Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:01 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi!

I'm new here (first post). I do not own a Breitling, but that will hopefully change.

I like the look of Breitling watches and each time I think I have found the one I want, I change my mind again... I think I've narrowed it down to the Aerospace, Superocean and colt Quartz. I like the Avengers and the Seawolf too, but my wrist is pretty thin (6.5 inches I think), so they are a bit too big I think...

Hopefully someone can help me out a little bit:
* I know quartz is very accurate and I like that. My question is: how inaccurate are the mechanical watches? I'm looking for someone who can tell me how many seconds or minutes(!) a mechanical watch is slow or fast after, say, one month. I could easily live with a few seconds every month, but minutes are bit much IMHO... When do you guys reset time on yours?
* I found on some web-site that colt watches are the entry level and are mostly for women. Is that true? Are they of lower quality?
* How oftern do Breitling watches need service? Mechanical more often than Quartz? Average price for a service? Can it be done by the AD or do they send it to Breitling?
* Does the glow in the dark last all night or does it need "recharging" with a light source?
* If I buy one from an AD, how can I be sure I get a new (=recent) one? It could have been in the window for years...
* How long does a Breitling watch last (with proper care and maintenance)? Any difference there between mechanical and quartz? I got a watch from my father and felt like a big man. I want to do the same for my son, but he's 2 now...
* The glare proof glass is less resistant to scratches, but is it really easy to scratch it now?

I like a good accurate dependable watch that can take normal day abuse and a bit more, is waterproof enough for swimming, not too shiny or fancy (so no gold!), not too big for my wrist and will last many years (timeless design). Of all Breitling watches in the 2007 Chronolog, what would you pick? Any advice is appreciated and any motivation for a certain model is very welcome!

Thanks for reading!

Bjorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:41 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Ok, that's a lot of ground to cover, but let's try.

Breitling's quartz watches are actually something called SuperQuartz - I'll avoid the technical explanation, but basically it results in accuracy to less than 10 seconds a year.

All Breitling mechanical watches are COSC certified and that certification requires the accuracy of a movement to within -4 and +6 seconds in a 24 hour period. Every watch will vary slightly, but they should be within that range when wee maintained.

The Colt range is more of an entry level watch for Breitling, but an entry level Breitling is still better than the vast majority of watches available and you are still getting a COSC certified timepiece, with the same level of quality. I wouldn't describe them as a ladies watch.

Mechanical Breitlings should be serviced whenever they start losing or gaining more time than is reasonable - likely every 5 years or so, although if you dive then you will want the gaskets replaced every 2 years, or maybe every 12 months if you dive deep and often. Comprehensive servicing usually requires the watch being sent to a service centre. Quartz watch battery life will vary depending on a lot of factors including temperature change, use of any chronometre functions, etc - the AD can give you the approximate range. Remember also that if a quartz watch has a problem beyond simply a run down battery you may well be looking at replacing the whole movement, or at least he board.

Super Luminova is the best (legal) lume on the market and is used by virtually all luxury brands. The quality and longevity of the lume will depend on the amount used on each watch as well as the amount of time and intensity of light that the watch was exposed to. The lume will fade over the course of a night, but sould still retain some luminosity.

If you buy from an AD there are two ways of telling when the watch was made. On the watch case between the lower (6 o'clock) interhorns is the manufacture date in WWYY format - your AD should be prepared to remove the strap / bracelt to show you. Also, on bracelet models there is a code on the last link on both sides of the bracelet - a letter followed by 4 numbers. Again, the numbers are the manufacture date in WWYY format. Don't assume that the bracelet and watch were manufactured at the same time - check both.

How long does a Breitling watch last - as long as you want it to. If you look after it then it will last virtually for ever - the quartz mechanism will eventually need replacing; the mechanical servicing will, over time, mean that many of the parts are non original, but you will still have a great timepiece. Assuming that parts are available you won't have any problems - potentially more of a problem for quartz in the future than mechanical.

In terms of which one you shoud get - that's personal, go to an AD, try on the ones you like and see which one hits you in the gut - that's the one you should buy (first!!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thank you for your time and explanation!!

Very clear and helpfull!

Bjorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Wow Roff! That was very helpful indeed. I definately agree with what he's said, but one of the most important question when asking for help picking a Ling is budget... how much do you want to spend?

The models in the Windrider line have much nicer bracelets than the Aeromarine and Professional watches... so that is something to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

breitlingsource wrote:
Wow Roff! That was very helpful indeed.

No need to sound so surprised :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:15 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Was it a quiet day at the office today then Roff? :wink: :lol:
No, that was a seriously good introduction to the wondeful world of watches. :thumbsup:

There you go Bjorn - exactly what Roffensian (and Admin) said. Get down to an AD and try a few on. One (or more) will just leap out at you when they hit your wrist. Happy hunting!

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:24 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Driver8 wrote:

You really do know how to hurt a guy's feelings don't you!!! :cry:

As a small business owner a quiet day at the office is anything less than 26 hours, but if you must know a little bird tells me that the latest edition of Benno is coming for Christmas so I'm off the vintage hunt until the 25th so have more time for this wonderful bunch.

The TT Legende is still calling me, but so is the fact that both my wife and I need new cars (if we didn't I'd have bought Altair's Datora by now too) - so it's a good job I work so hard to pay for it all 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

You really do know how to hurt a guy's feelings don't you!!! :cry:

:lol: Awww, you know I don't mean it Roff! Just a bit of festive banter in case you let your new-found novel writing talent go to your head too much! :wink:

You need to get that TT Legende. I've kind of gone off the SS one as I just seem to think the gold hands clash a little with the silver hour markers..... The TT doesn't have that problem as the hour markers are gold too. Go on - treat yourself!

Site Moderator