang it enough.

That is the trade off. The B55 is a rather large 46mm watch and thanks to its titanium construction you can comfortably wear it. But the trade off is the minimized wear resistance of the metal surface.

I can offer another tip to remove scratches: use an ink pen eraser. Works a treat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:23 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Do a Google search for Bergeon Brush Blocks.

Get the medium and fine ones. It takes some practice, but it's best to take the bracelet off the watch and separate the two bracelet pieces, i.e. at the clasp. Use long, even strokes to try to replicate the original finish. Use the medium first if you have deepish scratches, then finish with the fine.

I use them on my watches, especially my Aerospace Avantage. I'm super careful with my watches but no matter what I do, the titanium always ends up with slight scratches. I do it every so often to keep the finish looking nice.

murray32 wrote:
I have the SO Steelfish with the Professional II bracelet. Is there any way to buff out scratches on the brushed metal bracelet? I asked my AD the other day and they said they can only remove scratches on polished metal bracelets, not brushed metal. Anyone out there have another opinion?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
I've brushed a number of bracelets during my ownership and I prefer to use artifex wheels and /or garryflex blocks which are similar to the Bergeon ones but cheaper.

The Pro II links being curved can be difficult to brush evenly, so what I do is :
Detach bracelet from watch, detach clasp. Using thin wire (or fishing line) join bracelets and end links together and wrap tightly around a solid cylinder... As if worn on a wrist but minus the clasp. A wine bottle is perfect to mount it on.
Attach abrasive wheel to a variable speed drill or bench grinder on lowest speed, rotating the bracelet around like a rolling pin, with light pressure. Rotate in same direction as wheel, downwards so the particles don't go in your eyes.
Alternatively use the abrasive block in a vertical stroke in one direction only.
Do the clasp separately in a similar manner.

I find that the proper blocks or wheels achieve the easiest and most uniform results than scouring pads if you are doing a whole bracelet. Pads are fine for quick fixes.

I use the fibre pens for titanium if the scratches are small and light.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:17 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I would personally just leave it as it is or you will be continually trying to remove scratches everytime you wear it. You will just scratch it again the next time you put it on so it will be never ending. When i first got my chronomat with a polished pilot bracellet i was continualy polishing the clasp as it was always getting scratched but now i just leave it the way it is. Just wear it and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:22 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 86 posts

This is what it looked like when I bought it.

This is what it looked like when I brushed it.

This is what it looked like two days ago.
I would suggest using a Scotchbrite pad from Lowe's plumbing dept with a very light hand. It can be cut into smaller pieces and will last you a lifetime. I used a dremel with a synthetic wheel to brush the watch and the Scotch Brite to clean up the areas I could not reach with the wheel. Slow and light is the best advice I can give you.

This is my Steelfish and how I can keep it with the Scotch Brite pad.